What the fans want...2011

Actually Walden P. Woodwinder discovered drum corps in 1878 by accident while attempting to get all of the snare drummers and buglers in his town to line up for a photograph. A carriage suddenly charged into their midst and they ran in different directions...all ending up in formation again in another spot. He then suggested that they do that again...but play their instruments this time....what happened next was drum corps. :spitting:

:spitting:

- Appropriate guard uniforms

What is appropriate and what is not appropriate, and who decides?

Is "appropriate" the same as "not indecent" or is it the same as "thematically fitting"?

Less dancing and prancing from the guard and MUCH more equipment work. Maybe even some actual marching?

I want to never ever hear a woodwind in a drum corps show. Ever. Period. I want to be excited and moved, not impressed by sheer technical demand and achievment that is void of emotion.

I want to never ever hear a woodwind in a drum corps show. Ever. Period. I want to be excited and moved, not impressed by sheer technical demand and achievment that is void of emotion.

The crowd is excited by gimmickry, fast things and raw power (horns and/or drums). Other elements include harmonic progressions within tension/release and obvious precision. Woodwinds could not possibly take away from that.

It's not possible to universally move a group of people, unless you're OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH IT (PR 2008, gimmickry and raw power to the hilt). Even then, there are plenty of PR 2008 haters as well.

What was the last show you'd call "subtle" that won? Or even in the Top 3?

I love the activity for what it is now. The variety of programs, the quality of performances, the musicality of programs that introduce me to new musical ideas and selections each year, the fast drill, the dramatic presentations, and the innovation.

I want to see even more of this in 2011.

Bbs are fine

Hard drill is fine, good even. It just can't get in the way.

I wanna hear good music, like, with connected phrases. It doesn't have to be a tune I already know, or something easily recognlizable, but it has to be something with more than one short phrase at a time separated by long pit and drum doodles. Drum features are cool, but they shouldn't be mixed in evenly with stuff. I wanna hear complete phrases connected together musically with loud moments where needed, but not forced. I want to hear less synth being used as a crutch, but sound effects, I have no problem with. I wanna see demanding drill AND demanding music. It is indeed possible to make it engaging at the same time! There are elements of old era and new era in there... Basically

Old:

Pros-

complete music. No broken up sliced and diced arrangements. Much appreciated.

shows that may have connected themes, or things the music has in common, it doesnt have to have a complicated story. Though, I have no problem with complicated stories if I can enjoy the program with or without it.

cons-

tone quality sacrificed for volume. Only play as loud as you can with a good sound, which is pretty dang loud, you just have to inch it up and work on it instead of blowing your chops out.'

intonation was pretty terrible usually

Balance.... tons of stickouts in the days of old

I know we can blame technology and recordings for some of this, but you old timers know it happened more than you want to say.

drill wasn't engaging. The point of drum corps is engaging music AND visual. If you don't have both, go borrow some of BD's chairs and hang out in a concert hall.

Way too many "forced" loud moments. like they just tried to stick as many impacts in as they could. I feel like they're desperately begging for crowd reaction rather than earning it with their program.

New:

Pros-

Generally better music education. You hear tone quality, balance, and generally good ensemble practices. They're teaching you to be brass players

Better drill (with some corps)

Better attention to detail in technique uniformity

Much more demand placed on the performers

performed at a higher level

84 man hornlines? I think yes.

Cons-

over narration. Like, one or two words here or there is okay, but I don't wanna hear your lifes story... or a talk show... or YOWZA

electronic crutches. No need for low end synth. I understand if it is like a drone for mood, and the hornline isn't playing or something, or it is while they are playing pp and build and you can tell it is a low end synth, but at an impact, I want a natural horn sound. Please. BD seemed like the were doubling the whole chord sometimes this past year.

Chopped up arrangements. Nothing makes me angrier, than chopped up musical arrangement. There are some people who don't do this, but the majority of DCI are often culprits of this.

too many props. I understand one or two things, but Blue Stars 09's entire half field full of sewing machines, or BD's chairs and mirrors, just makes the field look dirty.

Get rid of all those cons, and combine the pros, and you have what I would like to see in 2011.

Edited by crazymello