Shows that you find boring that lots of people rave about

Yes, they were... because SOMEONE finally broke the west coast's complete and utter dominance of the activity, and it wasn't just a one year fluke.

Not to take away anything from the corps (and the visual WAS groundbreaking... not sure how you could dispute that), but you could'a plugged in "your favorite non-west coast dc here" and a good portion of that glee would still have been present... regardless of show.

Not a whine... I personally enjoyed the east/midwest/west rivalry and pseudo animosity.

Gotta disagree. In person '84 Garfield was an overwhelming experience. '83 was unbelievable and I remember thinking there was no way they could top it. In '84 they did. Someone said the hornline was bad, but remember, the equipment they were playing on was archaic. I joined in '85 on baritone (chrome DEG thank you) and spent that entire season marching next to a chrome valve/rotor contra. They weren't the most in tune, nor their tone the most perfect, but they were balanced, tight as hell, and LOUD. Incredible corps. Seeing them many times that year, I can't tell you how many times myself and the rest of the audience thought the end of "America" was the end of the show. It was that impactive.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavies 06

Cavies 08

BD 92 (cept closer, of course)

BD 93

BD 03

BD 07 (after the first few minutes)

Scouts 96

SCV 04 (I wouldn't call it boring, but compared to the way other's drool over it, I'm relatively "meh" about it)

SCV 09 (pretty, but boring)

Cadets 83 (love Rocky Point, and the ballad before the RP reprise, but the stuff in the middle is blah to me)

and, to go along with that, Cadets 90 (except Candide, and maybe Somewhere)

When you look back at what '84 Garfield was doing with drill, it was absolutely a mold-breaker. But when you stack it up against shows from the following years they might not have seemed so earth shattering. To me it's like when people say that they don't understand what the big deal is about the Beatles. Well when you listen to the pop music that was out there when the Beatles started, they were truly ground breaking. When you fast forward 10 years, you can tell what an influence they had on the music scene. When you fast forward a few years from 1984 you can totally tell what Garfield did was similarly important to the visual aspect of drum corps. You might be bored by them in 2010, but look at the crowd reaction on the video from '84. People were throwing babies for a reason...they had never seen anything like that before. I imagine that there will be some that will want to stone me to death for making a Garfield to Beatles comparison, but I'm just using that as an expample. Sorry you were bored, but their influece was HUGE on the activity.

You don't need to be sorry. (And I never said they were boring.) Garfield had already made history, by doing what they did to great acclaim in 82, then winning with it in 83. 84 to me is NOT AN ATTRACTIVE DRILL, period, stop trying to change my mind, y'all, and, with the exception of the non-telegraphed front at the end, doesn't seem groundbreaking. Beatles/Garfield, whatever, the comparison isn't without merit, and in a way you're right (look at what the Billboard # 1 was the week before "I Want to Hold Your Hand"), but I think 84 is the ugly sister of 82, 83, and 85.

96 Madison... I'm sorry, but Bolero? really? the rest of the show was cool, but I just really didn't dig it. And what'd they have, 19 tenors? more of a distraction to me than effective.

I know this thread will bring out some love/hate discussions for popular shows... of all the Madison shows, that 96 production is one of my least favorites, though SO many people love it.

You might be bored by them in 2010, but look at the crowd reaction on the video from '84. People were throwing babies for a reason...they had never seen anything like that before.

I still find the 84 show thrilling, partially because I get caught up in the crowd reaction, which yeah, is incredible, and understandably so. With the Cadets lately I'm so distracted by other parts of their show that if they're doing anything great drillwise, I miss it. 2009 maybe was the exception to that, but they always manage to throw in something to turn me off to their programs so that I can't enjoy them overall. 83-94 Cadets, excluding 91, are about the only ones I can just sit back and enjoy 100%.

96 Madison... I'm sorry, but Bolero? really? the rest of the show was cool, but I just really didn't dig it. And what'd they have, 19 tenors? more of a distraction to me than effective.

I know this thread will bring out some love/hate discussions for popular shows... of all the Madison shows, that 96 production is one of my least favorites, though SO many people love it.

No arguments from me.

Madison 95 really? what's your justification on that? You hate pure awesomeness?

Lance is entitled to find things boring that most people like, or to like things most others don't like and might find boring, weird or what have you.... including his disliking of '95 Madison Scouts, Crown 2007, Phantom 2003 and so forth.There is even apparently a regular TV audience that watches with interest a bald headed fat guy that goes around the world once a week explaining how edible and delicious it can be eating that country's exotic bugs.... sometimes even when the crispy critters are still alive ( The Travel Station). We learn from this that some people like to watch a guy eat exotic and weird bugs once a week. So of course, some people's musical drum corps " tastes " can be quite different too, and to each his own too !

Edited by BRASSO