What shows have not made sense to you in dci history?

Lance

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that back in the 90s, CBC was doing props in 95 and 96, but then other corps started doing it. They didn't want to do what everyone else kept doing, so they got rid of props for a couple years and went to straight music and playing. They didn't want to do orchestral or band arrangements, so they went to brass band music for something different. Brass band music probably has the greatest range of emotions and technicality that The Cadets could really do. Hence the years of Celebration and Stonehenge.

Personally I really enjoy both shows. It's straight to the point of marching and playing without the need for extras....amps, electronics, narration, props, etc...and they did it really well.

Exactly: Cadets kind of took a different turn and just played good music and marched good drill. There was no story, no overt theme, etc. Just music.

I agree, I like those shows for their simplistic 'idea' and great execution

All I know is that back in the 90s, CBC was doing props in 95 and 96, but then other corps started doing it. They didn't want to do what everyone else kept doing, so they got rid of props for a couple years and went to straight music and playing. They didn't want to do orchestral or band arrangements, so they went to brass band music for something different. Brass band music probably has the greatest range of emotions and technicality that The Cadets could really do. Hence the years of Celebration and Stonehenge.

Personally I really enjoy both shows. It's straight to the point of marching and playing without the need for extras....amps, electronics, narration, props, etc...and they did it really well.

Celebration is a wind ensemble piece...and a fantastic one at that.

Stonehenge is indeed for brass band, and the original piece is pretty fantastic, IMO.

And the theme of the show Celebration was Celebration. The theme of Stonehenge was Stonehenge. Two knock-you-over-the-head with theme shows.

Celebration is a wind ensemble piece...and a fantastic one at that.

Stonehenge is indeed for brass band, and the original piece is pretty fantastic, IMO.

And the theme of the show Celebration was Celebration. The theme of Stonehenge was Stonehenge. Two knock-you-over-the-head with theme shows.

True, the theme was Celebration in 1997. They also played Year of the Dragon which was written by Phillip Sparke. I do believe this was also used as a test piece for brass band.

And the theme of the show Celebration was Celebration. The theme of Stonehenge was Stonehenge. Two knock-you-over-the-head-with-theme shows.

I think an underlying question of this discussion is: what does it mean for a show to have a theme? What is a "theme" of "Stonehenge"? There was a show on PBS last week about Stonehenge: why it was constructed, how it was constructed, and what it has come to mean. How much of that did the Cadets' performance convey? Did they mean to convey any of it?

Not to mention... whats the word? Tacky. Yes, I'll use tacky. I remember at Finals, not having seen Spartacus, the audience just busting out at the end: and I look at my wife, she at me, with that "What did I just miss?" look. Nothing; we both got it. We just didn't see it as one of the all time great moments in all of earth's musical history, like everyone else did. And we really enjoyed them. It was just tacky.

Could you elaborate on "tacky"? I find the word defined as follows: "of low quality; in poor taste; gaudy, flashy, showy, garish; dowdy, shabbily dressed; shabby, dowdy" and am curious which description you feel applies to Spartacus?

No. That was either the year before of the year after and I REALLY didn't like that show either.

You apparently hated it so much you apparated it in time! It was 1988, four years after the Vietnam show. They seemed to in those years-light show (83, 85, 87), and heavier shows in 84, 86, and 88, although I have no idea of their staff planned it that way or not. I didn't like the 88 show so much at first, but it grew on me big time, and we toured together so I saw them a lot.

Not to mention.......whats the word?? Tacky. Yes, I'll use tacky. I remember at finals, not havng seen Sparticus, the audiance just bustin out at the end It was just, tacky.

The world really has turned upside down when a large segment of an audience expresses it's profound enjoyment and pleasure with a show performance and someone in the audience thinks that a gigantic hand of applause for the performers constitutes being: ( quote) ....." tacky ".

Whew.

Slowly but surely I am beginning to come to the realization that indeed perhaps we are finding a different fan now attending Drum Corps shows. One where it might be seen as gauche to express enjoyment and pleasure with a performance, or to tolerate others who wish to express their heart felt expressions of pleasure and gratitude.

We just may be entering a New Age of fans in Drum Corps.

Things change.

Edited by BRASSO

I think an underlying question of this discussion is: what does it mean for a show to have a theme? What is a "theme" of "Stonehenge"? There was a show on PBS last week about Stonehenge: why it was constructed, how it was constructed, and what it has come to mean. How much of that did the Cadets' performance convey? Did they mean to convey any of it?

I always think of theme in drum corps being "What is this show about."

Thinking about it, though, if I had no idea 98 was called "Stonehenge," I probably wouldn't have gotten it.

But 97, yeah, I think i would've gotten the "celebration" idea right away. The corps just looked like they were having fun.

you couldnt grasp Spartacus after one viewing? Finis? Scheherzade?
To be fair, someone seeing it early in the season (when the sword form was still in) might have been asking, "What does a giant vibrator have to do with Spartacus?" :lol: