Raising DCI's Ageout Limit

Who said all of the corps had to do a full tour? In fact, whenever I would read press coverage of Jersey Surf or similar corps they would always profile at least one person who chose the corps in order to also have a job over the summer.

If you've just graduated college . . .or even in some cases, if you're in your final year . . .you've more than likely moved beyond a "job" and will be actively pursuing a career in some way. Internships, networking, even planning marriage or children . . .all of this starts to figure in the equation once you start heading too far past 22.

Of course, as I said, if you want to work at Target or somewhere else and then march when you're 23-26, I suppose that could happen. Who aspires to that, though? I won't fault anyone who does, but you'd think we'd hear more from them complaint-wise.

The amount of people that would be gained by making that age range legal would be so small (under 5 people in most corps, I'd say) it wouldn't be worth the possible issues that could come up from passing it . . .especially with DCA already around to cover the all-age bases extremely well.

A common theme in the woodwinds discussion is that by having the instrumentation DCI corps currently do, the organization is excluding hundreds of people who would otherwise participate. But DCI excludes a substantially larger chunk of willing marchers as well, and no one ever seems to complain about it: young adults in the 22-26 age range. In an age where life expectancy is almost 10 years greater than it was during DCI's inception, and with people entering the workforce later and later, does it really make sense to keep the age cap at 21? Why is 21 the magic number to be considered a "youth activity"?

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of opening up this previously excluded demographic for eligibility in DCI?

I think the ageout limit should stay exactly where it is. However, my reason is a selfish one.

There are some people who don't start working until they're older, but it's not like they aren't trying. I'm younger than 21 and my parents are already HEAVILY criticizing me for focusing just some of my attention on drum corps when I could be using that time to study more than I already do and complete a summer job or internship. While my parents may be a bit extreme about their dislike of drum corps, I'm sure there are hundreds of kids in DCI whose parents are the same way, so in their case and mine the sooner I'm done the happier my parents will be, since I won't have any more distractions from my future career.

Edited by MetalTones2012

This. Hrothgar, the fact that you would compare the DCA experience to the full-summer-close-quarters environment of the DCI tour tells me you don't quite understand the ethical issues arising from the simple nature of the tour. There is no way in the world I'd want 14 year olds and 26 year olds together in the same corps over that duration of time. It's already a slight issue when dealing with minors vs. those of age.

Some things you need to experience to understand; DCI summer tour is one of them.

Actually touring was not mentioned in your post about 14 and 26 year olds being together. I had the same thought as Hrothgar until you explained fully in what I quoted.

Yeah, I suck at mind reading too.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think 14 years olds are just as shell shocked by 21 years as they would be by 26 years, but I think the age limit should stay as it is if it's intention is to stay as a youth organization. If it were to turn into a professional organization with a salary and such (which I think would be a great idea), then open it all.

Nothing like going out on a date when you're 25 and impressing the ladies by saying, "Yeah I spend my summer marching and playing my horn ... I'm gone for over 2 months". Not so hot unless she's a band geek or ex drum corps person themselves. Know what I'm sayin?

Seriously! I mean how extended an adolescence do todays young people need?

I think 14 years olds are just as shell shocked by 21 years as they would be by 26 years, but I think the age limit should stay as it is if it's intention is to stay as a youth organization. If it were to turn into a professional organization with a salary and such (which I think would be a great idea), then open it all.

I've been waiting for months for you to come out and say this bluntly. While I enjoy sparring with you on here ........ you just lost my respect. DCI is a non profit youth activity. It is not a professional company that pays employees to perform. If you think that's a great idea, go find another Bill Cook and front the money to build your own show and hire musicians to do it.

What you wish for and keep pushing on here .... would be the death of drum corps in it's true spirit. It's no wonder I always disagree with everything you say :tongue: