You know drum corps is dying when.............

You know drum corps is dying when……………

The crowd as a whole does not yell and scream anymore during the performance.

People start to compare drum corps sound to that of a concert band

The corps is concerned with conveying nuance rather than giving “that chill”

Can any one think of more?

:thumbup::hmmm::tongue::angel1::lol:

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On this I can accept and agree. But you have to admit that it's a stark contrast to the post where you told us "dinos" to go stick a pencil in our ears and leave DCI to the "enlightened ones" (my words, not yours).

Thanks for the calmer reflection. I just happen to think that drum corps' future lies in maintaining its uniqueness and not blending into summer marching band. But that's just my opinion.

Well I'm just saying that if you don't like it, don't listen to it. It's kinda like the old saying, you go into the doctor's office and you tell him it hurts when I move my arm like this, and the doctor says, "Well don't move your arm like that." It fixes the old problem. I know you guys want it back to the old days, but I don't see that happening anywhere in the near future. It probably will one day, but not anytime soon.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

Well I'm just saying that if you don't like it, don't listen to it. It's kinda like the old saying, you go into the doctor's office and you tell him it hurts when I move my arm like this, and the doctor says, "Well don't move your arm like that." It fixes the old problem. I know you guys want it back to the old days, but I don't see that happening anywhere in the near future. It probably will one day, but not anytime soon.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

I, personally, don't want it "the way it was". I just want it to maintain its uniqueness. And unique, to me, includes supporting all corps, not just this year's "elite".

(Belly laugh at the doctor description. It never gets old.)

I, personally, don't want it "the way it was". I just want it to maintain its uniqueness. And unique, to me, includes supporting all corps, not just this year's "elite".

(Belly laugh at the doctor description. It never gets old.)

Okay, well I can totally agree with you on that. As much as I love the top 12, there were some great stuff going on in 13-23. I'm really pulling for Academy to make it's way in the top 12 soon. Anyways, I'm sure we agree that the G7 junk will just destroy the activity.

Okay, well I can totally agree with you on that. As much as I love the top 12, there were some great stuff going on in 13-23. I'm really pulling for Academy to make it's way in the top 12 soon. Anyways, I'm sure we agree that the G7 junk will just destroy the activity.

Don't forget Open Class!

Also, G7 will destroy DCI, but not drum corps.

A great profit margin on a $10M figure for a group like DCI would be about $2.5M banked. If they are pulling less than that, they are probably spread too thin, and are in areas they don't need to be in.

DCI paid out $2.4mm to the corps (and increase of $90m over 2008) and held about $300m in reserve. Wouldn't you consider this to be a "great" profit margin?

Daniel, two points:

The first is a bit of crow to eat, but only a little. You chose to example the one corps whose director is part of a much larger organization. Page 10, line 7, column C of YEA!s 990 shows asks for "Other Salaries and Wages", and reflects $238,130. The Cadet's directors' salary of $105,000 is included in that. I know this because it's reflected in their annual report. The $100,000 reporting threshold reflects "Past" officers and directors who are being paid. Because, technically, Cadets' director's salary is not listed in the 990 I will concede the point. However, in the time that I ate dinner I also looked at Crown's, Phantom's, BAC's, Blue Stars, Pioneer,and 4 other 990s and each has the director's salary listed, along with a request to list the 5 next highest-paid employees paid over $50m.

So let's call both of us right. Fair?

sure.

Point two is that I've followed the links to your marketing "manifesto" and I wonder if you're one of those paid employees of YEA!. That "Drum Corps = Marching Band" is attributed to you is one thing, but the G7 presentation includes nearly all of your marketing points verbatim. Is this coincidence? I realize Hop and Steward laid out the "vision" years before, but it's a little creepy :thumbup: how much of your marketing ideas are included in this years' presentation.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this except to point out the correlation. I guess I'll leave it there for now.

I am not a paid employee of YEA!. I was for a short time at one point when I was a kid (this would have been about 15 years ago), until George canned my ###. :-)

The stuff you were referring to is stuff I wrote back in 2002/2003. I wrote loads and loads of other stuff not ever posted on this board or generally distributed, but shared with a few people here and there. It is possible that some of that could have been read by some of these guys and maybe inspired someone to consider exploring some different concepts. It could also be that they arrived at the same, pretty much obvious, conclusion on their own. Who knows?

Either way, ideas are cheap, so, I give mine freely (as that's pretty much what they're worth). Actions are the only thing of any real value.

If drum corps is

boring drill marched at 160, tops

nasty brass tones

2% creativity

the same charts played over and over and over and over again

tuning? psshhh...it's dRRRRRum Corps!

lot fights

poorly run tours the result in no housing and no food

Oh forget it. I could spend the time making a list of everything that is horrible about classic DC, but what's the point. I'm glad "drum corps" is dead. I'd much rather be entertained.

you realize the kids in the line aren't adding the synth, right? The staff is adding the synth. The kids are only doing what the staff tells them to do.

Adding synth to drum corps is far from revolutionary. Blue Devils were using them in exhibition performances more than 20 years ago, and prior to that they were a solid staple of marching band back in the 1980's.

Again, I'm puzzled why they are sort of defacto for every single corps out there now, every season... but it isn't at all puzzling that they are there.

You know drum corps is dead when they use valves, And if you really want to know what gets my blood boiling, its those contrabasses.