Favorite Corps Record

This one for starters...

2046.jpg

It had a 'tick' at the beginning that perfectly meshed with the music; LOVED this album!

Also the 1972 (I think) "Fresh Air Fanfare"

I wore out many more tapes than albums, esp. our "made in the stands" tapes from Finals...

"Caballeros 1961"

One of THE "All Time Great" Fleetwoods, and most likely their all time best seller. I wore out my "Original" and picked up a replacement and a CD a few years back.

The 1971 World Open Fleetwood series ranks high on my list of "Faves" for juniors, and the 1961 VFW Natioals Vol 1 (Chicago Cavaliers, Blessed Sacrament, Garfield Cadets & Caimbridge Caballeros, that years "Top Four") is probably my "Fave" junior single. :worthy:

DCW's CD re-release oof the 1961 "Cavalcade" is a great listen with Caballeros, Skyliners, Archer-Epler, Reilly Raiders, Reading Buccaneer & Guelph Royal Airs, as are their 1964 & 65 CD's of the old Baltimore "March of Champions. :worthy:

Elphaba

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had only two albums from my drum corps time period, and they definitely were worn out! I think one of my older brothers took them out back and shot 'em.

From '73, cover was red... had Colt 45 and Americanos (my corps) on one side, and I've no clue who was on the other (simply don't remember).

The other was DCI '74 Championships with Kingsmen, Blue Stars, Blue Devils and Muchachos.

Fortunately now, CDs are fairly easy to come by and contain a whole lot more than albums did. My collection is slowly growing :worthy:

71 World Open

album.jpg

1971 Santa Clara Vanguard.... :worthy:

1971 Santa Clara Vanguard.... :worthy:

The VFW Nationals album from 1971 with their performance on it is on my "worn-out" list. Great corps that year.

Ok you guys and gals, memory lane time. Let's talk corps. What were

your favorite drum corps records back in the day? You know the ones you just

absolutely WORE out.

One of mine was the 1968 North American Invitational vol 1. It had Troopers,

Des Plaines Vanguard, Del La Salle and Toronto Optimist on it. C.N.E. Stadium

had just fantastic sound for a corps show. In my humble opinion Vanguard should

have won the show but the Canadians were all Lady GaGa over Casper. Also the

contest over who played "Ontario" better between Del and Optimist was great to

listen to. :worthy:

Kemo

Hard - has to be Portrait in Brass (all Sky all the time 1960 - 1961)

tied for Second Brass by Night (Selden; Loretto; ??? & ??? bad memory night); or 1965 Northeastern Circuit Sunrisers.

Senior side - 1975 Dream where Sky knocked off Cabs for the first time that season and set up a three way race for DCA title. Sky also brought back 'Elks Parade' and you can hear the crowd going nutz.

Skyliners - Caballeros - Yankee Rebels - CT Hurricanes

LOL - wore out the album and now have the CD. Including a copy for the car when on long trips. :worthy:

Oh man! I was at that show (pretty much). Sky blew me away (and the other 20,000 as well! What a day!

Greatest performance of Elks' Parade ever. Ever.

Illinois Top 4 1966 with Cavaliers, Royal Airs, Vanguard and Norwood Park

Midwest Preview 1970 with Blue Stars, Kilties, Madison and Racine Scouts

VFW Nationals 1971, all three volumes

Wheeling, IL show, 1971 with Cavaliers, Santa Clara, Troopers, Blue Stars and Madison. Was weird because you have to flip the record over half way through Blue Star's show.

The first album I ever bought was the 49th Parallel with 1959 Scout House on one side and St. Vincents Cadets on the other. I plum wore that thing out...what a contrast in musical styles! I can still play the snare part to "Wayward Wind" from banging it out as a kid on the couch with the record going. Both sides were well recorded...sometimes it was hit or miss with Fleetwood with the quality of the recording...I still have the album around someplace.