Audience types at Mini Corps competition

KenD

Well I'm sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to say. Frankly that is why I was so disheartened by it. I wouldn't have expected that from you.

Liz...

I get the feeling that no one really gives a rats azz about what is going on, on stage.....you know why?

Because the beer is more important!!!!

And there goes that theory.....

I give up...I'm done with this.......I guess I will just forget about performing any longer , and be rude to my former comrades who are vieing for a championship, and join the rest of the drunken slobs who don't give a crap about what is going on on stage....being drunk is the most important thing.

Hey...this IS DCA after all!!!!

heh...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liz...

I get the feeling that no one really gives a rats azz about what is going on, on stage.....you know why?

Because the beer is more important!!!!

And there goes that theory.....

I give up...I'm done with this.......I guess I will just forget about performing any longer , and be rude to my former comrades who are vieing for a championship, and join the rest of the drunken slobs who don't give a crap about what is going on on stage....being drunk is the most important thing.

Hey...this IS DCA after all!!!!

heh...

C'mon, Buddy...

Nobody said the beer or getting drunk was more important - but social gathering is, in that room at that time...

I have said here from the beginning that the Mini Corps Championship should not be held in the same room!

(Nor should folks have to wait to catch up - good luck with that one!)

Mini Corps deserves its own venue!

(And the respect that would come with it.)

I'm willing to bet that if the bar, or the corps, were in different areas this wouldn't be an issue at all...

Maybe in Maryland?

sadly no. It was far worse at DCA this year than in Indy. and Indy has a built in echo maker above the field.

but sorry Ron, I will disagree that the party needs to be that loud. it's a two headed monster. why? the corps play loud ( good thing) so partiers feel they need to talk LOUDER ( not good thing).

I can play louder than you can talk :-)

Again, I really think the performers are ok with a rowdy crowd. Moving the beer cart back a few yards and giving them somewhere to sit/lean (so they don't fall down) and a short announcement before each group I think would remind everyone and take care of most of the problems. I would hate to see admission charged just to have a separate facility, have a crowd half the size, and be able to hear a pin drop....if I wanted that I can just go to a DCI show (yes, I said that with my outside voice). And if everyone on here can police themselves a little I am sure we can keep it under control without messing with a good thing we have going.

After our performance most of us stood way off to the side back near the bathrooms, we were talking and meeting people but tried to talk close and whisper during the quiet sections. I don't think I heard any of our guys doing any loud talking or yelling during a performance and I hope none of our people disrupted the show for any of the spectators. Let me know if we did and I will make sure we don't do it again.

I can play louder than you can talk :-)

I DON'T talk when corps are on. hence the problem...others do.

look, i'm no anti social snob. My wife sometimes hates going to shows with me because every 10 feet I see someone I know and stop to catch up.

But not when corps are performing and I'm in a place where doing so will distract others.

C'mon, Buddy...

Nobody said the beer or getting drunk was more important - but social gathering is, in that room at that time...

I have said here from the beginning that the Mini Corps Championship should not be held in the same room!

(Nor should folks have to wait to catch up - good luck with that one!)

Mini Corps deserves its own venue!

(And the respect that would come with it.)

I'm willing to bet that if the bar, or the corps, were in different areas this wouldn't be an issue at all...

Maybe in Maryland?

Hey buddy..... :tongue:

WHile I agree that the mini corps need a different venue, it still doesn't excuse the fact that....

.....oh wait a minute.....

....isn't there a block party going on OUTSIDE?

Peoploe come INSIDE to see the Mini Corps....

More than half of the chairs that are set up in the hall go unused, becasue everyone is "socializing" (ahem....drinking....) in the back and making the racket!!!

The judges are not allowed to post here on DCP, otherwise I would bet that would back me up on this. They have a problem listening to mini corps as well!!

If you are going to come INSIDE to see the mini corps, give the mini corps the respect they deserve. Sit down, and shut the heck up while they are performing. When they are done performing, go as crazy as you want, talk as much as you want, yesll as much as you want! BUT....when the next corps comes on, back to business and SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Otherwise, STAY OUTSIDE, drink until your falling down drunk, and let the mini corps and those who WANT to see them, and LISTEN to them stay INSIDE and watch and listen!!!

Is this really that hard to comprehend?

Edited by FPonzo

Again, I really think the performers are ok with a rowdy crowd. Moving the beer cart back a few yards and giving them somewhere to sit/lean (so they don't fall down) and a short announcement before each group I think would remind everyone and take care of most of the problems. I would hate to see admission charged just to have a separate facility, have a crowd half the size, and be able to hear a pin drop....if I wanted that I can just go to a DCI show (yes, I said that with my outside voice). And if everyone on here can police themselves a little I am sure we can keep it under control without messing with a good thing we have going.

After our performance most of us stood way off to the side back near the bathrooms, we were talking and meeting people but tried to talk close and whisper during the quiet sections. I don't think I heard any of our guys doing any loud talking or yelling during a performance and I hope none of our people disrupted the show for any of the spectators. Let me know if we did and I will make sure we don't do it again.

Tony I didn't see it (or is that hear it) as a rowdy crowd. And I didn't notice any yelling or really anyone talking loud when we were standing in the back. And doubt if it was going on near the beer wagon either. The problem was each of the countless conversations going on at the same time just added a bit more volume... and a bit more volume, etc, etc until put together it was kind of a muffled roar. And like I stated earlier, the concrete(?) walls didn't dampen any sound, it just let the sound bounce around a bit to make things worse.

Having said that: Holy Hell it just seemed like no one standing on the beer cart side was paying a #### bit of attention to the corps on stage. And IIRC the chairs on the section at that end were almost all empty. I can dig that as would have been hard to hear the cors with the right ear sitting in that area.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Tony I didn't see it (or is that hear it) as a rowdy crowd. And I didn't notice any yelling or really anyone talking loud when we were standing in the back. And doubt if it was going on near the beer wagon either. The problem was each of the countless conversations going on at the same time just added a bit more volume... and a bit more volume, etc, etc until put together it was kind of a muffled roar. And like I stated earlier, the concrete(?) walls didn't dampen any sound, it just let the sound bounce around a bit to make things worse.

Having said that: Holy Hell it just seemed like no one standing on the beer cart side was paying a #### bit of attention to the corps on stage. And IIRC the chairs on the section at that end were almost all empty. I can dig that as would have been hard to hear the cors with the right ear sitting in that area.

Good points, Jim.

It's not like people are intentionally trying to disrupt the corps on stage and the fans watching the performances.... but the collective conversations do add up. I noticed it in 2009 at the mini-corps show. Wasn't there this year, so I can't comment on what did or didn't happen.

Hey buddy..... :tongue:

WHile I agree that the mini corps need a different venue, it still doesn't excuse the fact that....

.....oh wait a minute.....

....isn't there a block party going on OUTSIDE?

Peoploe come INSIDE to see the Mini Corps....

More than half of the chairs that are set up in the hall go unused, becasue everyone is "socializing" (ahem....drinking....) in the back and making the racket!!!

The judges are not allowed to post here on DCP, otherwise I would bet that would back me up on this. They have a problem listening to mini corps as well!!

If you are going to come INSIDE to see the mini corps, give the mini corps the respect they deserve. Sit down, and shut the heck up while they are performing. When they are done performing, go as crazy as you want, talk as much as you want, yesll as much as you want! BUT....when the next corps comes on, back to business and SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Otherwise, STAY OUTSIDE, drink until your falling down drunk, and let the mini corps and those who WANT to see them, and LISTEN to them stay INSIDE and watch and listen!!!

Is this really that hard to comprehend?

:ph34r::tongue::tongue::beer: