Most Famous Show Ever?

After I thought about this question, I decided that each "great" show was unique. Every year, since 1971 for me, I have seen a show that stands out. Every year you can pick one, or more than one, corps and say "that was the most famous show ever!"

1972 US Open I saw a ton of corps and thought all of them in Open class finals were the best.

1972 US Open I saw a ton of corps and thought all of them in Open class finals were the best.

That remains one of the greatest nights in my drum corps memories!

The outrageous crowd going wild over the Bridgemen hornlne....somebody lighting off a cherry bomb under the bleachers in the middle of Garfield's show....

the stadium lights going out in the middle of the show, and the crowd reaction when they came back on for Des Plaines....the ignited atmosphere when Anaheim played

"Ritual Fire Dance".....

I'm so glad my brother lived just three blocks from the stadium!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

72 Kingsmen

73 Vanguard

74 Kingsmen

75 Muchachos

76 BD & Bridgemen & Freelancers

77 Regiment (100% new show, generally unheard of at that time)

78 Bridgemen

79 2-7 & Regiment (again about 90-95% new show)

80 2-7

81 Regiment

83 Cadets

84 Cadets

85 Regiment (totally under rated)

87 Cadets, SCV, Regiment

88 BD (their best ever)

89 Cadets, Regiment (Yes, I'm a "homer")

Think I'll stop now

• Like 1

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 1970, National Dream...

1970 World Open as well ... the

is up on YouTube ... they won the prelims ... their last "hoo rah" so to speak ... Edited by ajlisko

1970 World Open as well ... the

is up on YouTube ... they won the prelims ... their last "hoo rah" so to speak ...

I tend to agree with you, AJ. BSGK at the World Open in 1970 remains as one on the top five performances I've ever seen. In fact, all the corps in that show gave wonderful performances. My memory of BSGKs show includes the sight of Tru Crawford, judging Field Bugles that night, standing for quite a while staring at his score sheet while the runner waited patiently to take it from him. There had to have been very little on it. Finally he just shook his head and scaled the clipboard over to the sideline.

My others in my top five are: Royal Aires 1965 at the CYO Nationals, Phantom Regiment at the DCI Prelims in Miami in 1993, 27L at the World open in 1971, and Blue Devils at the DCI in 1988.

Interestingly, only two of the five actually won the shows on those occasions. Must be me, huh?

Edited by reallyoldfrt
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Garfield Cadets 1983.

I'm partial to BD 1976....see my post in the cassette recording thread.

Actually that would be my favorite show. However, I think most famous will be Phantom 08. I mean, the crowd roar, the .025 - moves it to legendary David & Goliath status, yes?

Edited by c mor