If You Could Do It All Again.......

In 1960 I was still a bando. My group placed 2nd at the VFW Nationals in Detroit, but for me the highlight of that week was the supercharged finals performance of the St. Kevins Emerald Knights. I knew them only from the Fleetwood “Bugles Up” LP, but I was hooked for life that torrid August night.

Although I eventually joined the Kilties and enjoyed a bit of competitive success, my secret desire was always to run away from home and join St. Kevins. The realities of achieving adulthood prevented that.

Sadly in the early 70s, the Emerald Knights faded into history. A decade later, the Kilties followed.

Then in the 90s, something wonderful happened. Kilties' alumni started an adult, non-competitive corps. And a few years later, the same thing occurred in Dorchester MA.

Last spring, my dream of half a century was realized! At the BHOF show in Bridgeport, I got to suit up and play with the St. Kevins Alumni. And making things even better I shared a 1st baritone stand with my big friend, the legendary Bobby Gaff. "This Nearly Was Mine" - - - came true.

Life is good. It’s nice to win a few significant trophies along the way, but the true rewards in this activity come from meeting the people and playing the music.

Edited by HornsUp

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1960 I was still a bando. My group placed 2nd at the VFW Nationals in Detroit, but for me the highlight of that week was the supercharged finals performance of the St. Kevins Emerald Knights. I knew them only from the Fleetwood “Bugles Up” LP, but I was hooked for life that torrid August night.

Although I eventually joined the Kilties and enjoyed a bit of competitive success, my secret desire was always to run away from home and join St. Kevins. The realities of achieving adulthood prevented that.

Sadly in the early 70s, the Emerald Knights faded into history. A decade later, the Kilties followed.

Then in the 90s, something wonderful happened. Kilties' alumni started an adult, non-competitive corps. And a few years later, the same thing occurred in Dorchester MA.

Last spring, my dream of half a century was realized! At the BHOF show in Bridgeport, I got to suit up and play with the St. Kevins Alumni. And making things even better I shared a 1st baritone stand with my big friend, the legendary Bobby Gaff. "This Nearly Was Mine" - - - came true.

Life is good. It’s nice to win a few significant trophies along the way, but the true rewards in this activity come from meeting the people and playing the music.

Great story Kenny.

For me, Jr=Chicago Royal Airs/St Joseph's Batavia, Sr=Sky

:thumbup:

Thought about this one for a bit and came to the conclusion that by virtue of timing, I probably would have joined the St. Paul Scouts locally..They were one of the first corps I ever saw, and they had a swagger unlike any 'band' in our area.

Had I not lost my last couple of years of eligibility to the Army, I suspect I may have tried to make Madison or Blue Stars..After going to AL and VFW shows in '72 - Argonne would have been a nice option as well.

On the all-age side: Cabs (or Bucs)

Pat

Jr...Liberty Bell

Sr....Archer- Epler

Wouldn't change any of that...but...there was always something about those

New York Skyliners

Kilties 2006. And as others have coined it. BEST SHOW NEVER SEEN at DCA.

And a number of other more local options. Best shows, never given the opportunity to be seen at DCA. Or any "local" competition.

As far as juniors. The culture was at the time, that even if you wanted to, unless you outright sucked, you couldn't change corps without consequences. Not that that matters much these days. Otherwise I would have liked to have marched the closest and cheapest corps to where I lived / wanted to live. That way when the season ends, you never have to never see all of your new found friends ever again.

Kilties 2006. And as others have coined it. BEST SHOW NEVER SEEN at DCA.

And a number of other more local options. Best shows, never given the opportunity to be seen at DCA. Or any "local" competition.

As far as juniors. The culture was at the time, that even if you wanted to, unless you outright sucked, you couldn't change corps without consequences. Not that that matters much these days. Otherwise I would have liked to have marched the closest and cheapest corps to where I lived / wanted to live. That way when the season ends, you never have to never see all of your new found friends ever again.

Leaving one corps and joining another has been going on since I began my participation in 1968. Of the several individuals I know personally who did so, not a one has ever mentioned "consequences". Please elaborate regarding these "consequences" you speak of. From Cincinnati alone, not only did kids leave Black Shields for Queen City Cadets, folks left the city's local corps to join the Kilties, Marion Cadets, Troopers, Anahiem Kingsmen and Madison Scouts. This occured in the early 70's. In the 1950s, folks from Cincinnati switched membership from Forestville Spitfires to Men Of Ohio with no repercussions at all. In the 80's one Cincinnati resident in particular left the local "All Age" corps Cincinnati Tradition and went to Steel City Ambassadors. ( ME). I am happy to report that there were no "consequences", as a result of my decision! Recent history had Cincinnati residents leaving Cincinnati Glory for Glassmen, Southwind and other corps, again with no ill effects, or consequences, other than becoming better musicians. As for commuting and never getting to see your new found friends ever again: hogwash! I have "commuted" to participate with EVERY corps I've ever marched with, (except my first corps). I still see each of the friends I've made from all of those corps to this day. And those friends "go back" to 1980! Last season I marched next to Jeff Neal in Kilties Honorguard. He and I go back to 1968. Do the math. Thats 5 decades worth of friends that I still see on a regular basis. The ones I no longer see, are sadly, dead. THOSE friends live on in my memory. I would be interested in your assesment of the "culture" of whatever decade you are speaking of.

Edited by hairbear

If I had known then what I know now, I would have joined Westshoremen in 1979. I also would not have gotten married in 1983 and marched with Westshore longer than I did.

Kilties were at DCA in 2006,.............I saw them,............

Oh don't go arguing with him. He's is dillussional that because it didn't get on tape that it didn't happen in his mind.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't change a single thing.

I marched in St. Francis Xavier Cadets (taught by Jim Donnelly, John Sasso and Bobby Thompson), then St. Catherine's (Joe Genero briefly, Sasso and Thompson again, and Billy Hightower), followed by the Sunrisers (Sasso, Hightower, Shellmer..et al.).

Beyond that I was fortunate enough to do a few cameo appearances with groups I taught (Hurricanes, Westshore and Park City).

For me, this constitutes an embarassment of riches.