Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

Do you have data that more than half the audience prior to the changes of 2000 were Legacy fans? Do you have data that more than half of them stayed? MHO is that MHO should be in your posts without constantly throwing around words that imply truth based on facts. It's been going on for a few years now and nobody ever calls you on it except for me, Ream and 1 or 2 others. Yet that doesn't stop you from holding to your guns.

Your Opinion is your opinion and that's perfectly fine. When it's never stated as just your opinion and continuously rammed down our throats as the all knowing truth doesn't help your cause Mike. It just makes us who see the bigger picture shake our heads and pray that those reading your posts are doing the same rather than drinking your kool-aid.

Three things to consider in these types of subjects where there are differing opinions.

1) common sense

2) opinions

3) facts

1 out of 3 is bad

In my case ... 2 out of 3 ain't so bad.

I always post my opinion...as do you and others. I've said that many times. You disagree? Fine. As for 'calling' me on anything..it's just and those you note spouting their opinions, nothing more.

You don't see the 'bigger picture'...far from it...you just have an opinion that is tied to the 'good old days', so to speak. That's fine. I prefer to move on with DCI and not trash the modern corps and the shows it's members present. You want to do otherwise? Go right ahead. Just don't fool yourself...all you post are opinions, as do I.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a few people 'walk away' it's a sign of what? It's a sign that those few people can't adapt to changes, that's all. It's happened throughout drum corps history. Plenty of legacy fans remain...because they enjoy drum corps of 2010.

They laughed? I thought the petition was given a hearing at he DCI meeting.

As for a boycott...just maybe the majority of the fan base actually likes what they see and hear. Why boycott something you enjoy?

a few people? can i have what you're drinking?

and yes there was a presentation. per Tim Kviz I believe reception was anywhere from polite, to condescending to quietly mocking.

and if fans liked what they see and heard Mike, why are they leaving?

Funny thing, though: the new designers are the ones bringing in/championing the new toys.

not all of them. and when you look at the top, it's a lot of names that have been around for years

Why? Just go to a show and look at the people...a mix of new and legacy fans. Is that 'hard data'? No. It's MHO from seeing in person and reading DCP.

Majority? Did more than half the audience stop attending in 2004 when amps were legalized? I believe DCI released attendance numbers through 2007 at least...and the numbers with amps at least remained strong.

I see smaller crowds. and like any change, it takes time for people to see if it's going to be good or not. and gee, look at after 07...wait you can't, they won't release the bad news.

Do you have data that more than half the audience prior to the changes of 2000 were Legacy fans? Do you have data that more than half of them stayed? MHO is that MHO should be in your posts without constantly throwing around words that imply truth based on facts. It's been going on for a few years now and nobody ever calls you on it except for me, Ream and 1 or 2 others. Yet that doesn't stop you from holding to your guns.

Your Opinion is your opinion and that's perfectly fine. When it's never stated as just your opinion and continuously rammed down our throats as the all knowing truth doesn't help your cause Mike. It just makes us who see the bigger picture shake our heads and pray that those reading your posts are doing the same rather than drinking your kool-aid.

Three things to consider in these types of subjects where there are differing opinions.

1) common sense

2) opinions

3) facts

1 out of 3 is bad

In my case ... 2 out of 3 ain't so bad.

i owe you beer

wait...EVERY TIME anyone else (dino) says majority and plenty we get scoffed at for having no "hard" data, even if it's a poll with "real" numbers. I can almost understand your viewpoint of drum corps, but don't tarnish it with hypocrisy...

I looked up at the crowd after several shows that I thought boring this year, and the crowd around me reflected the same response..can I use that as "majority"?

yes

I always post my opinion...as do you and others. I've said that many times. You disagree? Fine. As for 'calling' me on anything..it's just and those you note spouting their opinions, nothing more.

You don't see the 'bigger picture'...far from it...you just have an opinion that is tied to the 'good old days', so to speak. That's fine. I prefer to move on with DCI and not trash the modern corps and the shows it's members present. You want to do otherwise? Go right ahead. Just don't fool yourself...all you post are opinions, as do I.

actually, my opinion is based on facts and figures, all of which you try to poo-poo away with more rhetoric

The sad thing is that nobody has stepped up to form more corps, local corps that may or may not compete on a national scale, and that no one has stepped up to come up with an alternative to DCI (strictly junior, as opposed to DCI), that would be more sensible, foster more localization of corps (as well as drawing away those in DCI who don't like what's going on), and perhaps cater to the "purist" by offering more "tradtional" rules and such. There's no law anywhere that states that DCI has to be the only junior corps association, is there?

I don't believe kids today would want to march a show that "catered to the purist and offered more traditional rules and such". That is why no one has stepped up to the plate with that type of idea. It would be money washed down the drain on unis, equiptment, etc. As it is now the majority of people involved with drum corps don't have the funds to start to many, to barely any, new corps. The initial investment is huge. In these financially hard times, very few people would be willing to take such a potentially suicidal risk IMO.

LOL

ah you laugh. yet i was one of the first to post as close to an actual number on finals attendance as DCi will release.

and if attendance was so great, we'd have heard 08 and 09 numbers by now. after all, when they took over the DCM shows, they couldnt wait to crow about how attendance rose...no, they just had control over shows they didnt before. then the following year, we got attendance rose at "like events".