Time to dispel a myth...

agree. But, I also realize what it may cost DCI to get this to happen...after ESPN, they're better off spending money wisely

a) VK could have put it in the contract that Alesha should say something on stage at every concert promoting drum corps shows after performing this song; and b) If Alesha liked the VK line enough she would promote them on stage herself without a prompt from VK or DCI.

Edited by Stu

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> ok but...given what BD and Cadets play, how do they do that? IMO, they keep rolling out the music of "dead white guys"

> I'm not so sure I agree. The G7 angle was not trying to go "pop" with drumcorps.

While it is true that Gibbs/Hop want more fan interaction, and they want to keep the standard drum corps instrumentation, they actually do want a "pop" style format from the pre-show, to the field show, and all the way to the Finale. Read the latter portion of the G7 Report from page 49 to the end carefully; read the choice of words used by Gibbs like "Relevance, Entertainment, Fan Engagement, Cirque, In-Audience Production, etc...". To me that says they would be very elated if the audience engages in mosh pits, fist pumps, pogo-dancing, and all of the things associated with "pop" music formats. And the only way to get that type of crowd engagement is to produce the shows in a manner that elicits those actions.

Edited by Stu

> ok but...given what BD and Cadets play, how do they do that? IMO, they keep rolling out the music of "dead white guys"

> I'm not so sure I agree. The G7 angle was not trying to go "pop" with drumcorps.

While it is true that Gibbs/Hop want more fan interaction, and they want to keep the standard drum corps instrumentation, they actually do want a "pop" style format from the pre-show, to the field show, and all the way to the Finale. Read the latter portion of the G7 Report from page 49 to the end carefully; read the choice of words used by Gibbs like "Relevance, Entertainment, Fan Engagement, Cirque, In-Audience Production, etc...". To me that says they would be very elated if the audience engages in mosh pits, fist pumps, pogo-dancing, and all of the things associated with "pop" music formats. And the only way to get that type of crowd engagement is to produce the shows in a manner that elicits those actions.

It's a huge leap from "Relevance, Entertainment, Fan Engagement, Cirque, In-Audience Production, etc..." to "mosh pits, fist pumps, pogo-dancing, and all of the things associated with "pop" music formats." I realize you said "To me" but still --anyone with even a smidgen of common sense would quickly realize that there's absolutely no way drumcorps could ever become that.

I think a more realistic interpretation is to focus on the Cirque thing: they took a very "traditional" form of entertainment (the circus) and updated it. Cirque is still about the acrobats and clowns and daredevils -- the fundamentals have not changed (for good reason -- people *like* circuses). But they've updated the packaging a bit to set the hook. Now people pay oodles of money for a what used be a relatively cheap form of entertainment.

I don't think drumcorps parallels Cirque exactly but some of the fundamental marketing concepts they're pursuing are the same. Don't change the product -- change the packaging.

Edited by corpsband

While it is true that Gibbs/Hop want more fan interaction, and they want to keep the standard drum corps instrumentation, they actually do want a "pop" style

Which Hop are YOU talking about?

> Cirque is still about the acrobats and clowns and daredevils...

My point exactly! Gibbs wants drum corps to be more like Cirque!

That's my take on it, and even Plan on here has described it as such with the Blue Ocean talk he came on with. http://www.blueoceanstrategy.com/

Cirque Blue Ocean Strategy...

http://www.blueoceanstrategy.com/too/cds.html

"Description:

This is the second of a two-case series. Cirque du Soleil very successfully entered a structurally unattractive circus industry. It was able to reinvent the industry and created a new market space by challenging the conventional assumptions about how to compete. It value innovated by shifting the buyer group from children (end-users of the traditional circus) to adults (purchasers of the traditional circus), drawing upon the distinctive strengths of other alternative industries, such as the theatre, Broadway shows and the opera, to offer a totally new set of utilities to more mature and higher spending customers. The case series is designed to serve a variety of purposes in the 'value innovation and creating new market space' teaching module of an MBA strategy course or executive education programme. In both instances, the instructor can best use it to cover the following topics: (1) value innovation logic (as compared to industry and competitive analysis); (2) the concept of value curve; and (3) the six paths framework for creating new market space. A teaching note and video are available to accompany this case series **ecch European Case Awards Category Winner 2008**"

Edited by jjeffeory

My experience in London with "blast!" convinced me that what we do does translate to a mainstream audience. If an English/ European "got it"...well, that was enough proof for me.

The key is playing music, melodies...stuff that anyone can relate to emotionally. NOT orchestrated sound effects, "ambichord" ostinatos, and lydian/octotonic scale fragments. What Mr. Dorritie refers to as boop-boop, beep-beep music...

Entertainment folks.

My experience in London with "blast!" convinced me that what we do does translate to a mainstream audience. If an English/ European "got it"...well, that was enough proof for me.

The key is playing music, melodies...stuff that anyone can relate to emotionally. NOT orchestrated sound effects, "ambichord" ostinatos, and lydian/octotonic scale fragments. What Mr. Dorritie refers to as boop-boop, beep-beep music...

Entertainment folks.

You win.

Entertainment folks.

:tongue::tongue: