What shows have not made sense to you in dci history?

Lance

Isn't it possible that someone could just not get it? :lol:

Wait, so you're saying could not understand or get a show......? :blink: SHOCKING! I call shenanigans! IT'S A CONSPIRACY! :blink::smile:

You sure they're not just uneducated or have a bias against said corps.....? Cause that would make sooooooo much more sense. (sarcasm off)

Edited by fsubone

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even put that show on my list because it's exceptionally unpopular not to like it. I personally did not like it at all, not so much the anti-war message (which would be difficult to fault) but because of the organization of the show. Didn't like it musically or visually. I generally never say that in public as the folks who like that show are pretty vocal, but didn't want to leave you on an island with your opinion.

Thanks! So.....it was an anti-war show. Were they depicting protests in the show? All I recall is a lot of dissonance and drill that made no sense to me at all. I didn't like the show. I lived thru enough of the "real thing" anti-war stuff, guess I wasn't digging it in a drum corps show. To each his/her own I guess.

The world really has turned upside down when a large segment of an audience expresses it's profound enjoyment and pleasure with a show performance and someone in the audience thinks that a gigantic hand of applause for the performers constitutes being: ( quote) ....." tacky ".

Whew.

Slowly but surely I am beginning to come to the realization that indeed perhaps we are finding a different fan now attending Drum Corps shows. One where it might be seen as gauche to express enjoyment and pleasure with a performance, or to tolerate others who wish to express their heart felt expressions of pleasure and gratitude.

We just may be entering a New Age of fans in Drum Corps.

Things change.

FWIW I've been a drum corps fan since 1990 and I too might classify Phantom's "Spartacus" production as 'tacky' (or IMO closer to "cheesy"). My tastes have have changed over the years, but I'll take Phantom's 91 or 93 show over their 08 show ANY day (and there are DEFINITELY some aspects of at least the 91 show that you can classify as 'tacky' by today's standards :mat: )

Could you elaborate on "tacky"? I find the word defined as follows: "of low quality; in poor taste; gaudy, flashy, showy, garish; dowdy, shabbily dressed; shabby, dowdy" and am curious which description you feel applies to Spartacus?

Cheesy! Thank you, Perc2100

When I see one of the "whats wrong with DCI now" threads I cant help but think thats partally cause whats wrong with DCI now. Spartacus to so many was such a single great moment in time. Not that I could come up with anything more creative by any means.

Thanks! So.....it was an anti-war show. Were they depicting protests in the show? All I recall is a lot of dissonance and drill that made no sense to me at all. I didn't like the show. I lived thru enough of the "real thing" anti-war stuff, guess I wasn't digging it in a drum corps show. To each his/her own I guess.

Well, yes, they were depicting protests in the show. the entire guard book of the "Aquarius" number was carrying signs that said things like "PEACE" (which they yelled; you can hear it on the record) and "NO MORE WAR." Did you not see the 'Ban the Bomb' logo that morphed intoa mushroomcloud? How about the crosses during the number called "Requiem?" It's fine if you didn't dig it, but it sounds to me like you never even saw it. Subtle it was not.

The Suncoast members also marched with MIA tags and performed at The Wall in DC during tour.

Cavaliers should stay away from that, IMO... I got the "adverse side effects" of war part, but not the flat out anti-war shindig... they should be in the business of entertaining, not trying to make political statements. Didn't really like the show design based on what I knew, and now I like it less.

Isn't it possible that someone could just not get it? :mat:

well it had no mirrors :mat:

To be fair, someone seeing it early in the season (when the sword form was still in) might have been asking, "What does a giant vibrator have to do with Spartacus?" :mat:

well, they were gonna, uh, zap em to death :mat:

Could you elaborate on "tacky"? I find the word defined as follows: "of low quality; in poor taste; gaudy, flashy, showy, garish; dowdy, shabbily dressed; shabby, dowdy" and am curious which description you feel applies to Spartacus?

To be blunt, I would classify pretty much their entire visual program under that definition ("of low quality; poor taste' gaudy, flashy, shabbily dressed, shabby" etc)

I appreciate the musical aspect (and I LOVE that percussion section), but that visual show is embarrassing in comparison to other Championship winning shows, IMO. It was _just_ good enough to allow the musical half of the corps to win (and anyone who makes the tired argument that visual is more important than music need only look at 08 Phantom to see that Blue Devils VASTLY superior visual program lost out to Phantom's superior music program), or more appropriately didn't hinder the corps enough to make them lose the title.

I know this is a popular show, and I will not contest the obvious fact that Phantom 2008 = DCI Champion. But I never really liked the show, thought the visual design (and most of the effect) was pandering, cheesy, and even "tacky," and I think that's probably the worst designed show to win DCI in decades. The 'smoke and mirrors' that they resorted to in order to 'hide' or 'make-up for' the bad staging and vis design drove me NUTS all season.

Just my (unpopular) opinion. That all being said my issues with the show are 100% with the design and I give MAD props to the members for performing the crap out of the show and maxing out the music performance at Finals :mat:

Edited by perc2100