Giving it to Reading?

skeptic

So to me there was no doubt that MBI should have gotten the highest score in prelims (finals, it was close). They were on fire and Reading had a pretty sloppy show IMO. I feel it should have been MBI with the Bucs right behind them and Empire right behing them....

Did the judges give the Bucs a little more than they deserved because they had to perform in the mist and wind and MBI just in the wind? Seems that there was slotting involved for the top 5.

I would have just kept to myself on this but reading posts and talking to other people it seems I am not alone on this one, thoughts?

Edited by skeptic

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think MBI performed better Saturday than Sunday, and the revers for Bucs, but I am not sure I would have them winning Saturday. If I were judging, I may have had them much closer on Saturday, but I think it was the right placement. Very close regardless of what the judges say IMHO.....

If the circumstances of the day had been exactly the same as they were, if the performance quality was exactly as it was on Saturday, but the team that went on last that evening was someone other than Reading, would you be asking the question in the first place?

I really don't think what place the corps went on is part of the argument, at all. I don't think they would be complaining, because the right corps would have been on last. These first few posters aren't the first I have heard of MBI's prelims performance and how it should have been 1st.

I think MBI performed better Saturday than Sunday, and the revers for Bucs, but I am not sure I would have them winning Saturday. If I were judging, I may have had them much closer on Saturday, but I think it was the right placement. Very close regardless of what the judges say IMHO.....

Reading did what great champions do, they elevated their game for their final performance. Congratulations to them on extending their string, not an easy thing to do with a target square on their back.

if i were to only look at the prelims performances by the top 3, i would've had MBI and Statesmen above Bucs. Reading had a pretty sloppy show that night and i don't believe it was due to the misty weather conditions. Sunday on the other hand is just a different story in itself and i cannot really comment on it.

it is what it is.

if you look closely at the recap and ordinals for prelims, you'll see that RB was behind MBI in field percussion, ensemble percussion, field brass, and ensemble brass. For music effect, both judges placed MBI ahead of RB performer music effect, and one judge gave MBI the edge over RB in both subcategories. For visual effect, one judge split the caption but had MBI ahead over RB overall. So, for all of the music and effect captions, the judges DID score MBI ahead of RB on the performance categories. That seems consistent with the comments above -- so how's that 'giving it' to Reading? The total score is a combination of lots of different parts, some of which have to do with content and construction, not just how the performers did.

Is it only 'giving it to Reading' because it's Reading?

Edited by luvscorps

Here's the deal, in order to beat the champion especially one that has dominated the way Reading has, you have to knock them out. The plain and simple is, that just didn't happen and forget that east coast judges BS. Let's move on

I thought prelims were 1. MBI 2. ES 3. Reading

I thought Finals were 1. ES 2. Reading 3. MBI

Thats how close I thought the top 3 were.. My only issue is that Reading won based on thier visual.. and believe me thier visual program may have been the most demanding ever in DCA.. but I never saw it performed to the level where it should have been exceptable for finals.. And this isnt Bucs bashing I loved thier show this year, just thought there was too much dirt on the field to warrant a Championship with Empire and MBI being as close to them as they were this year