Why is DCI so unknown by almost everyone?

Wasn't 1992 called the "Summer of discontent" or something???

I thought it was '93, but I'm sure a lot of that had to do with Star almost winning.

Edited by Hrothgar15

So who created the false notion that what the younger crowd likes is mutually exclusive from what the older crowd likes? The entertainment and quality of a performance has nothing to do with age.

The quality of performance has nothing to do with age, but what people like musically does. Next time you're around your parents, ask them what kind of music they enjoy most, or play them a song from when they were kids, compared to one from now. You'll see what some pretty interesting stuff happen....

And they're not always mutually exclusive, just most of the time. Part of it comes from experience. As we age, our tastes usually mature with us. So the kind of stuff you like at 15 probably won't be the same stuff you like at 45. Especially with music. As you grow older, you're exposed to more kinds of music, and your taste in music usually becomes more mature and advanced. Which is why if you ever go to a symphony concert, you'll probably see more older adults than kids.

I thought it was '93, but I'm sure a lot of that had to do with Star winning.

Well, Star didn't win, but close enough. 93 seemed to be the year when more intellectual shows began popping up. As Dennis DeLucia mentioned in the 2005 Classic Countdown, the 90s saw more college music majors entering corps, and the shows began changing to the intellectual from the more mainstream entertaining. Back in the 70s and 80s, it wouldn't be uncommon for a pop tune to be part of a championship show. Now fast forward to 1993, and the winner is playing Holsinger, the second place corps is playing Bartok, and third place is playing Shostakovich and Ginastera. The times were changing, and I think it was for the better.

Next time you're around your parents, ask them what kind of music they enjoy most

Basically quality classic rock, folk rock, pop, and classical. As in, the same type of music myself and my friends enjoy today. It has nothing to do with "the times" and everything to do with the instrumentation, orchestration, performance, lyrical content, and mathematical construction of the music.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Basically quality classic rock, folk rock, pop, and classical. As in, the same type of music myself and my friends enjoy today. It has nothing to do with "the times" and everything to do with the instrumentation and mathematical construction of the music.

Well, you're the exception then. Looking at the music charts though, things are pretty different. But again, like I said earlier, it's usually a maturity thing. As people age, they usually mature, and their tastes in the arts tend to do that same.

Well, you're the exception then. Looking at the music charts though, things are pretty different. But again, like I said earlier, it's usually a maturity thing. As people age, they usually mature, and their tastes in the arts tend to do that same.

I feel like drum corps fans know enough about music to not find the crap that tops today's charts of any value, so I think we're safe here.

I feel like drum corps fans know enough about music to not find the crap that tops today's charts of any value, so I think we're safe here.

So true. I don't think we'll ever see the day where a Justin Beiber show or Lady GaGa show happens. If that does ever happen, I'm walking away.

Well, Star didn't win, but close enough. 93 seemed to be the year when more intellectual shows began popping up. As Dennis DeLucia mentioned in the 2005 Classic Countdown, the 90s saw more college music majors entering corps, and the shows began changing to the intellectual from the more mainstream entertaining. Back in the 70s and 80s, it wouldn't be uncommon for a pop tune to be part of a championship show. Now fast forward to 1993, and the winner is playing Holsinger, the second place corps is playing Bartok, and third place is playing Shostakovich and Ginastera. The times were changing, and I think it was for the better.

History of Drum Corps used the term "esoteric" without defining the term. Style of playing also began changing. My feeling was it went from trying to entertain the audience to trying to impress the audience with the corps talent. I walked away for ten years starting that year and I remember one corps playing horn hit... drumming... horn hit few notes... drumming <repeat for about a full minute>. After a while I felt "OK, you're talented.. now how about something for the audience".

I know I'm coming in late here, but after reading all your Posts, the one that rang truest for me was Kilties "bill" on Page 4. Community involvement used to be an integral part of Corps life. That's changed, and many MMs have no attachment to their Sponsoring town.

I can't speak about other Corps, but would like to point out the ongoing Love Affair the people of Rosemont, IL (AND surrounding towns) have with The Cavaliers. The Corps does "Parade" there and performs annually at the town picnic. 4th of July will find them parading in at least 3 Chicago suburbs. And it doesn't end there. When the Naperville show was rained out, The Cavaliers, a few weeks later, threw a 2 1/2 hour "CavaJam" performance (which included we Classics) for the disappointed fans at no charge. And in Michigan City, IN, (which does indeed feature a pre-show Parade) large numbers of the local citizenry with no familial ties to Drum Corps do attend the evening Contest. While I've never been to Denton, TX I hear that the "locals" are enthusiastic Drum Corps fans. But then, to the best of my knowledge, these towns along with the Corps DO "market" these events.

And speaking of "Marketing", who could have ever imagined that millions of people in the Northern States who have to commute & travel through ghastly Winter storms, would avidly watch "Ice Road Truckers"?

I don't remember who the OP was or which Forum, but the suggestion that a weekly reality TV show that followed Corps (and not just the "Big Guys") through the Season, "behind the scenes", practicing, traveling, performing, with all the drama that we know is a daily occurrence on the Road, i.e. The Cavaliers food truck fire & the response of The Cadets, Crown, and others, would open up OUR World to THE World.

IMO

It seems to me that the majority of the marketing goes toward recruitment. It used to be a requirement (at least in the now-defunct DCM) that a member corps had to host a local show. Despite the HUGE costs in doing so, I think this might help. Have you ever seen a semi-circle of horns or drums that DIDN'T draw a crowd? I feel your pain. This is something that has bothered me since I first got involved in drum corps in the early 80's. I am willing to bet, however, that if you ask the "man on the street" in Madison, Wisconsin or any other town where a WC corps has been entrenched for decades about DCI that you'd receive a MUCH different response.

All very true,...............if Each corps hosted a show, and used it to promote the activity, as well as for a huge recuiting tool, it will all help to expand the fan base and participation,........................BITD, premodern corps where the members were from where the corps was from,........... there were junior and senior drum corps AND shows all over the place, not just the big cities, but in towns, burgs and boros,....................that was great time (and more affordable) for corps,..........