What shows have not made sense to you in dci history?

Lance

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finis? You couldnt grasp it was all endings to famous pieces, with some visual nods to great closer drill of legends gone by?

I got that in June without the syllabus

Only because I saw the movie, like I said earlier.

Finis? No, just a bunch of music and marching around.

Scheherzade? No, don't know the story lines.

Ssaw the movie, it was ok; liked the ballet and video viewed drum corps

Not familiar with Finis but liked what I heard drum corps do

Don't know the Scheherzade story line, however

the music speaks to me emotionally

Finis? You couldnt grasp it was all endings to famous pieces, with some visual nods to great closer drill of legends gone by?

there was a syllabus???

a lot of shows dont "make sense" to me when i watch them live. i just like watching, listening, and FEELING the music, not try to worry about those things until DVDs are out and you cant really feel it like you can live

2 shows i can tell you that DID make sense to me are the 2 shows i was apart of :lol:

I still have no idea what the 2 Glassmen shows about "1" were about.

A lot of SCV shows over the years havent made sense to me because, well they ARE "vanguard".

I actually get "Not the Nutcracker" and liked it a lot. What I've never understood are 1994 (Russian Sailors Dance/The Red Poppy) and 1996 (La Mer....though I love hearing Michael Cesario stay "their story of the sea" on the PBS broadcast).

I kinda got the communist thing with 1994. And maybe 1996 was SCV's way of washing away all the bad props they had been using the past few years.

I also dont understand Cadets 1997 and 1998.

What exactly was "Year of the Dragon" (1997) about? Where they just doing a show based on British brass bands and wanted to play the part? And Stonehenge (1998)...what exactly was going on in that show? I watched and had no clue which for me was a first because the Cadets had done some pretty great programming for most of the 90s (up until 1997 imo - and I'm even including 1991!).

What exactly was "Year of the Dragon" (1997) about? Where they just doing a show based on British brass bands and wanted to play the part? And Stonehenge (1998)...what exactly was going on in that show? I watched and had no clue which for me was a first because the Cadets had done some pretty great programming for most of the 90s (up until 1997 imo - and I'm even including 1991!).

All I know is that back in the 90s, CBC was doing props in 95 and 96, but then other corps started doing it. They didn't want to do what everyone else kept doing, so they got rid of props for a couple years and went to straight music and playing. They didn't want to do orchestral or band arrangements, so they went to brass band music for something different. Brass band music probably has the greatest range of emotions and technicality that The Cadets could really do. Hence the years of Celebration and Stonehenge.

Personally I really enjoy both shows. It's straight to the point of marching and playing without the need for extras....amps, electronics, narration, props, etc...and they did it really well.

Isn't it possible that someone could just not get it? :lol:

The best job a corps has ever done of story telling is

Spartacus, and even then, if I wasn't familiar with the story from the movie it would just look like

a bunch of Romans killing each other.

Not to mention.......whats the word?? Tacky. Yes, I'll use tacky. I remember at finals, not havng seen Sparticus, the audiance just bustin out at the end and I look at my wife, she at me, with that What did i just miss, look? Nothing, we both got it. We just didnt see it as one of the all time great moments in all of earths musical history, like everyone else did. And we really enjoyed them. It was just, tacky.

Wasn't there also a girl with a big ball in that show? I don't know what that was supposed to be either. Obviously I remain confused.

No. That was either the year before of the year after and I REALLY didn't like that show either. I remember watching is and going 'huh'? I did the same the same thing with Glassmen in 2008 ... and a lot of other years too, for that matter.

Anything that is named in an esoteric manner, makes my go to the dictionary but still leaves me confused, or has no real meaning conveyed through the music and drill. Pretty much 90% of all show titles from Y2k to the present!

:lol::smile::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: