BOA Grand Nationals

Or have quality in-house instruction. Having grown up and lived for 39 years within three miles of Marian Catholic and being a close friend of their director since the late 1970s, I know they spend MUCH less than the typical BOA band, WAY much less. It doesn't hurt that their director writes all the music and drill. Not every director is as creative or can live on so little sleep, but it is possible. This was the 27th year in a row that the band made Grand National Finals doing things their way...and not to mention that they've won it seven times and have been in the top three more times than any other band. Plus, they're from a region that is very much NOT rich, surrounded by more closed factories than would could believe, and based in a city whose commercial base is essential vacant lots and empty buildings.

I am aware - I am from the Chicagoland area and have close friends who marched at Marian in high school. (Being a Lincoln-Way alum, we saw them repeatedly throughout our season as well.) However, Marian always appears to me the odd duck in BOA Finals. And that quality in-house instruction? That comes at a price. Especially visually Marian is one band that does not look like a drum corps. Normally, I can look at a marching band and, based on posture and horn carriage ALONE (hips aligned and wrists off the horn is all you need), tell who has marched drum corps. Looking at photos of other bands from my friend, a Marian alum, I can't tell. That's a testament to the quality education those bands are getting visually, something Marian has historically lacked. Marching them from field level at ISU is actually somewhat painful. Granted, that's half-way through their season but even still, you can tell the difference.

Marian is located in a less-than-well-to-do area but Marian is not a public school.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two words: Tarpon Springs.

A small band that does amazing things due to good instruction and unbelievably creative thinkers.

THIS!!! I always point Tarpon Springs out as an example. Around 150 members, around 80-90 winds on the field I think, maybe less... The individual level of music/movement demand on TSHS performers equals and even surpasses some DCI world class corps...just sayin.

Also, Ford, Sullivan, and Shapiro IMO this year created the most inventive and imaginative show ever to be put on a football field. Holy cow. As amazing as TSHS performed Paranormal, I would have loved to have seen it executed at the highest level!

:tongue:

THIS!!! I always point Tarpon Springs out as an example. Around 150 members, around 80-90 winds on the field I think, maybe less... The individual level of music/movement demand on TSHS performers equals and even surpasses some DCI world class corps...just sayin.

Also, Ford, Sullivan, and Shapiro IMO this year created the most inventive and imaginative show ever to be put on a football field. Holy cow. As amazing as TSHS performed Paranormal, I would have loved to have seen it executed at the highest level!

I read a post by a Tarpon Springs band mom on another forum that they had about 135 total performers this year (winds/perc/guard etc). In the big scheme of things, that is still larger than the majority of bands around the country. Back when they started coming to BOA Grand Nationals in the late '90s, they were between 80-90 kids or so, but they have grown since then. Paranormal was a cool show. Loved the cliffhanger ending.

Edited by wolfgang

I read a post by a Tarpon Springs band mom on another forum that they had about 135 total performers this year (winds/perc/guard etc). In the big scheme of things, that is still larger than the majority of bands around the country. Back when they started coming to BOA Grand Nationals in the late '90s, they were between 80-90 kids or so, but they have grown since then. Paranormal was a cool show. Loved the cliffhanger ending.

True, but in terms of highly competitive BOA bands, Tarpon is one of the smallest to still compete and win often. Lawrence Central also looked pretty small this year, I loved their Piazolla show a lot.

so I read the posts that Tarpon Springs is small, but still doing well in BOA... but apparently they have 150 people? 150 people is not a small marching band. When people say "small bands can do well at BOA" I am picturing 50 person bands... not bands that are bigger than almost every marching band on the East Coast.

Yup yup yup. I think the total size of the ensemble is about 110-120 and about 65-70 winds. Also, they won the individual visual caption at GNs this year, and if you've seen their show, choreography wise and marching wise, you know that is #### impressive. Hats off to Mr. Ford, Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Shapiro, and Mr. Barfield for putting together one of my favorite BOA shows of all time this year.

150 members? I know many, many high schools in my region that don't even come close to that many members, and are still ###### good, but at a BOA show, they get killed

I completely understand your point, and I agree with you. However, I'm not so sure that the "scorn" has anything to do with the quality of the bands... anyone who cares knows that they are great. The issue for some is why there has to be this melding of the two activities to the point of no distinguishing factors that separate the two. Why can't there be great bands and great drum corps, both offering unique qualities among clearly distinguishable differences in makeup within the musical ensembles?

Amen. People tried to tell Hopkins and Co about this but this is what they want. So now you can have Vanilla and Vanilla light.

150 members? I know many, many high schools in my region that don't even come close to that many members, and are still ###### good, but at a BOA show, they get killed

My daughter marches in a band of about 120, and they have defeated much larger BOA bands. Size is not ALWAYS important ! (you might search on that site that shall remain nameless for TWCB, or Carmen)