DCP DCI Round Table Discussion

First, I'll start by saying I heavily disagree with some of material posted thus far. Drum corps is an amateur non-profit youth activity.

Non profit means there are general guidelenes for book keeping and such, however, IMHO there are far too many people making a large % of their income from drum corps. If viewed from the point of how many adults earn a living from drum corps either directly from salery or perks that are considered "in the course of doing business", it's far from non - profit to those people :tongue: .

Edited by The Other Mike

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non profit means there are general guidelenes for book keeping and such, however, IMHO there are far too many people making a large % of their income from drum corps. If viewed from the point of how many adults earn a living from drum corps either directly from salery or perks that are considered "in the course of doing business", it's far from non - profit to those people :tongue: .

As someone from the non-profit world (not DCI-related) once said to me, "'non-profit' is a term of art in the tax code, not an operating philosophy."

The music being played?

Well, me not being a Music Major just a Drum Corps fan alot of it seems to just meld right together. I do think that the kids do a wonderful job playing what they are givin thats for sure. The shows kinda copy each other, diversity would go a long way, and music people know wouldnt hurt either. Some Corps are moving in a diffrent direction which I think is great. New blood in the in charge positions will change the way music is portrayed on the field, but as I always say every year all the shows musically were GREAT.

The visual on the field?

Drillwise, love it. All the stuff on the field, its ok. Sure has become a haves and have nots though. If Drum Corps are crying they dont have enough money mabye they need to look at what they are putting on the field? I do have to say that it is getting a little busy out on the field with all the stuff, when in reality its not needed. Most paying people could care less about the props. Its been going on for a long time so I am kinda used to seeing all the stuff. I personally would like to see more drill and less stuff.

Non-profit means there are general guidelines for bookkeeping and such; however, IMHO there are far too many people making a large % of their income from drum corps. If viewed from the point of how many adults earn a living from drum corps either directly from salary or perks that are considered "in the course of doing business", it's far from non-profit to those people :guinesssmilie: .

I think it would depend on the percentage of their time is going towards drum corps. There's no reason people shouldn't be able to make a living in the not-for-profit world. Do you think the people who staff museums, operas, dance companies, theaters, and orchestras shouldn't be able to live on their wages?

• 2 weeks later...

How do we grow the activity?

This is a hard question to answer. But really is it? Ask your fans what they want and then do it. Pretty simple if you ask me. The problem is, thats not what happens. You ask we tell you and then you dont listen. Could be a good place to start if we want to grow this activity. It really could be that simple.

What is the purpose of Drum Corps?

To help kids grow up, and to entertain the paying public. Gotta get it back to being a must see product, more fans at shows means more revenue for the Corps. Drums on Parade was a sellout in Madison in 2010. We need every show to be a sellout every year. That should be a goal for 2011.

• 3 weeks later...
, it's funny to see the delusions of grandeur that so many have on here about how 12 Madison Scouts 2010 or Cadets 2000 shows in a row would magically draw huge crowds. Same with Madison 95 or even Phantom 2008...

" delusions " all right. I'll buy a steak dinner for any poster that can find a single comment from a single poster on DCP that declared they wanted all the 12 Finalists Corps in a row to look and sound like the 2010 Madison Scouts, or the 2000 Cadets, and as a result are not for some diversity in the shows among the top 12. The fact is, there has NEVER been a period in the history of DCI that all the Corps in the top 12 were alike in their style, theme, approch, etc.... nor have Drum Corps fans in any era wanted all the Corps to look and sound alike. Nor have they believed that if all the Corps were the same, more fans would be drawn to the activity as a result. The reality is, it's NEVER been the case.

So.... frankly,anyone that thinks otherwise is involved in " delusional " thinking, imo , and it's not even filled with " grandeur ".

Edited by BRASSO

" delusions " all right. I'll buy a steak dinner for any poster that can find a single comment from a single poster on DCP that declared they wanted all the 12 Finalists Corps in a row to look and sound like the 2010 Madison Scouts, or the 2000 Cadets, and as a result are not for some diversity in the shows among the top 12. The fact is, there has NEVER been a period in the history of DCI that all the Corps in the top 12 were alike in their style, theme, approch, etc.... nor have Drum Corps fans in any era wanted all the Corps to look and sound alike. Nor have they believed that if all the Corps were the same, more fans would be drawn to the activity as a result. The reality is, it's NEVER been the case.

So.... frankly,anyone that thinks otherwise is involved in " delusional " thinking, imo , and it's not even filled with " grandeur ".

I want all 12 finalist corps in a row to look and sound like the 2010 Madison Scouts, or the 2000 Cadets, and I'm not for some diversity in the shows among the top 12.

When do we eat? :tongue: