11th place in exibition?

Well like most of the corps members out there, I was hoping that it wasn't going to be my corps that got the benifit of DCA's decision to let the 11th place corps perform to open up Finals night. But as it turns out it will be the Kilties and I just wanted to say thank-you to DCA for the opportunity to give the fans one more performance before we close the curtain on "A Night at the Opera" and bring our field show season to an end. Any time you get to enter the stadium in uniform is a good time, even if you don't get to see where you stack up against your peers by getting a number at the end of the night. I hope those in attendance tonight will enjoy our performance as much we will enjoy taking the field to perform for you. While I love to compete as much as the next person, in the end without the fans in the stands, our activity would be nothing more than playing our show for empty stadiums across the country.

We will be back again and as always... WWBD!

Ryan J

Thank you, Ryan. None of us could have expressed those thoughts better. I fully enjoyed both of our performance opportunities, and I hope the expanded audience of Finals enjoyed the show as much as we did peforming it. I was very happy that time-wise we could fit in Auld Lang Syne for the crowd. It was 5 years ago we lost "Lothar" at DCA, and it did not escape my notice that the sun came out while we played "Syne." WWBD.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the corps that didn't make finals should sit out just like the rest have had to do over the years. If they didn't have a product or perform well enough to deserve a Top 10 spot, then they sit.

Where is the backbone or integrity DCA? Just because Kidsgrove are over here and there is only 11 corps, doesn't mean the rules need to be changed because one corps will sit out. Are you too afraid that corps will complain too much? Flack from fans?

I might be late to the party, but in 1994 we didn't make finals and we were the exhibition corps the next day. And #### proud to be there.

Nothing wrong with that. You're almost sounding like the "11th place corps" should be punished or something.

Well like most of the corps members out there, I was hoping that it wasn't going to be my corps that got the benifit of DCA's decision to let the 11th place corps perform to open up Finals night. But as it turns out it will be the Kilties and I just wanted to say thank-you to DCA for the opportunity to give the fans one more performance before we close the curtain on "A Night at the Opera" and bring our field show season to an end. Any time you get to enter the stadium in uniform is a good time, even if you don't get to see where you stack up against your peers by getting a number at the end of the night. I hope those in attendance tonight will enjoy our performance as much we will enjoy taking the field to perform for you. While I love to compete as much as the next person, in the end without the fans in the stands, our activity would be nothing more than playing our show for empty stadiums across the country.

Ryan J

WWBD :beer:

I might be late to the party, but in 1994 we didn't make finals and we were the exhibition corps the next day. And #### proud to be there.

Nothing wrong with that. You're almost sounding like the "11th place corps" should be punished or something.

Its only a special thing this year because 1 corps was going to sit out and DCA didn't want to deal with having one corps sit out. It really isn't any different than 3 to 4, or even 5 corps sitting out.

I too was in a corps that didn't make finals from '95-'97, but even when I was 14 at DCA's '97, I didn't feel so great about going out there in exhibition.

Its only a special thing this year because 1 corps was going to sit out and DCA didn't want to deal with having one corps sit out. It really isn't any different than 3 to 4, or even 5 corps sitting out. I'm guessing you are not a math major. Perhaps if a different corps had taken 11th, they would have said "we got screwed" and went home. It looks to me by some of the comments by Kiltie members on this thread, that they accepted their score, and viewed their Finals exhibition as one more chance to perform.

I too was in a corps that didn't make finals from '95-'97, but even when I was 14 at DCA's '97, I didn't feel so great about going out there in exhibition. Then you should have gone home to pout. :beer:

Edited by Plankton

Kilties did themselves proud in both prelims and the finals exhibition and continue as a voting member of drum corps associates. They have much to contribute and their performance on Sunday night just proved that.

As for the decision to have the 11th place corps perform - every management team in any management situation must have the ability to be flexible when situations arise that are unusual. I believe the DCA team made a wise decision and I believe Kilties performance confirmed that. Considering a finals spot was taken by a non-North American corps who is NOT eligible for voting membership - by making this decision DCA management was able to follow the rules (only top 10 scoring open class corps compete in finals no matter what), rules that were created by the voting members themselves, and still be certain that both the performers and audience got the Finals opportunity they deserved...

Missed Kilties and bunch of other corps Saturday due to running back to the motel. Had our butts in the seats 5 minutes before the Kilted ones hit the field Sunday and all I can say is Thank You DCA...

Beat the Hades out of 11th/12th place corps being recording in stand still mode with no audience except for the color guard (1976).

Ryan J

Well said, Ryan.

And the corps' performance of "Slow Syne" at Finals was absolutely wonderful!!!

Edited by Fran Haring