Cadets Design Team Begins 2011 Show Planning

Sing, Sing, Sing! Oh man, I really hope that's in for sure (the article was vague on that point), that'd be sweet to listen to.

EDIT: Actually listened to the other two. Danza seems very cool, but I haven't heard any other corps' versions of it. Simply Irresistible..... was not what I was expecting after the first two songs. I'll definitely be curious to see what the Cadets do with this program.

Edited by CrownStarr

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about their first choice. Danza Finale was absolutely CRUSHED by Phantom. I wouldn't mind hearing Cadets version of this (provided Bocook doesn't hack it all to bits) ....... but I'm not sold on the idea that it's been long enough for another corps to take a crack at this piece.

Robert Palmer? Could be interesting and fun.

Sing Sing Sing .......... looks like someone has been reading these boards based on the quotes from Hop and Bocook. I guess DCP isn't so irrelevant afterall :spitting:

Don't forget BD's amazing version of Danza Finale in 1999.

I was hoping they were going to do Debbie Boone's "You Light up my Life" for the ballad....oh well, maybe in 2012.

Once they played it for the audience, no one could ever get it out of their head again - an ear worm that continues to this day from 1977.

Edited by LincolnV

I love the Hopkins quote about including a ballad! Haha!

I'd love to get my hopes up about this but they've managed to take seemingly fan-friendly shows and make them...too fan friendly? If they do what it seems like they want to do, power to them! It will be great to have multiple powerhouse corps driving a change that some middle-tier corps have already embraced.

Playing to the audience is what we did in 2007. It's what the Scouts did in 2010. And look at the amazing responses you wind up with, regardless of placement (though it's interesting that two non-finalist corps made pushes into the Saturday show with extremely fan friendly material!)

Edited by DrillmanSop06

If BD plays this next year we'll know there's really a cabal between Hop and Gibbs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B...agSuffix=dp_img

That whole teaming up for G7 thing wasn't enough proof? :spitting: :spitting:

FAN FRIENDLY 2011!

"Fan Friendly" is a cabal I'd join!

It could really turn the competitive results on their head, without a rule change.

Honestly, it takes one or two big names to take a risk. If that risk is rewarded favorably by audiences and (through proficiency) scores, we'll see trends develop. It starts at the top. Middle-tier corps are taking lots of risks but those leave far less impact overall than the most competitive corps doing the same things. It's why SCV is credited with asymmetrical drill, for instance.

Cavs were pretty fan friendly this last season in their own way. Cadets seem willing. Crown was. Bluecoats get favorable response. Let's get BD in the mix and allow it to trickle down!

Edited by DrillmanSop06

Sing, Sing, Sing! Oh man, I really hope that's in for sure (the article was vague on that point), that'd be sweet to listen to.

EDIT: Actually listened to the other two. Danza seems very cool, but I haven't heard any other corps' versions of it. Simply Irresistible..... was not what I was expecting after the first two songs. I'll definitely be curious to see what the Cadets do with this program.

1993 Phantom Regiment .... gotta check that out. I said in my other post that it's not been long enough, then I realized it's been 17 years. Even with that many years passing by, it still seems too soon. PR was just that good, just that powerful and just nuts in their arranging. I can't see any corps topping it, but more power to the Cadets if they actually do.

1999 BD wasn't the same piece. They played Rhythm 1 - Afrocuban/Malambo from the Estancia Ballet, but not the Danza Final