Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

Without having actual attendance numbers from recent years it's hard to actually quantify. But if attendance is as economy-elastic as some here profess we should have seen substantial increases from '82 to '87, '89 to '94, '96 to '01, and '02 to '07. We should have also seen declines in '87 and '88, '94 & '95, (maybe '01 and) '02, and from '08 to present.

While I don't disagree that the economy does impact attendance at the margins, my hunch (HUNCH, without data) is that attendance is much more in-elastic than many believe, and until there is definitive data presented that shows variations matching the boom/bust years listed above I will continue to hold that belief.

Until such proof is provided I'll continue to believe that the economy is simply a convenient excuse for other factors more directly affecting attendance, for instance ticket prices as an example.

And exampling one, specific timeframe, the economy boomed from '02 to '07, which coincides nicely with the introduction of A&E, yet attendance is flat to down over the same time period.

Why is the economy blamed for down attendance but is not credited with up attendance during the "good" economic years?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the marching that's the problem, it's the music selection (and my favorite music is classical music). Snippets of melody, stand -and - blast chords don't do it for me. I'm saving my money from now on by NOT attending DCI shows. Let me know if and when they go retro (haha). Too bad, DCI; I'm just the kind of fan you'd want in the stands. I loved drum corps and I can afford any reasonable ticket, and could donate to a corps I liked. This is just marching band with dancing.

I'm with "Crowding" here. I have money to spend. I'm a "guardie". I like costumes and dancing, to a point. What I want to see is kick-### equipment work that's clean, clean, clean. I don't want a lot of props and stuff cluttering the field. If you can't illustrate the music with just equipment work, you aren't working hard enough. Guard members should not have to have a dance major to participate and instructors should not have to have a dance degree to teach it.

I, too, love drum corps. That which is being fielded currently is not drum corps. JMHO.

please, show me growth stats. attendance is down. the number of corps is down. very few corps were full which means number of marchers is down.

so, please, show me some growth, especially since in that DCW interview, the leaders of DCI are even admitting as much.

Depends on your definition of growth. I see you strictly define it in terms of attendance, number of corps, whatever. There are other ways.

Depends on your definition of growth. I see you strictly define it in terms of attendance, number of corps, whatever. There are other ways.

What other ways? Please specify.

Are you using "advancement" and "growth" as synonyms?

Or is this another "...depends on what the definition of is, is" goofiness?

Edited by garfield

As I suspected.

Agreed.

If you state there are other ways growth could be defined, be prepared to actually back up your statement with facts, not sly statements about a nice uniform or some other deflector. That's childish. Put on your big boy pants and defend your own comment or withdraw from the debate.

Agreed.

If you state there are other ways growth could be defined, be prepared to actually back up your statement with facts, not sly statements about a nice uniform or some other deflector. That's childish. Put on your big boy pants and defend your own comment or withdraw from the debate.

Honestly, I don't want to respond to that guy because because he treats me with nothing but disrespect and name calling, but I'll respond to you.

I find educational growth more important to me than audience growth, and the amount of college band kids is a good indicator that many people like what is going on pedagogically.

Edited by WOOHOO

Agreed.

LOL. "Big Boy pants". Hilarious!

And true.

But don't hold your breath...

Honestly, I don't want to respond to that guy because because he treats me with nothing but disrespect and name calling, but I'll respond to you.

I find educational growth more important to me than audience growth, and the amount of college band kids is a good indicator that many people like what is going on pedagogically.

Ultimately, there will be little to no opportunity for the pedagogically inspired to be elevated unless DCI finds a way to elevate it's revenues. Education does not exist in a vacumn. Somebody needs to be inspired enough to fork over some cash for the education to be financed and paid for.. Unless there is a growth in new fans, when the older fans die out ( or leave ) no more pedagogically inspired pupils takes place. This is just basic Economics 101.

Edited by BRASSO