What direction will BD take in 2011?

"Vast majority" and "BD isnt all that legendary" ...pretty much sealed your fate, credibility - wise.

G

Okay, whatever dude. Like I really worry about my credibility with you. You've made far too many comments that kill your credibility over this last year. Yeah, BD is a dynasty. They have more wins that any one else. But from what I've seen on here over the past few years, and what I've experienced marching, not everyone is as head-over-heels for the Blue Devils as you are. They're a great corps, I'll give them that, but they're not this crazy, god-like machine of innovation like you seem to think they are. They're 150 kids, with the most consistent staff in DCI, and they put out a product every year like everyone else.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and your argument is all you have. You have nothing new. It's always the same thing, "people only hate it because it's winning, it's all regional, you just don't understand the show." If you had some kind of different argument, or some form of logic, I might be more inclined to believe you. And with the Top 5 poll, it was voted on, so sorry, but obviously the vast majority of people seem to agree that BD isn't all that legendary. Too bad for you. And about the regional thing, Finals in 1993 was in Jackson, Mississippi. That's pretty far away from the MidWest, or anywhere actually. People loved them, just how it went down.

It's not important nor do I care if you believe me, BD's winning, they don't have to prove a thing. You're the one with the unmeasurable stuff...making claims, dragging up useless polls and other vague argument props. It's fog!

And while you're at it, you may want to go to one of the Star theads and ask one of the Star MM's about the "love" thing. You just don't get it.

Edited by Plan9

It's not important nor do I care if you believe me, BD's winning, they don't have to prove a thing. You're the one with the unmeasurable stuff...making claims, dragging up useless polls and other vague argument props. It's fog!

Maybe it's Smoke....

But I have plenty of measurable stuff. My own personal experiences, the reactions I've seen over the last few years to their shows and their winning. If they really have nothing to prove, why would they need or want people like you rushing to their aid all the time. Let the performances speak for themselves, and leave it to the kids.

Just ignore him....hes looking for an argument and I almost gave him one......

G

Wait, so people on these boards post things looking for an argument....? What a novel concept, but no, I'm not looking for an argument. As usual, I try and get people to discuss stuff, but either get ignored or branded something I'm not.

And no, ingenious, BD didn't cut me. I have never, and will never have any desire to march with that organization. I'm more than happy marching where I have, I quite enjoy my family, and don't need a ring to tell me I had a good summer.

Condescending is in the eye of the condescended. I certainly don't want to be perceived as such, it's just the nature of argument. A person arguing for a winning team gets put in that position no matter what they say. Let me turn it around and ask you. What if I was to say, "Why did Mason and Co put such a maudlin, crowd pandering, re-tread of a show on the field this year, knowing that most people would see through it right away?" I could have said, "Mason and Co. chose a traditional design with some obviously sure-fire crowd response moments built in, in my view this is step one in re-connecting to the crowd and building a basement of confidence that something more was coming in the future". It's about approach.

You felt comfortable, almost like you were saying, "hell, everybody knows what I'm about to say is fact....."

the truth is that many on DCP feel very comfortable being condescending to BD... regularly...judging them in detail and at length, thread after thread...it's almost reached montra status. No other corps gets this tongue lashing, with such regularity and vitreol.

The "getting it done" comment comes from the knowledge that if BD lost over the last few years, there would be a great deal less attacks on them. But because they win, there is a population on DCP left to rationalize it away, and they do that by attacking them.

It's just the tone of your posts. Not saying you are intentionally being condescending, it's just the way it comes across to me. I don't pretend to ever speak for anyone but myself, let alone the majority of people. I do my best to pepper my posts with as many "IMO's" as I can, as people tend to read into a lot on here. Sometimes, maybe I don't put in enough. Regardless, I don't fault you for defending your corps and will chalk the tone up to being "lost in translation" over the internet.

For the record, just so we're clear. Any criticism I've ever thrown BD's way has been towards their show. Never the members or the quality of corps they field. I am well aware of the level of excellence the Blue Devils put out year after year, and from a consistency standpoint, it is unmatched this decade.

That said, your bolded statement is a tad off. BD no doubt has received the most "hate" this year, but they are no where close to being DCP's top pariah over the last few years. And don't think that it's only because they're winning. Drum corps fans are an outspoken bunch. If they don't like a show, you will know, regardless of placement. Ask the 5th place 2006 Cadets. Or the 2nd place 2007 Cadets. Or the 5th place 2008 Cadets.

Edited by chaddyt

t

You don't see it as an issue that the majority of the fans just didn't get it? I think you are being very short-sighted. In order to grow the activity we need to get the "fans" (not just BD fans) excited about drum corps. I loved the show (BD), but I am in the minority. I was in the crowd in Indy and I saw the crowd. If you didn't notice it, you were not looking. It really bothered me when I saw a BD staffer trying to get the crowd on their feet. Should they of had to encourage them to react?

Engaging the crowd (Madison) is what will grow the activity. Isn't it possible that the people you call "haters" actually love the activity. I brought non-drum corps people to a show this summer and they commented that BD just lost them. BD did not engage the crowd. If drum corps does not make a concerted effort to engage the crowd, we will become an even smaller niche activity. Is this what we want?

You can call me a BD "hater", but it wouldn't be true. But what I am even more is a lover of drum corps.

to some it's all about being avant garde and the "art" as opposed to business savvy....and there were many great artists that died broke.

Wait, so people on these boards post things looking for an argument....? What a novel concept, but no, I'm not looking for an argument. As usual, I try and get people to discuss stuff, but either get ignored or branded something I'm not.

And no, ingenious, BD didn't cut me. I have never, and will never have any desire to march with that organization. I'm more than happy marching where I have, I quite enjoy my family, and don't need a ring to tell me I had a good summer.

What is your beef with the organization?

The ring is just icing on the cake... I had a great time the years I didn't ring-up or even medal for that matter. And I'm pretty sure it's that way with all corps.

Maybe it's Smoke....

But I have plenty of measurable stuff. My own personal experiences, the reactions I've seen over the last few years to their shows and their winning. If they really have nothing to prove, why would they need or want people like you rushing to their aid all the time. Let the performances speak for themselves, and leave it to the kids.

Do you REALLY think they need me to rush to their aid!! You must be delusional! Aid to assist them in what? Convencing you? Please. The FACT is they (and by they, I mean he) specifically (and I mean I heard it with my own ears) advised the MM's the day after finals to pay no attention to this crap on "the internet". They have a huge national and international fan base, a cutting edge media site and website, thousands of students they teach annually across the country, the winningest record, most captions won, and are on a undefeated tear...just what do you think I need to defend! :tongue:

And they do let the performance speak for themselves! It's pretty #### obvious. That's why if you have complaints about them...seek out a MM or staff, walk up to em', say what you have to say and quit hiding behind an avitar.