Why is DCI so unknown by almost everyone?

More than likely the "totally FREE" part had more than a little something to do with it.

With the economy the way it is; you could pack a stadium of onlookers at the AARP (over 80) naked senior fastball overhand bowling pagent if it was free!

Sure. Check this out. It was totally free. The circumstances getting that many people to attend? Opera. For free. At the ballpark. That's all. It was no fund raiser because it was free. It was announced in the Sunday Entertainment section of the SF Chronicle, on radio stations and news sites. Opera in the Park (Golden Gate Park) is even crazier because it is a live performance.

Perhaps it could only happen in a place such as San Francisco? We have some rabid opera fans here.

ballpark.jpg

Here's a photo from last year's event, "Tosca". This year it was packed. The outfield and even the upper deck was filled.

Yes. Right. I witnessed about 30,000 opera fans watching "Aida" at ATT Park (SF Giants ballpark) on Friday night. To top that, the performance was merely a TV simulcast from the San Francisco Opera House. It wasn't even the actual live performance! So there you have it. 30,000 fans in one place all watching opera on TV.

That's to be expected. After all, Bugs Bunny exposed the masses to opera from time to time ("I killed the wabbit . . .").

Yes. Right. I witnessed about 30,000 opera fans watching "Aida" at ATT Park (SF Giants ballpark) on Friday night. To top that, the performance was merely a TV simulcast from the San Francisco Opera House. It wasn't even the actual live performance! So there you have it. 30,000 fans in one place all watching opera on TV.

I think that opera is better on tv than drum corps is on tv.

True, but there are still way more kids competing in bands than ever competed in corps. USSBA, for instance, had 250 bands at their shows this past weekend...and this is just one circuit, and here in NJ it's still early season.

IMO...

Drum corps is now the summer activity for the 'marching junkies' from the scholastic music world, the kids who really love marching/music. I think that is just fine.

so then...what's DCi really doing to hook these kids? where I teach gets the DCi pub, and none of it interests the kids, and we encourage them to go check it out. Shows like Lil geoffrey, lasers etc.....many kids today in comepting bands are doing "cooler" shows than DCi corps are.

and not every band at a USSBA or TOB show is hardcore competition. Many of them are in it for a grade. discounted tickets and some occasional clinics are not going to get them to sign up en masse.

many kids today in comepting bands are doing "cooler" shows than DCi corps are.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

..but it's still a bad thing for DCI don't get me wrong.

Sure. Check this out. It was totally free. The circumstances getting that many people to attend? Opera. For free. At the ballpark. That's all. It was no fund raiser because it was free. It was announced in the Sunday Entertainment section of the SF Chronicle, on radio stations and news sites. Opera in the Park (Golden Gate Park) is even crazier because it is a live performance.

Perhaps it could only happen in a place such as San Francisco? We have some rabid opera fans here.

ballpark.jpg

Here's a photo from last year's event, "Tosca". This year it was packed. The outfield and even the upper deck was filled.

What was the stage? The infield?

so then...what's DCi really doing to hook these kids? where I teach gets the DCi pub, and none of it interests the kids, and we encourage them to go check it out. Shows like Lil geoffrey, lasers etc.....many kids today in comepting bands are doing "cooler" shows than DCi corps are.

and not every band at a USSBA or TOB show is hardcore competition. Many of them are in it for a grade. discounted tickets and some occasional clinics are not going to get them to sign up en masse.

We have taken busloads of kids...and at the shows I attend they announce the bands attending all through the show...look at the number of school busses in the parking lots.

Yes, not all are hardcore...that's besides the point. They are there competing at some level, be it a lot or a little.

More than likely the "totally FREE" part had more than a little something to do with it.

Oh, I'm sure it did.

With the economy the way it is; you could pack a stadium of onlookers at the AARP (over 80) naked senior fastball overhand bowling pagent if it was free!

Think you could pack a stadium like this for a drum corps show if it was free? Perhaps that's what DCI needs. One big free show every year just to get some visibility. The closest thing to that is the Rose Bowl 4th of July show. Of course, the masses don't give a ####.