Renegades

Why is that bitter? Bitter would be to keep putting time and effort into DCA and to continue to get treated the way they do. I think DCUK is would be a great move for the Renegades and probably a helluva lot more fun than sucky Rochester which was a bag of ### this year. First off if you are gonna be freezing anyway do you want to do it in what is an essentially economically depressed slum called Rochester or visiting Europe? Secondly, a lot of people in DCA and in these forums feel like its OK to bad mouth the Gades, so what is the point? I mean if the Renegades have to go in the hole every year just to make it to DCA just to not be appreciated then they should just go to DCUK where they will still be in the hole, but have a lot more fun. Finally Gary you are simply just being a jerk , you see even though the Renegades were not happy about their placement they didnt throw a fit...They still had a good time and a good party, but many of them felt that placement was a punch in the gut and people like you justify by saying things like "Their hornline was tired" what the hell is that? It's crap is what it is.

So when they joke about sending DCA the finger and going to DCUK you call the bitter. Must be nice to sit on your pedastool and hand down such judgments.

Wow. Just wow. I'm just....but......it was like.......nope. Just wow.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the Renegades 2009 Yearbook Write Up:

Since 2002, one of the most anticipated events in any contest city is the arrival of the San Francisco Renegades, the official drum and bugle corps of the city of San Francisco and 7-time DCA finalist. With swagger and style and an almost circus-like aura, the Renegades exude confidence, charisma and the elements of cool that can only come from the California coast.

This was true then and still is....

THIS is the Renegades...

There was a little controversy over the DCA decision to follow the book to the letter and have 10 finalists in an 11 corps prelims.

For my money, this was absolutely the right decision and this thread gives it some weight.

Why?

Because it lit the fire of competition. A free pass to Finals for all 11 corps would have been a whole lot less meaningful than competing for a spot and KNOWING that there might be excitement for making it and disappointment at missing out. To make the finals, you had to be good :) No matter who missed out...Kilties, Bushwackers, Renegades, CorpsVets, Scouts....MAKING IT meant you beat a solid competitor.

I suggest that the bus rides to dca, Friday and Saturday run throughs and prelim parking-lots were full of electricity because you had to bring your A game at every practice, in every caption, down to every member. Horn pops were tighter, mistakes more relevant....this is what it's all about.

The fact that the Scouts were so good made it even more exciting.

To be the best, you have to beat the best. Kilties were no joke. Out of 23 corps in DCA, they were 11th.

"We had to beat the Kilties to make Finals" is a phrase that could be uttered with some pride. And no shame in them saying, "we gave it our best, but that cut was brutal...did you see Bush and Renegades?"

Good decision, imo.

And the Rochester thing....Rochester has hosted DCA through thick and thin. The crowds come out. There is excitement and enthusiasm. The alumni corps can participate in droves (9 corps, average of 100 members plus their family and friends) and those people buy tickets.

And Allen Buell has it dialed in down to every detail...including the Visitors Association that rolls out the red carpet...closes off Main Street for us, provides security at a friendly but competent level, gives us great facilities at a reasonable cost (for shows, practices and that Mini-Corps thing that is FREE because Rochester helps to make it so) and makes sure the press is there. In tough times, when no other city was committing to make DCA a partner in 2010 or 11, Rochester stepped up to the plate to pretty much save the day.

Is it time for something fresh for DCA Finals? Maybe. But it isnt because Rochester was bad to us. A lot of people went a long way to insure that everyone experienced hospitality and a solid weekend. Coordinating 23 field corps,10 mini corps, judges, trucks, buses, personnel, facilities, etc is a big deal.

A "thank you" once in a while shouldnt be out of reach :)

Edited by wishbonecav

And the Rochester thing....Rochester has hosted DCA through thick and thin. The crowds come out. There is excitement and enthusiasm. The alumni corps can participate in droves (9 corps, average of 100 members plus their family and friends) and those people buy tickets.

And Allen Buell has it dialed in down to every detail...including the Visitors Association that rolls out the red carpet...closes off Main Street for us, provides security at a friendly but competent level, gives us great facilities at a reasonable cost (for shows, practices and that Mini-Corps thing that is FREE because Rochester helps to make it so) and makes sure the press is there. In tough times, when no other city was committing to make DCA a partner in 2010 or 11, Rochester stepped up to the plate to pretty much save the day.

Is it time for something fresh for DCA Finals? Maybe. But it isnt because Rochester was bad to us. A lot of people went a long way to insure that everyone experienced hospitality and a solid weekend. Coordinating 23 field corps,10 mini corps, judges, trucks, buses, personnel, facilities, etc is a big deal.

I definetly agee with what you are saying. I think the soccer stadium is very good because it brings the performing corps closer to the stands. Every seat has an excellent view. I know going to Annapolis will be exciting, but the stadium is so large that corps will be quite a distance from the stands. Also I fear that lodging, parking and other amenities will be much more expensive. I for one will miss the friendly confines of Rochester in 2012.

I'm sure it will be. As it probably was held there in the past. Like in 1951 just before the AL Nationals when former Caballero turned drum judge Vinny Mott "Just calls it like I sees it". And in 1966 just before AL Nats in Washington, D.C. when Doc Shranker (no relation to the former President of the NYC Teachers Union) developed a sudden twitch and placed 80 tics on his drum execution sheet. And once again just before the 1972 Schenactady (sp), N.Y. show when there was a miraculous one week recovery of what had been the Cabs dismal drumming execution score all season long. Just view the New York Skyliners history. It's all there. In one regard it's a good thing that the tic system WAS done away with. And believe me, this is no "sour grapes". Just adding to Mr. Morlot's sarcasm is all. :guinesssmilie:

sorry to tell you all, the meeting has been moved to grandpa's growler in Mechanicsburg PA.

:music:

I definetly agee with what you are saying. I think the soccer stadium is very good because it brings the performing corps closer to the stands. Every seat has an excellent view. I know going to Annapolis will be exciting, but the stadium is so large that corps will be quite a distance from the stands. Also I fear that lodging, parking and other amenities will be much more expensive. I for one will miss the friendly confines of Rochester in 2012.

well I am sure the Annapolis bureau's will be involved in helping keep costs down. to be honest, I have priced some hotels down there, and prices were not that much different from Rochester

OT here, I know, but for all the slings and arrows being thrown at Rochester, I have to say that at least for me, personally, DCA in Rochester, other than ridiculous airfare this year which was solved by flying to Buffalo, has been relatively low-stress. Now that may be because the Kilties are housed close to the stadium, but even if we weren't, parking hasn't really been a hassle, overall access wasn't bad even with the construction this year, and so on.

Edited by CorpsPhan

OT here, I know, but for all the slings and arrows being thrown at Rochester, I have to say that at least for me, personally, DCA in Rochester, other than ridiculous airfare this year which was solved by flying to Buffalo, has been relatively low-stress. Now that may be because the Kilties are housed close to the stadium, but even if we weren't, parking hasn't really been a hassle, overall access wasn't bad even with the construction this year, and so on.

I agree.

Rochester is/has been a great host to our championships, a fun place to visit, and I have enjoyed all 5 DCAs I have marched in there.

I agree.

Rochester is/has been a great host to our championships, a fun place to visit, and I have enjoyed all 5 DCAs I have marched in there.

I'm still shivering from the 1976 DCA Championships is Rochester. Why can't we go somewhere warmer like say, Alaska?

On the money, Joey!

If I can share an example of what you're talking about.....

After prelims Saturday, I got into my car and made a left turn out of the parking lot onto the street next to the stadium. A police car with lights flashing came screaming down the street, and stopped a few feet from me. The police officer got out, and very politely said that I needed to go in the other direction... and then apologized to me for not having someone there right outside the parking lot to let me know that I needed to make a right turn instead of a left!

Of course, I said "no problem at all....sorry for the wrong turn"... turned the car around and moved on. But I was thinking, "man.... if this happened to me at Scranton, that officer would have put me in jail and thrown away the key." LOL.

The city of Rochester has been a wonderful, gracious host for DCA, no question.