Favorite Decade of Drum Corps

Favorite Decade  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite decade?

• 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s

lol I am going to be the odd man out here and say that the 2000's have been my favorite decade. As much as I liked the late 80's and most of the 90's the last ten years have just been amazing for Drum Corps in my mind.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol I am going to be the odd man out here and say that the 2000's have been my favorite decade. As much as I liked the late 80's and most of the 90's the last ten years have just been amazing for Drum Corps in my mind.

It's pretty amazing that more than half the poll respondants prefer the 70's and 80's when one considers how many fans from the 70's and 80's no longer follow the activity and are no longer around to participate in polls such as this.

Edited by BRASSO

I think the 90's would have been everyone's favorite, if the 2nd half of the decade didn't just fall flat. 1990-1995 there was some epic drum corps. 1995 still one of the best drum corps years ever, IMO. But, I have to go with the 80's. It had the right mix and all through the decade, every year was pretty special. Good mix of the old drum corps with the new changes.

I think the 90's would have been everyone's favorite, if the 2nd half of the decade didn't just fall flat. 1990-1995 there was some epic drum corps. 1995 still one of the best drum corps years ever, IMO. But, I have to go with the 80's. It had the right mix and all through the decade, every year was pretty special. Good mix of the old drum corps with the new changes.

That's about how I feel. If I could pick any one 10-year period, it would be 1986-1995.

'70's for sure. This is where marching in a drum corps meant carrying your instrument.... no matter how heavy. Making top 25 actually meant something. Bugles were still P/R or 2 valve and keyed in G... and you got a penalty for an Amen, Off the Line meant Off the line..... And of course NO ELECTRONICS! With that being said, the best Drum Corps show ever IMO is 2008 Phantom, WOW what a show. But despite the decade, no better way to spend a summer.

80's.

The ten year span would be 1983 to 1993.

I would go with the 80's. Just huge leaps in the evolution of the activity without morphing into BOA. I mean, you can listen to endless tapes of TONS of corps and never get tired to listening to those music books. Not to mention, the corps seasons were an entire month longer than today and the local circuits were thriving.

'70's for sure. This is where marching in a drum corps meant carrying your instrument.... no matter how heavy. Making top 25 actually meant something. Bugles were still P/R or 2 valve and keyed in G... and you got a penalty for an Amen, Off the Line meant Off the line..... And of course NO ELECTRONICS! With that being said, the best Drum Corps show ever IMO is 2008 Phantom, WOW what a show. But despite the decade, no better way to spend a summer.

"Off The Line":

This sounds a LOT like the 1960's. :blink:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01