Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

Honestly, I don't want to respond to that guy because because he treats me with nothing but disrespect and name calling, but I'll respond to you.

Just a little hint here for the future ~ sometimes you get what you give. :tongue:

Having done a whole lot of reading in this forum, I would say if you sat back and re-read your responses to people objectively you can have the disrespect thing down as well.

i will disagree with you on the amount of college band kids being a growth factor. IMO it means that the activity is far more segmented (limited) than it ever was before. There was a time when the accounting major stood a good chance of making a hornline. You think I kid? No far from it.

Growth really has to equal $$'s in this economy more than ever. Without the paying fans, corps will not be able to afford to survive. While Mike D. made comments earlier about bus loads of band kids coming to shows with money, having spoken with people running suvie booths they said "Lots of lookers, very few buyers". I'm not sure what those kids, if they are actually getting money from mom and dad (*I know very few parents who can afford to send their kids off with money for things like suvies these days*) that money is going towards practical things like lunch and MAYBE the sale bin tshirt.

So while you may find growth as an educational aspect of the activity (and again one I disagree with you on), true growth would and should be measured in financial terms.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will disagree with you on the amount of college band kids being a growth factor. IMO it means that the activity is far more segmented (limited) than it ever was before. There was a time when the accounting major stood a good chance of making a hornline. You think I kid? No far from it.

So while you may find growth as an educational aspect of the activity (and again one I disagree with you on), true growth would and should be measured in financial terms.

I was thinking of increased educational aspects = growth as a very self centered way to look at it from the member point of view. Kind of like an employee seeing an increasing paycheck and thinking that the company must be improving since he/she is getting paid more. Of course nice paycheck doesn't always reflect a companies well being. (Thus sayeth the Gov't employee :tongue: ).

There was a time when the accounting major stood a good chance of making a hornline. You think I kid? No far from it.

It's almost impossible to believe this. Are you SURE ?

It's almost impossible to believe this. Are you SURE ?

I hope that is sarcasm.... :tongue:

I hope that is sarcasm.... :tongue:

If true.... it probably all went bad when they began to let" the accounting majors "into the hornlines, LegalEagle50. That's all I 'll say on that. Besides, just think what a financial mess DCI might be in today if we had people with Accounting Degrees running things in these Corps too. So, based on what I've been observing, I really don't think accounting majors have ever found their way into Corps.... not yet, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

I think most people liked this:

scan.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Edited by RetiredJedi

I think most people liked this:

scan.jpg

Hey, William Petersen marched drum corps! :tongue:

CSI%20William%20Petersen%20Grissom%204.jpg

I keep hearing it is the economy. Really. That is the only reason? Most of us dinos still have money and have chosen to use it elswhere. I gave new drum corps synths a chance and hated every horn doubling show, so my attedance was zero last year, yet my personal economy was up. RESPUTE that please. Tell me how I must be mistaken.

:tongue::tongue:

Without having actual attendance numbers from recent years it's hard to actually quantify. But if attendance is as economy-elastic as some here profess we should have seen substantial increases from '82 to '87, '89 to '94, '96 to '01, and '02 to '07. We should have also seen declines in '87 and '88, '94 & '95, (maybe '01 and) '02, and from '08 to present.

While I don't disagree that the economy does impact attendance at the margins, my hunch (HUNCH, without data) is that attendance is much more in-elastic than many believe, and until there is definitive data presented that shows variations matching the boom/bust years listed above I will continue to hold that belief.

Until such proof is provided I'll continue to believe that the economy is simply a convenient excuse for other factors more directly affecting attendance, for instance ticket prices as an example.

And exampling one, specific timeframe, the economy boomed from '02 to '07, which coincides nicely with the introduction of A&E, yet attendance is flat to down over the same time period.

Why is the economy blamed for down attendance but is not credited with up attendance during the "good" economic years?

because everyone knows it isn't fans being unhappy with the product :tongue: