What direction will BD take in 2011?

I mentioned on some other thread that I was skeptical going into my first (and only) viewing of the Devils this year....because I tend not to enjoy "I need to think too much to 'get' this" shows, from any corps.

But BD absolutely floored me this year. The mirrors thing was pure genius, IMO. Exceptional design, staging, and performance.

I believe, just like Star 93, DC fans will re-visit BD 2010 for years and find new things every time. Each time they will come closer and closer to what the designers saw. At some point IMO, a light will come on and they'll say, Holy ####..why didn't I see that (too busy following the herd)!

My guess is that the judges would find new things even on finals night that they had missed earlier. Among the other things I noticed first on finals night was the mellophone soloist in the backfield intitially playing with his back to a mirror than the mirror is gone and an identical MM is his new reflection. My guess is that the front field mello is playing normal and the backfield reflection MM is playing dissonent. Also, the front field trumpet SOP standing centerfield with a guard member laying down like a shadow connected by the feet. Lots of little things, amazing production....WAYYYY ahead of it's time! Thank God the judges knew early on what they were doing. This will be a legendary production...mark my words!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You call that a challenge!? A real challenge is a 3 to 5 at 220bpm... which I think 4 hour morning vis block would suffice for BD. :lookaround:

This man needs to be President! He's two mints in one!!

Thanks, but I could never be elected. If asked what I thought on an issue, I'd say what I thought. No one gets elected that way.

I am hoping they stay the course.

I love their last 3 shows. To me, that actually IS engaging. I understand some people want to just relax and watch a simplistic 80s style thing, but

other people prefer to be challenged and see things expand rather than contract or stay the same.

Besides, the activity needs variety, and NOBODY is doing this.

I truly hope that DCI's world class from top to bottom is as great as it is this year!

When i saw the first couple of corps at Allentown, my guests (non drum corps/band/guard/drumline people) were like "WOW!... this is the lower ranking stuff? Cant wait to see the top"!

They were thoroughly impressed throughout. Mainly Cavalier fans.

Anyway, Go BD! Keep it comin!

...But BD absolutely floored me this year. The mirrors thing was pure genius, IMO. Exceptional design, staging, and performance.

That's it! Fran, you've hit on what the corps should use as a visual thread next year. After chairs and mirrors comes flooring!

The movements would be: "Wood," "Laminate," "Stone," "Tile," "Vinyl," "Cork" and "Bamboo." Now to figure out music for each type of flooring. (They could go with "Norwegian Wood" and "In the Stone," but I haven't figured out what they could do for the rest of the show. Any ideas?)

I am hoping they stay the course.

I love their last 3 shows. To me, that actually IS engaging. I understand some people want to just relax and watch a simplistic 80s style thing, but

other people prefer to be challenged and see things expand rather than contract or stay the same.

Besides, the activity needs variety, and NOBODY is doing this.

I truly hope that DCI's world class from top to bottom is as great as it is this year!

When i saw the first couple of corps at Allentown, my guests (non drum corps/band/guard/drumline people) were like "WOW!... this is the lower ranking stuff? Cant wait to see the top"!

They were thoroughly impressed throughout. Mainly Cavalier fans.

Anyway, Go BD! Keep it comin!

POST MORE!

I love their last 3 shows. To me, that actually is engaging. I understand some people want to just relax and watch a simplistic 80s style thing, but other people prefer to be challenged and see things expand rather than contract or stay the same.

Just a figure of speech, I'm sure. But remember: in the 80s, some people were complaining about the new modernistic shows while others were glad that drum corps had changed since the 60s. And 20 years from now, someone may be referring to this year's BD show as a "simplistic 10s style thing".

That's it! Fran, you've hit on what the corps should use as a visual thread next year. After chairs and mirrors comes flooring!

The movements would be: "Wood," "Laminate," "Stone," "Tile," "Vinyl," "Cork" and "Bamboo." Now to figure out music for each type of flooring. (They could go with "Norwegian Wood" and "In the Stone," but I haven't figured out what they could do for the rest of the show. Any ideas?)

This is a winner in the making.

Folks, sit back and enjoy while we assemble the 2011 DCI Champion Blue Devils' show! :lookaround:

Or not. :tongue:

I mentioned on some other thread that I was skeptical going into my first (and only) viewing of the Devils this year....because I tend not to enjoy "I need to think too much to 'get' this" shows, from any corps.

But BD absolutely floored me this year. The mirrors thing was pure genius, IMO. Exceptional design, staging, and performance.

Fran !! I knew you would feel this way !!

G