Why is DCI so unknown by almost everyone?

What about Jersey Surf?

yea... possibly I should've included that disclaimer. They chose to play patriotic music. But you can't watch Cadets or Phantom or Cavaliers or Blue Stars or Colts or Spirit (or whoever) and think that the product on the field in any way identifies with America.

I really enjoyed watching Star's 1993 show. Drill design was impressive, color guard execution was flawless, and the show was impeccably marched. It was a bravissimo performance, and if you were involved in that organization, you should be proud of your accomplishments, even though you didn't come home with the gold medal from Jackson that night.

Would I pay to see that show again? Yes. Would I pay to see that show over and over and over again, on the same night? No, I would not.

Someone alluded to this in an earlier post. There used to be great variation in the product that the corps place on the field. There were tremendous contrasts in the styles used by the corps, both visually and musically. Fans could pick a corps they really liked, and identify with it.

Look at the top 5 finalists from 1980: BD, 27th, Bridgemen, SOA, Phantom. 5 very different corps with very different musical and visual approaches. If you didn't like what you just saw, for whatever reason, wait 15 minutes, and you will see something completely different, that is probaly just as good.

That has disappeared now. Today, every corps seems to want to re-create what Star did in 1993 - or improve on it. Unfortunately, after 2-3 hours of that, it gets redundant, redundant, redudant, redundant. Who really wants to pay for that? Regardless of the level of artistry or technical accomplishment, it will get boring. And people will leave - some will not come back.

Something that is boring and redundant is not entertaining. And no, people will not pay to see it, no matter how "artistic" or "technically brilliant" you think it is.

Sorry, but I fail to see how "Mad World" was redundant, that The Cadets "Jeffrey" in any way mimiced anyone, that Blue Devils didn't exhibit a novel approach, that Crown was a "copycat Corps", that SCV or Phantom, Blooo! or Madison didn't each present their own unique approach. And the list goes on....but you have, from your Almighty Judgement seat, proclaimed them all "boring and redundant". And why oh why would anyone try or even want to "re-create what Star did"?

If Star was as classic as many claim...where are they today? God knows EVERY Corps wants to be just like them, a flash in the pan, unlike those old fogies that win or lose, STUCK AROUND.

The real problem with with Drum Corps today is you and all the truly ignorant who follow you blindly into the Last Days of Drum Corps. You may be the future (shuddering), but you have no Past. We, (and I rarely use that word in place of "I") will do everything we can emotionally, physically, and Financially to stop the corruption, decay, and death of Drum Corps.

But that's what you want, isn't it? Drum Corps suffers, dies and is buried, but on the 3rd day is resurrected by you soulless minions of King George. And will recreate it in your own image. God forbid!

Holy Cow! Until this hilarious Post, I didn't get it! Gosh, that superior, I see further than you attitude was just a joke! Thank God! For a while there I thought Hopkins and his sycophants like yourself were serious. Just goes to show you how we Chicago rubes can miss the point entirely! But then sarcasm & satire are wasted on we the illiterate, unable to comprehend anything beyond a "Knock, Knock" joke. But how did you know that in 1961, Corps that couldn't run or jump or pirouette as well as you but could MARCH your ### into dust, would say their Evening prayers, asking God only that He help us to stay relevant to "band kids"?

Listen up, smartass! We of the '50s & '60s have watched 4 "next generations"! We haven't always understood, but you all have taught us how high Drum Corps could climb. And while, in our ignorance, we didn't immediately understand the evolution you created, we came to not only accept but love Drum Corps even more,

But this proposed 5th generation is creating turmoil among those upon whose shoulders you stand. "Band Kids"? Want to join the Corps? Then lay down that woodwind and learn to play a (dare I say it?) freakin' Bugle.

Keep it up, Hopkins, Gibbs, and any of you G7 elitists, and watch not only your Fans disappear, but your Alumni as well. And like it or not, we collectively, Fans & Alumni were the main reason you still exist!

Is that "relevant" enough for you, f......s...u.bone head?

I think somebody needs a hug....

Pretty sure you missed the entire point of what I was saying, but whatever. Why is it that I have to be an elitist because I like the activity today? Yes, I get it, your generation laid the groundwork for everything that's happening today. yes, I understand it and respect that. And while I love the shows of the past era, I'm fine without repeating that. There were multiple kids in my corps that have switched from woodwinds to march drum corps. It's about the passion, and the drive to compete at the peak of the activity that brings people in. And saying that we still don't march our butts off every day of the season is ludicrous. I challenge you to go out and march a current show, and see how easy it is to do.

I'm sure that if you travel back to the 80s, you'll see people barking out the same rhetoric, "drum corps is dead cause this isn't what I did!" yeah, it's kind of annoying. I love modern drum corps! Sure, it's all that I know, but I've done my research, I've watched shows going back to the 60s, and if given the chance to march one of those shows versus a show from the last decade, I'll pick a modern show every time! I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. I thank this activity every day for everything it has done for me, every positive experience this activity has given me, and I know there are tons of other people who agree with me, and will show up in those stands to watch kids like me perform every night as we pour our hearts and souls out for them.

Is that clear enough for you, A....m.....F.....l.....a....g....61?

Edited by fsubone

If Star was as classic as many claim...where are they today? God knows EVERY Corps wants to be just like them, a flash in the pan, unlike those old fogies that win or lose, STUCK AROUND.

Well, you see here..... They're off on Broadway, winning awards. They may have only one DCI trophy, but they also have a Tony Award and an Emmy. Which is something no other corps can claim.

I do actually think we need a corps like Bayonne again in World Class.

But on the topic of consistency, do we really want that anymore? Do we really want to see corps do the same thing over and over again. Do we want to see corps repeat the same tune year in and year out? Would people like to see Madison do Malaguena year after year, or would it get old? Or BD do Pegasus? Or Spirit do Georgia? Now, I know some people would like that very much, I would love to see some of them bring back some old tunes, but that's not the point. I think a corps doing a different show each year, choosing a new direction, allows for corps to try out different stuff, and fins what works best. I think a corps like Cadets are in a point of transition, and will soon find what works best for them. SCV has hit their formula in the last couple of years, bringing back the minimalism, while approaching orchestral charts.

And you're absolutely right, different strokes for different folks. There at years when I can't stand to watch some corps' shows, but other years where I can't get enough of them. Even with the old shows. There a better and worse versions of shows. I still think that the '80 version of Danny Boy is the ultimate one, same for '80 Spirit and Georgia. But I'm sure people think differently, and that's cool

Umm...with all due respect, I think you missed his point. Please read it again and see the difference between consistency and variation. IMO it was quite accurate.

Well, you see here..... They're off on Broadway, winning awards. They may have only one DCI trophy, but they also have a Tony Award and an Emmy. Which is something no other corps can claim.

Yes, and they're now gone. That's what OldSchoolbc means by "consistency".

Nor did you see the San Diego Chicken. Sorry, Bayonne Chicken. Or guard members dressed up as clowns and dancing bears. Or a fantastic rendition of an Earth, Wind and Fire tune. No, Bayonne didn't win that night in 1980, but they came real close....Jerry Lewis would have been pleased.

Nor did you hear a sensational rendition of Sweet Georgia Brown, blasted out by that Jim Ott hornline. Or Tom Float's rendition of The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Kid Rock would have been pleased, although he was probably only 5 years old at the time. :tongue:

Nor did you hear 27th's heart-wrenching performance of Danny Boy. 27th performed that every year for a decade. If you paid for a 27th show, and wanted to hear Danny Boy, you got what you paid for. Anita Bryant would have been pleased.

Nor did you hear Wayne Downey's trenendous arrangements of Free and Pegasus, belted out by their soprano screamers. You didn't hear that, either. Dave Brubeck himself would have been pleased. Hey, he is from Concord.

:tongue:

You know who else would LOVE to see that stuff, more so than what they see today on the field? The very same high schoolers that DCI is morphing the activity to appeal to.

Umm...with all due respect, I think you missed his point. Please read it again and see the difference between consistency and variation. IMO it was quite accurate.

Well, I got what he was talking about though. Variation is great, because most people can tell the difference between corps by just listening to them, but he was also speaking to the consistency of corps shows back in the day, when a corps like 27th Lancers would do Danny Boy year in and year out. And I'm not sure if that's really what people want anymore, sorry.

Yes, and they're now gone. That's what OldSchoolbc means by "consistency".

Oh, I was referring to AmFlag61's thing about people trying to be like Star of Indiana, and he asked why weren't they around anymore? I was referencing that even though they're not in DCI anymore, they're being very successful, (just look at the alumni corps), and they have brought DCI to the masses in a way.

yea... possibly I should've included that disclaimer. They chose to play patriotic music. But you can't watch Cadets or Phantom or Cavaliers or Blue Stars or Colts or Spirit (or whoever) and think that the product on the field in any way identifies with America.

Valid point