If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the acti

Woodwinds Poll  

399 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the activity (got to shows, donate on a financial level)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, depends on how the rule is written.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does any musical performing unit have a certain instrumentation? Should we have banjos in beginning band? Guitars in baroque ensembles?

I totally agree. :tongue:

Why does drum corps have to have strictly brass choirs?

Why does a fish fry have to strictly be about fish?

Why can't we have horses in the Indy 500?

Or race cars in the Kentucky Derby?

Drum corps has to have brass because that's what it's about.

Why does any musical performing unit have a certain instrumentation? Should we have banjos in beginning band? Guitars in baroque ensembles?

Why, bawker, that would mean words have meanings and requires thought and intelligence to figure that out!

Because people play woodwinds.

Unless you really believe that woodwind players are incapable of developing any other skills, I fail to see your point.

Woodwind players are not excluded from drum corps. I should know....when I was trying out for a DCI corps, the woodwind players on either side of me were developing their abilities on mellophone far faster than me, despite my decade of brass background. They ended up making the corps, and I ended up somewhere else on French horn. It took me another year to get the hang of mellophone with a DCA corps....and again, I was marching alongside woodwind players who had decided they wanted to play a horn with a drum corps.

Yeah and not to mention woodwind players have many marching band options. I always admired woodwind players who wanted to drum corps and learned to play a bugle because they thought it was cool.

What about us woodwind players who came to the dark side and played drums? :tongue:

Ask the bagpipe bands when they are planning to allow other instruments.

Suggest doing it by phone or from a moving car... :tongue:

Exactly, now you are seeing it my way

So your ultimate goal is to have everything look and sound the same? Sounds unique. :tongue: