If You Could Do It All Again.......

I had the opportunity to go to Casper in 1964. (offer of a job from Jim Jones) A move like that was unheard of in those days and I correctly decided it would interfere with starting college.

Not having marched a major Junior corps is one of my big regrets and Casper would have fulfilled this old M&M instructor/visual judge's dream. (not to mention the opportunity to work with Jim Jones)

of course I joined a pretty "fair" drum corps instead staying close to home - The Grey Knight Post Crusaders and won a national championship.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wish I did junior corps...had the opportunity here and there, but didn't want to do that whole summer commitment at the time...looking back I shoulda!

But as far as Senior corps, I always was a fan of the Sunrisers, and apart from the Sr. corps I DID march in, Sun would have been the only other one I would have liked to do!

Also have to mention the 65 Chicago Royal-Airs. Simply the best of the best!

That's what was also great about being with the Royal Airs' Reunion & Alumni Corps, playing all of that great Truman Crawford music (and being with the "Commandant's Own" in 2002) Got to play every one of those charts from that year, except the closer, Where Are You". I always have wondered why the RARC never played that chart??

I know this isn't exactly what you meant, Rich..............

I would have included this as part of the topic, but I guess the light bulb wasn't 100% lit when I did the post, from sippin' on the foreign stuff down here in Kentucky. See you in Plymouth, and BTW did you get the Slingerland rope drum pics??

I had the opportunity to go to Casper in 1964. (offer of a job from Jim Jones) A move like that was unheard of in those days and I correctly decided it would interfere with starting college.

Not having marched a major Junior corps is one of my big regrets and Casper would have fulfilled this old M&M instructor/visual judge's dream. (not to mention the opportunity to work with Jim Jones)

of course I joined a pretty "fair" drum corps instead staying close to home - The Grey Knight Post Crusaders and won a national championship.

"Coulda, Woulda, Etc":

Having marched in a "Co-Ed" hornline (VERY rare for a junior corps in the early 1960's), and wanting to STAY in a"Hornline", the Casper Troopers would have been my choice. :lol: I first saw them at the 1964 Bridgeport World Open Prelims and (Along with everybody else) was FLOORED by their drill execution. :worthy:

I also noticed the "Females" in their hornline, and would have loved to have been transplanted to Wyoming to march with them. :lol:

Elphaba

"Coulda, Woulda, Etc":

Having marched in a "Co-Ed" hornline (VERY rare for a junior corps in the early 1960's), and wanting to STAY in a"Hornline", the Casper Troopers would have been my choice. :lol: I first saw them at the 1964 Bridgeport World Open Prelims and (Along with everybody else) was FLOORED by their drill execution. :worthy:

I also noticed the "Females" in their hornline, and would have loved to have been transplanted to Wyoming to march with them. :lol:

Elphaba

Don't forget the very fine co-ed horn lines of the Argonne Rebels too. Casper's marching was THE standard back then, but hornwise, Argonne smoked 'em all, IMHO.

Ray

Just a humble drummer

Don't forget the very fine co-ed horn lines of the Argonne Rebels too. Casper's marching was THE standard back then, but hornwise, Argonne smoked 'em all, IMHO.

Ray

Just a humble drummer

Love the opportunity to relive a great memory... you are so right about Argonne's horn line... In 1973, Argonne brought in Vince Bruni to re-write the drill and get them back into DCI finals - something NO ONE thought would happen... Vince brought me along to do dots...

The night of finals, we were to have dinner with Sandra Opie - the corps was on early and when we arrived at the dorm, she was in a big room running the strobe on the horn line... after a few minutes she saw us there to get her for dinner... and she stopped tuning and came over to us... Vince says "finish tuning, we'll wait"... and Sandra said something that has stuck with me all these years....

"It's ok, they know what I want" and we looked over and the horn players were tuning themselves... UNHEARD OF in 1973... or any other year

Skyliners, Cabs or Blue Devils come to mind first...

But I am glad my first senior corps was Phoenix, my juniors were St Joes Batavia and Purple Lancers

I had a chance to march with the Garfield Cadets in 1977, before I joined the Sunrisers instead for that season.

Something about my parents wanting me to work that summer.....LOL... so going on tour was out of the question and senior corps was the only option.

Didn't work out too badly, actually, for that '77 season. :lol:

In 1979 I had an outside chance of going out to Wisconsin and marching with the Blue Stars in what was my last year of junior corps eligibility.... but that, too, didn't work out, so I stayed with Sun.