Rivalries in DCI.

When I marched (early 80's) BD and PR were in the midst of their rivalry.

The rivalry between SCV and BD during that era was a friendly one. The organizations are an hour apart, so it was not uncommon to have SCV visit our rehearsals. The members of the corps often went to high school together and college together. The BD staff at the time either marched BD or SCV. We wanted to best each other, but off the field it was a just hanging out with friends.

When I marched (early 80's) BD and PR were in the midst of their rivalry.

The rivalry between SCV and BD during that era was a friendly one. The organizations are an hour apart, so it was not uncommon to have SCV visit our rehearsals. The members of the corps often went to high school together and college together. The BD staff at the time either marched BD or SCV. We wanted to best each other, but off the field it was a just hanging out with friends.

LOL Written by the guy who remembers all the words to ALL those ummm. not so friendly corps songs! :thumbup:

Phantom beating Cavaliers twice in over a decade is hardly considered a rivialry

i think Cavaliers vs Blue Devils is a big rivalry

maybe not back in the day, but Cavies and BD have dominated the 2000's

with the exception of 2 years, its either BD or Cavaliers

plus they are the two most consistent corps in the top 5

nuff said

While placements might have something to do with it, from the outside looking in, I could see where you might think that.

Again, a topic that really requires you to be in the action. Today, many individuals have friends in other corps. While reindeer games were certainly the norm with some corps, outright personal rivalries didn't seem to be huge. Competition plays a small role, yes. But I think overall, we're not talking about rivalries like some described back in the day.

LOL Written by the guy who remembers all the words to ALL those ummm. not so friendly corps songs! :thumbup:

Well yeah, but didn't you have lyrics for most other corps? I know that was the norm in many of the corps I marched in.

I consider that less a focussed rivalry but more, creative teenagers with time on their hands on bus rides. :thumbup:

Edited by CuriousMe

Back in the 90's Boston and Freelancers!

Wasn't it Boston and everyone else? Freelancers, Blue Knights, Dutch Boy, VK, Hutch. We did get along well with PR and Madison. That was 20 years ago. I don't know about now.

Wow, look who's left. What a shame. "We will never die ..."

sometimes i dont think the members instigate rivalries, i think sometimes its staff bringing their grudges they had against other corps when they marched and then feeding it to the members...

Things may have changed from my day, but The Bluecoats always got along with The Cavaliers just fine. I even remember sharing some retreat candy with them down in the Indy tunnels before retreat!

BD and Cavies from what I know have a long-standing rivalry.

I'll second the Crown and Cadets current rivalry.

I'm kind of surprised Vanguard and Devs don't have a rivalry (that I'm aware of), you know being close to each other and all.

Way, way, way, WAY back in ancient history, about 350,000 years ago.........legend tells of a rivalry between SCV and BD, which harks back to a time when both corps were on the same competitive level.

These tales are steeped in legend and myth...............no one knows for sure.

Edited to add this last part: I recently spoke with a young gentleman about marching in the Renegades... He is giving it consideration but has a hard time marching with BD ageouts as he was in SCV... In his words, "I know there are some really great people that come out of the Concord Corps but I have been trained to hate them..." This was in the past few months...

I cannot find this more laughable.

I do find it disappointing that someone who marched SCV, who is in drum corps thought of as the hallmark of class and integrity, to be trained to HATE anyone. And, competitively, that's like someone being trained to hate the Giants who played for.....er, um.........who was the seventh place baseball team again this year?

Anyway, whoever this kid you are talking about is is gonna LOVE me...........or NOT.

P.S. NOT slamming SCV...........just tired of them not winning in forever............

Bluecoats and Cavaliers definitely don't have trouble getting along in my experience. Even when we are close in competition, its hard to have disgruntled feelings toward those guys. They're just too much fun to hang out with. Our corps seem to have very similar atmospheres as far as attitudes go.