You know you're a "Fossil"...

The hosting DM and CGC returning salutes sitting at the 50 yard line.

Having a guest member of the military sitting right off the 50 to salute the Colors as needed. Remember this my first year and that was it.

OK, the guidon carries a guidon... *sheesh* Wait'll hornsup sees me this weekend... :rolleyes:

Okay - may be some reruns but....

Starting Line

Finish Line

Re-entry (1973 only??)

Snare slings (loved seeing the Cab's alumni still using them two weeks ago!)

Spinning cymbals (love those squeaky handles!)

Uniforms such that, when a corps walked on the field, you knew who they were!

Getting new uniforms, horns or drums happened about every 5 years (if you were lucky!)

Going to Nationals wasn't a 'tour', it was a trip - there and back. It was the one trip all year we had coaches instead of school buses!

Densi-Wood sticks (MAN, they were heavy! We cut an inch off the back end just to balance and lighten them a bit)

Shows with a 50 yard line....and that is it. Marched an exhibition at a band show in 1972 and the lines every 5 yards REALLY screwed us up!

Edited by ajedrummer

Knowing what 'timp-toms' were

Getting to a show and competing against a corps you had never heard of (because there were sooo many!)

tastefully taped drum sticks with stripes

Audiences clapping along because they knew the music

Like these!!! :rolleyes:

When our drum instructors wife had a baby boy in the mid-70's, we suggested the name 'Timothy Thomas' so they could call him Tim-Tom....they chose Brian...BORING!

And, to add on to your line - Being nervous when you hit the Nationals tour because you had NO idea how you would stack up against the corps from other parts of the country...because there were sooo many!

"From Trooper, Wyoming.....THE CASPERS!

Or the sound of Tony Schlecta announcing from Chicago, Illinois the ROYAL-AIRS..... Take it away!

When "out-of-concert" meant something different than a text message saying you've just left the local symphony concert. :rolleyes:

And, to add on to your line - Being nervous when you hit the Nationals tour because you had NO idea how you would stack up against the corps from other parts of the country...because there were sooo many!

Absolutely. Anytime my little local-circuit junor corps went to the World Open or U.S. Open, we would see corps that we had never heard of.... and sometimes would never see again!!!!

White bucks

Gut snares

Silk blouses with ascots

DC10's

Swallowtail flags

Grounding penalties

Prism tape

Butter sandwiches on wonder bread (not peanut butter, just butter!)

Sleeping in the overhead rack

Sleeping in the bus toilet

Sleeping standing up

Sleeping under the seats

I can still sleep anywhere, any time. In fact, just getting on a bus, any bus, makes me sleepy.

- good times :rolleyes:

I'm back after being gone for a while, and I think I just had a tear in my eye.

Having a guest member of the military sitting right off the 50 to salute the Colors as needed. Remember this my first year and that was it.

"Reviewing Officer" was the term I saw in the program (FINALLY remembered that :rolleyes: )

When Kilties, Troopers, Americanos and Pioneer DMs added claymores, sabres, Spanish swords and Irish swords to their side arms, and did a full salute when trooping the stands. :rolleyes:

We used to rehearse every Tuesday and Thursday plus Sundays during the winter.

My first Jr. corps rehearsal days and times: 7:00 pm on Wednesdays and 1:00 pm on Saturdays. That was over 39 years ago. Now, where are my glasses and what did I have for dinner last night? :rolleyes: