Mr. Sondheim says...

bummer.

anyhoo, i wonder what Sondheim would have to say after watching BD 2010 and Madison 2010. which would he enjoy more? and why?

now THAT's a good poll.

i was surprised at how many old-school madison fans were swept away by the musical arrangements and never noticed how many "modern" elements were slipped into that show -- things which they routinely abhor in other corps.

and i was surprised by the number of people who were swept away by the visual overload of the BD and missed so many standard BD programming choices which have worked for them year after year after year.

now THAT's a good poll.

i was surprised at how many old-school madison fans were swept away by the musical arrangements and never noticed how many "modern" elements were slipped into that show -- things which they routinely abhor in other corps.

yep. visual allusions and battery allusions to high-placing 00s shows, especially.

> Overload

Interesting word choice. Speaking for myself only :) I have never had a problem with visual, audible, and other experimentation as long as those aspects do not "overpower" the music and drill or "overload" the senses. Cadets and Devils both have had a few recent shows which went into the world of overload; even going back to the Star of Indiana Circus show which went into overload. To me, 2010 Madison had a proper balance; presenting the meat through music and drill while experimenting on the edges, and that is why there was not much barking from the traditionalists.

For all the #####ing and moaning you do about "speaking for other people" , you sure do a lot of it in this post.

Just sayin'.

:thumbup:

i used to think plan was rational.

agreed with many things he posted.

but the more i read him, the more i realize he's not arguing from principal at all.

he's just arguing from homerism -- it makes him angry and upset that not everyone unconditionally loves everything his team produces.

i don't think he believes for a minute that anyone could dislike aspects of the direction they've been headed without having some deep-seated hatred toward the program. why do i come to these conclusions? just read his posts. he's begun to let his homerism slip out more and more frequently.

so i'll give him the kool aid every time his motivation appears to come from homerism instead rational discussion.

and you know what -- he'll drink it !!

gee and when I said this to him, I was a hater. :thumbup:

gee and when I said this to him, I was a hater. :thumbup:

With no urge to drag this out any longer, I will simply say Jeff, that I had no intension of pushing anyone's buttons here. However, it appears that when it comes to my posts, corpsband is "self-pushing" (and you could go blind from that!).

He stated that I am a homer...perhaps, but if I respond to inaccuracies or comments that lay out there like dead fish on a hot day, it's not so much that, as an attempt to present a different viewpoint or truth as I see it. Further, because I say nothing bad about other corps or their shows, I suppose I am a universal homer. Corpsband (the poor fellow) was locked in a pitched battle over prevailing outcomes all last season and it seems to have pinched his nose a bit. But we all get over it.. I think!

Finally, I am not remotely angry or upset about anyone who doesn't find favor or "unconditional love" for my favorite or any corps and their presentations, I only remind those involved in the ongoing thread that what may appear to some as obvious, may be tempered by things other than what's on the field. I don't drink cool aid, particularly his brand and have not, nor do I plan on labeling you (my fellow VW having friend) a hater! That's just bizarre. Be careful you don't get into that "self-pushing" business.

<snip>

He stated that I am a homer...perhaps, but if I respond to inaccuracies or comments that lay out there like dead fish on a hot day, it's not so much that, as an attempt to present a different viewpoint or truth as I see it. Further, because I say nothing bad about other corps or their shows, I suppose I am a universal homer. <snip>

:tongue:

Sorry, I try not to join in to the reindeer games....but the sentence I bolded above, is one of the funniest I've seen.

bummer.

anyhoo, i wonder what Sondheim would have to say after watching BD 2010 and Madison 2010. which would he enjoy more? and why?

Probably neither, because he's (admittedly) a testy, grumpy 80-year-old who doesn't suffer fools gladly and doesn't like to leave New York very often.

My guess is he wouldn't care to watch them on DVD either.