What direction will BD take in 2011?

depends on your POV. if you usually go ga-ga for everything BD loves, you will love it. If you're never a fan of BD you'll hate it.

and for the many in between, I guess we'll just have to wait and see

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is, will their staff give us another "progressive" show that's capable of winning or give us a show that's also capable of winning but keeps more than just a few hundred friends and family for encore?

How many people did see the encore? It didn't look like there were a great amount of people there. I know that I left, but did most everybody leave?

It is too bad that there wasn't a huge crowd as the show was great. I do understand why most people did not appreciate the show as it took several (8) viewings before I began to understand and appreciate it. I think that this is the point that the poster is trying to make.

Is there a way that they could produce a show that is not only progressive, but "really" engages the fans? I think there is, but drum corps is no longer fan oriented; it is judge oriented.

I think a truly progressive show should try to not only please the judges, but please the audience. DCI needs to address this if they truly want to build their fan base.

Impressing the crowd does not always mean that they are truly entertained.

That's it! Fran, you've hit on what the corps should use as a visual thread next year. After chairs and mirrors comes flooring!

The movements would be: "Wood," "Laminate," "Stone," "Tile," "Vinyl," "Cork" and "Bamboo." Now to figure out music for each type of flooring. (They could go with "Norwegian Wood" and "In the Stone," but I haven't figured out what they could do for the rest of the show. Any ideas?)

Actually Mike, being so close to the corps I have inside information (not quite ready for release, please)....the BD 2011 production "Wormhole" will require the audience to take the field and the corps will be playing throughout the stands in different locations (including your spot in the crow's nest). I can't give too much away but it does involve some modest time travel and a sweet solo on the vocorder by Steven Hawking. Song selections include "Somewhere amid the Rainbow"; "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" and of course "Both Sides Now". :lookaround:

Edited by Plan9

They've done chairs, they've done mirrors, what's next?

Benches?

Pogo sticks?

Ice skates?

Trap doors?

Springboards?

Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll serve them well!

Actually Mike, being so close to the corps I have inside information (not quite ready for release, please)....the BD 2011 production "Wormhole" will require the audience to take the field and the corps will be playing throughout the stands in different locations (including your spot in the crow's nest). I can't give too much away but it does involve some modest time travel and a sweet solo on the vocorder by Steven Hawking. Song selections include "Somewhere amid the Rainbow"; "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" and of course "Both Sides Now". :lookaround:

From what I've heard, BD's 2011 show, "The Voyage Home" has already departed Mars, slingshotted around the sun, went back in time, and won DCI in 1983. Gibbs plans on doing this for every year that did not take the title.

From what I've heard, BD's 2011 show, "The Voyage Home" has already departed Mars, slingshotted around the sun, went back in time, and won DCI in 1983. Gibbs plans on doing this for every year that did not take the title.

Don't forget to save the whales on the way back, Gibbs! :lookaround:

Don't forget to save the whales on the way back, Gibbs! :lookaround:

Oddly enough, they've found a way to alter their trademark space chords to sound like the mating calls of humpbacks. Now if only they can find a way to reinforce their food truck to transport them back to 2011....

Why are those that just didn't like the 2010 BD show either called haters or told they just don't get it? I don't hate BD but really disliked their show this year. There have been some credible reasons given why many did not like this show. I will say they did create some cool effects with the mirrors, just not enough to make the show enjoyable for me.

Oddly enough, they've found a way to alter their trademark space chords to sound like the mating calls of humpbacks. Now if only they can find a way to reinforce their food truck to transport them back to 2011....

Wait . . .so when they get back home, does this mean that Dan Acheson is Sybok?

Okay, I'll stop. We may reach nerd overload here soon. :lookaround: