A rant on the folks who think anyone who likes it is a

All you nutbag fundamentalist radical BD supporters need to recognize that your interpretation of drum corps is over the top. :tongue:

Oh and BTW, I think it's elietist for DCP to give BD their own emoticon and not the rest of the corps!!!!!

Edited by BozzlyB

I don't think UTtrumpetdude is talking about reactions to the unfortunate handful of people who say anything remotely comparable to "your kid's ugly and stupid" and I doubt you would run into too much disagreement if you handed it back to them (which won't likely make them any nicer though) or make a clever joke at their expense (which they probably won't get anyway but the rest of us might enjoy) or simply ignore them (which might honestly be the best way of dealing with them.)

Rather, I think he is talking about reactions to those people who merely say they don't enjoy the program design this year and are nevertheless immediately treated as IF they said "your kid's ugly and stupid" by supposed "protectors" who seem to want to attach the worst possible motives to such people. For example, for a DCI fan merely to express concerns about the potential enjoyability of a direction that may be taken by the leading (and therefore most likely to be emulated) corps is not an attack but a valid point of discussion in a forum ideal for sharing such a concern.

The fact that there are bashers out there is not a sufficient reason to mistreat anyone whose subjective artisitic opinion is different from yours. That's all I'm saying. If you don't happen to be doing that, then you are not one of those people whose behavior is being addressed by my expressed concerns. And if you aren't USUALLY doing that but let your defensiveness get the best of you on occasion, then I don't think you intentions are bad, but would beg of you not to be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Well, I agree with that...saying you didn't like the program is no reason to attack anyone. But it's the nasty, offensive language used to somehow level the field that I react to. When we get into a lather, sometimes we overcorrect and miss the field. Most (and I really believe this) of the BD faithful are good folks with the best intentions. Yes, occasionally they crow a little too loud and #### people off, but this summer they mostly ended up just having to police the nasty comments. Look at some of the threads, it's laughable: Title - Is BD's show to new way ahead?...Subtitle - I really thought their show was a steaming pile, what do you think?

That's the nature of the conversation.

All you nutbag fundamentalist radical BD supporters need to recognize that your interpretation of drum corps is over the top. :tongue:

Oh and BTW, I think it's elietist for DCP to give BD their own emoticon and not the rest of the corps!!!!!

Commie!!! :tongue:

total rehash implies entire show made up of previously done tunes by said corps. as such, 83 and 87 do not qualify

So, I made some comments about how awesome BD's final victory gig was, and lo and behold I'm now a "BD Worshipper".

Well, no.

There have been PLENTY of BD programs I've not been happy with. Sorry to say, 07-10 have NOT been among them.

Some stuff that I disliked...

BD 83...a total rehash and not very inspired, despite an incredible drumline.

BD 87...a total rehash and not very inspired, despite an incredible drumline.

BD 89...another rehash and the drumline didn't save the day that time (despite an incredible ballad which I consider a definite "moment" in DCI history (yes, the solo was fracked, get over it!).

BD 91...a great concept but the performance level was extremely sub-par.

BD 93...just didn't sell it, pretty cool concept but they almost ended up 5th again.

BD 95...too much of a rehash, also the hornline had trouble playing in tune.

BD 97...I guess I'm on the outs with most, this show never impressed me much at all (great performance by the kids...just didn't like the overall concept).

BD 98...crappy show concept, never worked for me.

BD 2002...butchering Channel One was not cool.

BD 2005...Yowza...yuck.

BD 2006...never bought into the Godfather thing, also wasn't impressed with the drumline.

Okay, so a lot of these are drum-centric (I'm a drummer), but in any case there have been PLENTY of BD programs that I was disappointed by (and, naturally, plenty of programs I liked/loved).

I'm sure other "BD worshippers" might feel the same way (perhaps about entirely different years! who knows!?), but let's drop this whole "well, if you liked it it's ONLY BECAUSE YOU LOVE BD AND WILL NEVER SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THEM!".

NOT true. That's not true.

total rehash implies entire show made up of previously done tunes by said corps. as such, 83 and 87 do not qualify

Gotta disagree re 83, Jeff...the repeated the opener, the drum solo, and the concert (plus the end tag)..only 2 of the 5 charts were new.

Compare that to 84 where the only repeat was the end tag (and even that wasn't in until 2nd tour)

Repeating 3/5 of a show from a previous year is definitely a rehash.

And 87 a rehash??? One chart doesn't equate to a rehash...no way no how...and even THEN that one chart wasn't repeated in full...the 1st half of "Spanish Dreams" was NOT from the 86 program...that repeat started with the sop duet/quartet.

Gotta disagree re 83, Jeff...the repeated the opener, the drum solo, and the concert (plus the end tag)..only 2 of the 5 charts were new.

Compare that to 84 where the only repeat was the end tag (and even that wasn't in until 2nd tour)

Repeating 3/5 of a show from a previous year is definitely a rehash.

And 87 a rehash??? One chart doesn't equate to a rehash...no way no how...and even THEN that one chart wasn't repeated in full...the 1st half of "Spanish Dreams" was NOT from the 86 program...that repeat started with the sop duet/quartet.

2 new charts is not a total rehash. note the words he used and how i applied them.

2 new charts is not a total rehash. note the words he used and how i applied them.

Has ANY corps repeated the exact same charts from a previous year? The shows I can think of that repeated the theme off the top of my head are Regiment (Spartacus)81-82, Sky Ryders (Wizard of Oz) 85-86, SCV (PotO) 88-89, and (because I was part of it), SoCal Dream (Kill Bill) 05-06...but I don't think ANY of them repeated ALL of the charts from the first year, and those they did tended to have some notable changes.

T.O. and OMT,CC from 83 BD, however, didn't have any really significant changes from 82 to 83.

Hahaha good point. God I love the Blue Devils!