Pioneer

Actually, the "glory years" for Pioneer didn't start until 1990. Prior to that, they were small and got beat quite a bit. Loved the uniforms, though!

The heyday for Pioneer lasted up until 1998; but programming issues caused thier membership and talent numbers to dwindle, thus resulting in a slide down the rankings.

I am sure he planned to have the AC go out just to see how hot it would get on the bus @@@@ happens and you do the best you can at the time I remeber a sheet of paper come out of the DCM office called winners vs Losers wish I could find it, that summed up there is always a silver lining in any problem more or less just have to look for it

there's a lot more...i just decided not to air a whole lot of dirty laundry

As long as there is a church every Sunday requirement...Pioneer will not get a full 150 membership.

as I understand, it is not mandated members go

Craig. With all due respect, America's fortunes are not tied to Pioneer's drum corps. Don't conflate please.

Pioneer is a drum corps. One that appeals to around 100 young people. Do they make a difference. Yep. Does Crown? Cavies? Blue Devils? Yep. There have been members of Pioneer who are solid members of society. There are also former members of Pioneer who may have felony records. Same could be said of any corps.

So before we launch Pioneer up as the cure for America's ills, let's just agree to this. Pioneer is a drum corps from Milwaukee who at one point was a World Class (then Div. 1) semifinalist and have since not been competitive at that level.

The purpose of this topic is to analyze why...yes, to "Monday morning quarterback" some reasons why Pioneer is not more competitive.

The current consensus is, the current model is not going to be competitive and that doesn't really matter.

What you seem to be trying to set up is that all other World Class corps are evil somehow because they do something to make their corps more competitive. I don't see it.

I will say this...the competition is a lot deeper than when Pio was in semis.

...whatever, Mike...bottom line, they lose a rehearsal block *every* Sunday. Home-made handicap, if you ask me. Those hours add up...

cg

and some corps only go a few hours a day during the week then give the kids time off to chill or do laundry. your point?

To my knowledge drum corps is neither anti or pro any religion.

Evidently, at least since Pioneer was formed, there have not been 150 God fearing musicians joining Pioneer.

And if throwing babies is a defining point, then yes, DCI is Sodom and Gomorrah.

And finally, thank you for playing.

you're way too hung up on the God stuff. There are many reasons why Pio isn't marching a full 150, and I'm sure religion is last on the list

you're way too hung up on the God stuff. There are many reasons why Pio isn't marching a full 150, and I'm sure religion is last on the list

I'm not sure about last on the list, but I'm inclined to agree. There are other reasons Pio can't crawl out of the basement, programming being the most obvious culprit.

I don't understand people you wanted pioneer to be better this year we were, you wanted more membership we did, you didn't want irish music you got it, so I don't understand why people still complaining, oh we finish last oh well that doesn't mean pioneer is going to fold there's a next year who knows pioneer may give the big babies a "BIG" surprise in 2011, everybody predicted cavaliers out of the top 5 this season but look what happend they finish in second place so just wait.

and some corps only go a few hours a day during the week then give the kids time off to chill or do laundry. your point?

Dunno how many tours your've been on, Jeff...but personally I like to eke every minute of rehearsal there is to get out on the road, time is time and once it's gone, it's gone. That's my point, kind of hard to miss in a one-sentence post. You're right, though, different corps do different things (BTW, it's pretty universal to do laundry and take some time off during a tour of any length...the groups I've taken on tour as "tour director" have all had time off, better known as "free days".) One of the things I like about how Roman runs his group is that they take time to see the sights and do "other" things...the church thing is fine...however, competitively, it's just *another* time loss in addition to "other" things. If you're gettin' your butt kicked, though, sometimes it helps to bear down.

cg

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ATTEND CHURCH and you don't have to wash the busses with a toothbrush either. My son is getting alot of laughs tonight. Actually, there were probablly more Sunday's this summer that the corps didn't attend Church. Me personally, I have never attended Church. I believe what I believe, but having my son attend and taking a few precious hours a week out to sit together with his friends, sunburn and all made for a nice morning. Rumor has it that the corps even gets pancakes on Sunday morning....!

I was actually saying that to someone else...but thanks for backing me up.