Cadets Design Team Begins 2011 Show Planning

Sweet! Contact is one of my favorite movies. The score is immensely underrated. Show sounds better and better!

Agreed! One of my fav movies as well. Score is very underrated. It's beautiful. I actually think I have the soundtrack on CD lying around somewhere. :spitting: A great choice for a drum corps ballad.

I have no memory of the score and will have to look it up. What I remember most clearly about the movie is the opening credits, which nicely convey the relationship of time and distance over astronomical differences; the wild face of Jake Busey as a crazed zealot; and the flubbed ending, where a good philosophical insight is scuttled by being turned into a mere conspiracy.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed! One of my fav movies as well. Score is very underrated. It's beautiful. I actually think I have the soundtrack on CD lying around somewhere. :spitting: A great choice for a drum corps ballad.

I have no memory of the score and will have to look it up. What I remember most clearly about the movie is the opening credits, which nicely convey the relationship of time and distance over astronomical differences; the wild face of Jake Busey as a crazed zealot; and the flubbed ending, where a good philosophical insight is scuttled by being turned into a mere conspiracy.

I thought he looked a lot like Gary Busey.

Don't forget BD's amazing version of Danza Finale in 1999.

Exactly what I was thinking. I remember when BD announced they were playing that in 99, I thought there was no way they could match Phantom, only to be proven wrong.

Both hornlines/corps did an INCREDIBLE job with that piece (one of my favorites); I look forward to seeing what Cadets do with it

Exactly what I was thinking. I remember when BD announced they were playing that in 99, I thought there was no way they could match Phantom, only to be proven wrong.

Both hornlines/corps did an INCREDIBLE job with that piece (one of my favorites); I look forward to seeing what Cadets do with it

Of course, it probably goes without saying that this is all VERY preliminary and may have no place on the field for Cadets this year. This stuff is basically making a design brain storm session public (which we probably all appreciate), and hopefully no one gets too upset if little/none of this music makes it to the field.

Either way, at the very least this is an interesting early look into what direction the design team is heading towards for this season.

As much as I love the Cadets, I'm hesitant to get excited about 2011 until I see where they go with the show concept. The Cadets of recent years always seem to find some element to include in their show that tends to alienate many of the fans. Musically speaking, the Cadets are always one of my favorite corps, concept wise, they have been one of my least favorite in recent years. As an example, 2010 could have been so great, however, we all know what part of the 2010 show turned off many fans (and not just the Cadets bashers, some diehard Cadets fans were frustrated with that show).

^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

If we're setting the show up as different styles of dance from different eras, then what would you choose as a "final" piece?

My choice: I think Hop oughta back up his words - bring on Lady Gaga. :thumbup:

Mike

Depending on the song, I might actually get behind that...

Or they could do Viva La Vida, by Coldplay. I could see that as a closer.

"MOVE" has got to be the worst drum corps show title I've heard since Madison used Spanish words in their show titles that sound horrible when spoken in an American English accent.

Actually, the title is a "working" title ... more of an idea around a theme ... from what I heard on the call.

Honestly, when Hop went to a Powerpoint slide titled "To Tame the Perilous Skies" during Sunday's (September 19, 2010 -- cough cough) conference call , my heart rate went up ... 1992 is one of my all time favorite Cadets’ shows :thumbup:

The reason Hop gave for not doing it was "too many DCI folks (fans, staff, etc) say a Corps shouldn’t re-do a show like that." Guess I’m in the minority when it comes to revisiting musical selections …

It is tough to believe it’s been 18 years …

Edited by Boybugle63

Actually, the title is a "working" title ... more of an idea around a theme ... from what I heard on the call.

Honestly, when Hop went to a Powerpoint side titled, "To Tame the Perilous Skies" with additional Holsinger works, my heart rate went up ... 1992 is one of my all time favorite Cadets’ shows :thumbup:

The reason Hop gave for not doing it was "too many DCI folks (fans, staff, etc) say a Corps shouldn’t re-do a show like that." Guess I’m in the minority when it comes to revisiting musical selections …

I'm going to assume Hop's not counting anniversary years...

Honestly, when Hop went to a Powerpoint side titled, "To Tame the Perilous Skies" with additional Holsinger works, my heart rate went up ... 1992 is one of my all time favorite Cadets’ shows :thumbup:

They had Power Point back in 1992??? :thumbup:

For a split second I had hope based on your comment above......TTPS is one of my favourite shows. Thing is, I agree with George about not redoing a show like that. I was disappointed when they brought back Rocky Point Holiday in 2003. The 2003 version paled in comparison to 1982/1983. Redoing TTPS just leaves the door open for the same thing to happen. Then again, Phantom proved me wrong with Spartacus so who knows.

I am not excited about Cadets for 2011 based on the musical selections listed. I can't listen to Sing Sing Sing without thinking of all the other corps that have done it and how it always ended up being the musical piece where brass members heads start bopping up and down and the audience starts clapping along. I know a lot of people like to clap along but this after all is the Cadets. They WERE the innovators in DCI for a very long time.

Lately I find them to be more and more like an over decorated cake. The concept starts out well but they just can't stop adding "icing."

Edited by LincolnV