Favorite Corps Record

One of my all time favorites too. Being overseas back then I listened to 71 World Vol 1 over, and over, and over, and over and over....

I'm on that one! :tongue:

Interesting that the 71 World Open finals is available on DVD! I have Garfield so far...I'd love to buy the entire show!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on that one! :tongue:

Interesting that the 71 World Open finals is available on DVD! I have Garfield so far...I'd love to buy the entire show!

It is really?? :tongue:

I had heard and loved BAC all season long, and I attended finals in Philly as a spectator...could not believe what they did to their drum show taking out the bells. Ruined one of my favorite shows all season long.

The decision was made just before we went out on the field....

A couple:

'74 Santa Clara Vanguard

'76 Blue Devils

'78 Bridgemen

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but my favorite was 69/71 Reflections with side A SCV and side B Anaheim Kingsmen! Wore it out completely....luckily DCW had it in CD form so I have 2 copies!

DCI Championships, Denver 1978, Volume 2. First I ever got, best I ever got.

Phantom Regiment

Bridgemen

Blue Stars

Guardsmen.

Wore that mother OUT. That's probably why PR 78 is the best show of all time IMO.

Me too. Phantom 1978. First DCI record I ever heard (at a college marching band party). I then borrowed it from the guy who owned it, and recorded onto a cassette.

Then I wore out the cassette driving in my old Dodge van with a high-end Alpine sound system.

The Garfield '83 album would be a close second.

I had that too...it was good. :tongue::lol:

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but my favorite was 69/71 Reflections with side A SCV and side B Anaheim Kingsmen! Wore it out completely....luckily DCW had it in CD form so I have 2 copies!

• 1 month later...

I had that too...it was good. :tongue::lol:

Remember the jet plane going over during SCV's 69 production number?

My absolute all-time favorite was 1965 Symphony in Brass recorded at Chicago's Civic Opera House. I wore out the volume with the Kilties, Cavies, Royal Airs and St. Kevin's Emeral Knights. What a great recording! This was also my mother's favorite drum corps record as she also played it all the time which, of course, helped to wear it out quicker. My father's favorite record, however, was the 1965 Midwest Dream, the volume with Argonne Rebels, Norwood Park Imperials, Kilties and McHenry, IL, Men of Brass Seniors on it. He loved the musical arrangements and soloists for the Men of Brass.

Tony Schlecta happened! He made up rules and made decisions on the fly as he saw things. He considered himself the very last word when it came to the "Million Dollar Pageant of Drums". Perhaps it was because they were horizontal and not carried as traditional glocks? Only he would know the actual reason and he took it to the grave. In retrospect, he was most likely one of the primary reasons, if not THE primary reason, for the founding of DCI.

Ray

Don't keep feeding us DCI's Kool-Aid, greed was the primary reason DCI was formed. The drum corps activity as a whole had nothing to do with the organization of DCI and accepted and lived within the rules at the time. It was 13 corps who belived that they were better than the activity and sought to go out and make their fortune together. That's the truth! Also in the pre-DCI era rules were discussed and decided at the American Legion Rules Congress held each fall (which is also where the organization of the Combine was announced at in the fall of 1971). As far as glock's go, I marched in that era early 1960's) and most felt that they were stupid and had no useful purpose anymore in drum corps. Back in the real old days they helped make drum corps more "musical" along with fife's because of the limited capabilities of the bugle, but with the introduction of the rotary and especially G-F bugles later on, glock's and fife's became unecessary.

I guess one just has to look back at the era of the VFW and American Legion and compare it to the DCI era. Obviously Tony Schlecta was right! More corps, more fans, more shows, more sponsors and the activity actually grew then. DCI put a screen door on a submarine and then kept telling us that we needed to take music appreciation classes if we didn't like what was going on. Fans and sponsors left the activity in droves, not to mention the almost the total disappearnce of the junior corps activity.