Bluecoats... WTF? =)

So it's been a couple weeks, and I went ahead and bought me some quarters APD's, and the show I can't stop playing is the kids from Canton. #### SON! Where the heck did this group come from, and please, for the love of God, give me some more of that next year.

I know there have been a few comments about them using electronics, but honestly. everything they did complemented the music. What a fabulous job. If the corps can retain a lot of this talent, BD may have some serious competition next season.

Does anyone know if the corps did a standstill recording of the show this season?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's been a couple weeks, and I went ahead and bought me some quarters APD's, and the show I can't stop playing is the kids from Canton. #### SON! Where the heck did this group come from, and please, for the love of God, give me some more of that next year.

I know there have been a few comments about them using electronics, but honestly. everything they did complemented the music. What a fabulous job. If the corps can retain a lot of this talent, BD may have some serious competition next season.

Does anyone know if the corps did a standstill recording of the show this season?

I LOVED this show. And though I am normally not a big fan of electronics, I thought they integrated it beautifully into the music in a way that complemented the natural sound of the corps.

There are videos recordings out there of the standstill after the Massillon show that were taken by someone in the stands. Is that good enough for you?

If the corps can retain a lot of this talent, BD may have some serious competition next season.

Don't give it to BD before audition camps have even started yet. At this point, in all reality, there are at least 9 corps that could threaten BD, and I don't just mean for the Gold. With the talent in Madison, BAC and Blue Stars this year, if they get the right vehicle, the right kids with the right amount of talent, I don't think that it's too far out there to think one of those three, most likely Madison, could actually medal. And, if that happens and two other corps place above BD for the Gold and Silver, then BD could place out of the top three for the first time since 2005, I think.

I know it's a little off topic, but at this point, with camps months away, it's ridiculous to insinuate that Blue Devils already have the Gold. No one is guaranteed to win, regardless of past performance. Besides, if we can say, weeks after the 2010 season ends, that we know who will win in 2011, then what's the point of even having the 2011 season? Please give the kids a chance to actually compete before you automatically consider that Blue Devils will win the Gold.

Corps that, I feel, have a chance of Medalling in 2011:

Carolina Crown

Bluecoats

Blue Devils

Santa Clara Vanguard

The Cavaliers

The Cadets

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

Boston Crusaders

Blue Stars

Now, if you're just saying that Blue Devils will be the one to beat, then I sincerely apologize for my rant. That just occurred to me as I was writing out the list just now. When I read the quoted line, it just came across to me that you meant it as "Blue Devils are going to win in 2011, but Bluecoats could give them some competition if they keep this level of talent." So, again, if you were just saying they will be the one to beat, then I apologize. That statement, I would completely agree with. Blue Devils are the corps to beat next year as they are the defending champions of the past two years. Especially considering that they've not medaled only five times since they got into the top three.

Now, more on topic:

Bluecoats were on FIRE this year! I've loved this corps since 2007 so it's really great to see them rising up and medaling for the first time in their history. They may not be one of my top five corps yet, but they are certainly close to making it into my top 5. In fact, I think they're just right behind Blue Devils in sixth, so they'd be a VERY close seventh.

I think that electronics are fine as long as they're used tastefully. Bluecoats used their electronics very tastefully this year, in my opinion.

People always said how Blue Devils felt like they were on a whole other level from everyone else ... but I don't think I ever heard anyone say that about Bluecoats. That's funny, though, because that's exactly how I felt every time I watched them. I felt like they were just something completely different from anything else out there. Sure, Crown was my favorite show of the year, by far, but Bluecoats were a very strong second.

Edited by CMFC4Ever

Don't give it to BD before audition camps have even started yet. At this point, in all reality, there are at least 9 corps that could threaten BD, and I don't just mean for the Gold. With the talent in Madison, BAC and Blue Stars this year, if they get the right vehicle, the right kids with the right amount of talent, 1 I don't think that it's too far out there to think one of those three, most likely Madison, could actually medal. And, if that happens and two other corps place above BD for the Gold and Silver, then BD could place out of the top three for the first time since 2005, I think.

People always said how Blue Devils felt like they were on a whole other level from everyone else ... but I don't think I ever heard anyone say that about Bluecoats. That's funny, though, because that's exactly how I felt every time I watched them. I felt like they were just something completely different from anything else out there. Sure, Crown was my favorite show of the year, by far, but Bluecoats were a very strong second.2

1: True for all corps, all time. So what? If Pioneer hit that jackpot, they'd be right there too, no? Are there any other factors to success that you may have left out?

2: Contradiction. You can't have a "by far" and a "very strong second" in the same context. Which is it?

Bloo certainly had a WTF season (in a good way, lol). Will they keep the pressure on (medal again), or will they stub their toe (like current Crown)? With Crown and Bloo in the mix, it's harder than ever to stay in the top 3. On the other hand, it's silly to look at the excellence of 2010 Crown and Cadets and claim they both "stubbed their toes," lol. All of this bodes well for drum corps fans! It's nice to see another corps (Bloo) join the fray.

Edited by Bruckner8

Don't give it to BD before audition camps have even started yet. At this point, in all reality, there are at least 9 corps that could threaten BD, and I don't just mean for the Gold. With the talent in Madison, BAC and Blue Stars this year, if they get the right vehicle, the right kids with the right amount of talent, I don't think that it's too far out there to think one of those three, most likely Madison, could actually medal. And, if that happens and two other corps place above BD for the Gold and Silver, then BD could place out of the top three for the first time since 2005, I think.

I know it's a little off topic, but at this point, with camps months away, it's ridiculous to insinuate that Blue Devils already have the Gold. No one is guaranteed to win, regardless of past performance. Besides, if we can say, weeks after the 2010 season ends, that we know who will win in 2011, then what's the point of even having the 2011 season? Please give the kids a chance to actually compete before you automatically consider that Blue Devils will win the Gold.

Corps that, I feel, have a chance of Medalling in 2011:

Carolina Crown

Bluecoats

Blue Devils

Santa Clara Vanguard

The Cavaliers

The Cadets

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

Boston Crusaders

Blue Stars

Now, if you're just saying that Blue Devils will be the one to beat, then I sincerely apologize for my rant. That just occurred to me as I was writing out the list just now. When I read the quoted line, it just came across to me that you meant it as "Blue Devils are going to win in 2011, but Bluecoats could give them some competition if they keep this level of talent." So, again, if you were just saying they will be the one to beat, then I apologize. That statement, I would completely agree with. Blue Devils are the corps to beat next year as they are the defending champions of the past two years. Especially considering that they've not medaled only five times since they got into the top three.

Now, more on topic:

Bluecoats were on FIRE this year! I've loved this corps since 2007 so it's really great to see them rising up and medaling for the first time in their history. They may not be one of my top five corps yet, but they are certainly close to making it into my top 5. In fact, I think they're just right behind Blue Devils in sixth, so they'd be a VERY close seventh.

I think that electronics are fine as long as they're used tastefully. Bluecoats used their electronics very tastefully this year, in my opinion.

People always said how Blue Devils felt like they were on a whole other level from everyone else ... but I don't think I ever heard anyone say that about Bluecoats. That's funny, though, because that's exactly how I felt every time I watched them. I felt like they were just something completely different from anything else out there. Sure, Crown was my favorite show of the year, by far, but Bluecoats were a very strong second.

Madison was amazing this season. There is no way they will be challenging the Blue Devils for a medal position next season. Nor a great many of the fantastic corps you listed. That being said, the products put on the field by many of those corps were fantastic productions executed to excellence.

But you're right; any corps with the right combination of talent and heart could win it all. That's why we see such a great variety of DCI Champions crowned season in and season out. In this activity, the parity is so great that resources, staff, retention, finances, etc. are totally removed from the equation. And I'm certainly glad competitive inertia plays no role in how corps are perceived at early season shows which determine the trends for the rest of the season. It's nice to be involved in an activity in which the judges come to the table with a clean slate each year and where anyone could win it all!

1: True for all corps, all time. So what? If Pioneer hit that jackpot, they'd be right there too, no? Are there any other factors to success that you may have left out?

2: Contradiction. You can't have a "by far" and a "very strong second" in the same context. Which is it?

Bloo certainly had a WTF season (in a good way, lol). Will they keep the pressure on (medal again), or will they stub their toe (like current Crown)? With Crown and Bloo in the mix, it's harder than ever to stay in the top 3. On the other hand, it's silly to look at the excellence of 2010 Crown and Cadets and claim they both "stubbed their toes," lol. All of this bodes well for drum corps fans! It's nice to see another corps (Bloo) join the fray.

Point 2) the poster was weaving together 2 thoughts. 1 was about performance level, the other was about show preference.

I don't think anyone is handing BD the gold, but the fact is, the have been the dominant corps since 2007. They have a phenomenal staff. They attract stellar talent. And their show designers have been nailing it (as far as the judges are concerned at least). As of now, there's really nothing to indicate that any of those things will change.

As such, BD is the corps to beat in 2011.