The problem with the past two Cadets shows...

In light of your insightful opinion, I wonder how you jibe the Cadets' BOD being on board with the G7? I can understand one guy being OK with a target on his back, but would you contend his BOD is comfy wearing one on theirs?

(for clarity: I don't have the insight you do into Cadets and I'm honestly asking because of your alum status and insight into the org.)

Assets

Cash $278,223

Property and Equipment

Vehicles $127,646

Equipment $116,668

Other $4,479

Total Property and Equipment $248,793

Inventory $276,193

Corporate and Individual Grants Pledged $177,000

Fees and Purchases Due $51,000

Other Receivables $205,244

Total Assets $1,236,452

Liabilities

Accounts Payable $287,143

Credit Cards Payable $653

Bank Debt

Vehicle Loans $37,854

Line of Credit $50,000

Other Liabilities $133,179

Total Liabilities $508,828

Net Equity $727,623

Income

Tuitions, Fees and Membership Payments $570,562 13%

Events Income including Ticket Sales $1,605,595 36%

Donations, Grants and Sponsorships $1,077,393 24%

Merchandise and other Sales $776,467 17%

Performance Fees, Educational Programs $209,829 5%

Sales of Assets $170,953 4%

Other income $109,000 2%

Total Income $4,519,799

Costs and Expenses

Rehearsing, Touring, and Programs $1,113,739 27%

Event Promotion and Management $1,324,156 32%

Fund Raising $218,619 5%

Merchandise and Sales Operations $605,948 15%

Occupancy, Tech, Insurance , Phones, Supplies $312,537 8%

Admin Personnel, Taxes and Benefits $244,466 6%

Meetings, Seminars, and Travel $106,154 3%

Depreciaton and other expense $213,783 5%

Total Costs & Expenses $4,139,402

Non-Audited Fund Balance $302,254

Just looking at those numbers from the 2009 annual report ............ why would the board be complaining? If you want to read the full report ... here's the link: http://www.yea.org/site/DocServer/YEA_2009...pdf?docID=20662

I can say with certainty that I've never seen the BoD of YEA! publicly say anything negative about Hop in any way shape or form ... other than sunshine, fluff and butterflies. The long list of contributors to the organization has grown substantially in 08 and 09 ...... It will be interesting to see the 2011 report and compare.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I understand your point of view better now. While I don't understand the whole G7 thing, I do believe he is doing what he believes is in the best interest of the Corps. If there is some ulterior motive, then I agree with your feelings. I do know that in a leadership position my motives are questioned and it is easy for people to draw incorrect conclusions because they don't have all the info. They are also not accountable for for the safety and success of the organization. Sometimes I can't share all the information. Sucks to be a leader sometimes.

How is it that there are 6 other corps involved in this but he is the only bad guy? I find it hard to believe that George concocted a wild and crazy scheme and cajoled the other corps into it with them not believing in it at all. Perhaps they are using him as the fall guy?

The G7 thing will work itself out.

All the information you will ever need about G7 is in the World Series of Drum Corps section of DCP. You can find it at the top of the World Class links. While Hop is most vocal, Dave Gibbs is just as strong a supporter of this move. Some of the other G7 corps have shown signs of wavering and now a second (less offensive proposal) has now been leaked to the public. It's still a money grab and based on the annual report of YEA! I don't understand the need for the actions of the G7. I'm simply baffled and deflated by their actions.

All the information you will ever need about G7 is in the World Series of Drum Corps section of DCP. You can find it at the top of the World Class links. While Hop is most vocal, Dave Gibbs is just as strong a supporter of this move. Some of the other G7 corps have shown signs of wavering and now a second (less offensive proposal) has now been leaked to the public. It's still a money grab and based on the annual report of YEA! I don't understand the need for the actions of the G7. I'm simply baffled and deflated by their actions.

well....USSBA may be hurting some this year. with cuts in NJ music programs, he may be losing bands that host shows that make YEA money, or go to championships where they have to pay anywhere from $700 on up to attend. knowing what USSBA charges to run shows, with any of their options, and what thei judges get paid, YEA makes money on every show.

I've been a critic of The Cadets until last year. I liked the show this year except for the "Geoffrey Character". The Marching block at the beginning of the show was just awsome. I wish I could get footage of that without Jeffrey Lewis running around ruining the moment.

I hope the Cadets keep moving in the direction of more traditional Drum Corps.

I think the problem is with the Cadets' fan's expectations for Cadets' placement

Cadets fans always travel well to finals so its even more notable, dare I say obnoxious, than that other corps that always acts like they should win and thinks all the other corps are beneath them

Sheesh. Reading this thread is giving me bad case of indigestion.

If I close my eyes and think of the Cadets over the decades I think of a corps that has supreme class. Lush sound and discipline in all captions. Their drill has always been some of the best written. After watching 1987, who in the world didn't want to be a Cadet?

Mr. Hopkins pushed some pretty radical stuff in the mid 2000's and I thought it was a departure from what makes the Cadets great (and most of you did too). Then the 2009 show rolls out and I wanted to shout for joy. It was mostly everything the critics had called for. It was straight up drum and bugle corps.

This year...for the most part...was the same.

WELCOME BACK CADETS! You don't have to win the championship to be who you are!

P.S. I love Crown, but let's not forget the original.

Where are the professional writers?

In 2008 the corps hired a professional writer. George fired him when he had creative differences with the story George wanted to write. We all know how that turned out.

The acting coaches? An actual theater director?

The Cadets had a member of the Blue Man group come in and consult Jeffery this year.

Sheesh. Reading this thread is giving me bad case of indigestion.

If I close my eyes and think of the Cadets over the decades I think of a corps that has supreme class. Lush sound and discipline in all captions. Their drill has always been some of the best written. After watching 1987, who in the world didn't want to be a Cadet?

Mr. Hopkins pushed some pretty radical stuff in the mid 2000's and I thought it was a departure from what makes the Cadets great (and most of you did too). Then the 2009 show rolls out and I wanted to shout for joy. It was mostly everything the critics had called for. It was straight up drum and bugle corps.

This year...for the most part...was the same.

WELCOME BACK CADETS! You don't have to win the championship to be who you are!

P.S. I love Crown, but let's not forget the original.

THANK YOU!! At least there is one shining beam of intelligence in this unintelligible drabble.

The two years (ones that I personally marched) it has not been about who is winning or who is loosing. One year was about introducing a new concept and expanding on 2007 but it fell apart in the end, not because of the electronics, not because of the voice OR the actors that were used. It didn't work because we touched to close to home for a lot of people and some felt that THAT was not what drum corps should be about.

In this alumni's opinion, I wish we would of stuck with cancer, I think it would of worked.

2009 was a hard show, and NO ONE can deny that! I watch my DVD and I can beam with pride because since it, there has been no show that can compare to it in technicality and difficulty. There was no storyline just tasty slow roll, amazing toe height, awesome music and pushing the limits of EVERY MEMBER on that field.

Who cares if we didn't win, I know that I won the night of the performance at Giants Stadium when we took that home field and that crowd went CRAZY or in Allentown when the SAME THING happened or in Indianapolis when...yet again...the SAME THING happened. THATS what drum corps SHOULD be about. Besides, four standing ovations in one show....watch the DVD and try not to yell something.

Disclaimer! I have no qualms with ANY other drum corps. You do what you do and maybe you are good at it....maybe you aren't but lets face it people....you can imitate but you can never be the original.

CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR HOLY NAME!!! BRING IT!!!!

So to the original poster I just have one thing to say.....What the heck are you talking about?

Edited by HolyMello12