Phantom Regiment 2011

the holdridge is beautiful. my goodness.

the blend of confutatis from the mozart with the holdridge...just wonderful writing. wow.

I agree - OUTSTANDING integration from top to bottom.

However, I must say that on first listen, I thought the Holdridge and Rota tunes were a bit sappy, especially the Rota. I'd prefer even a well-trodden Tchaikovsky R&J snippet to the Rota.

I'll have another listen...

• Like 1

Is there a link or anywhere to view/listen to a recording of the performance? If so, I would appreciate it very much to be *cough* privy to it. :)

EDIT:

Found something I can watch, nevermind!

@jj Yes, I am fully aware of the fight against links of material on DCP, I just didn't know if there was some obvious site I was overlooking in my, in hindsight, pathetic initial search for some audio!

Edited by Measton

Battery is aggressive, certainly. Looks like a smooth transition of power in the percussion has played out.

Maybe it's the acoustics of the shell, but I'm certainly not liking the sound of the battery tuning as much as Rennick's lines. Snares here seem very thin sounding, little body to their sound, and tenors are not projecting very well. Hope it's a function of the shell and the recording device.

Is there a link or anywhere to view/listen to a recording of the performance? If so, I would appreciate it very much to be *cough* privy to it. :)

That would go against DCP policy... I'm sure it will be taken off of youtube soon, so I don't know if you would want to bother searching for it there. smile.gif

• Like 1

Battery is aggressive, certainly. Looks like a smooth transition of power in the percussion has played out.

Maybe it's the acoustics of the shell, but I'm certainly not liking the sound of the battery tuning as much as Rennick's lines. Snares here seem very thin sounding, little body to their sound, and tenors are not projecting very well. Hope it's a function of the shell and the recording device.

They're definitely tuned tighter. Rennick's lines always rang too much and were too open.

• Like 1

I think it's a real drumset , anyhow, I wouldn't be too upset if they took it out....

I might dare say that.... I...... prefer..... this....... battery writing........ to...... rennicks!

I will wait until later in the season to make such a bold statement....

Sounds pretty electronic to me. And i saw a marimba player hit a drum pad with a marimba mallet. He was playing one of the offbeat patterns in the drum kit section.

Just watched the video. The hornlike sounds amazing as usual! There are some really beautiful moments in there. I love how they end with Elsa's. Thats gonna be great.

I do have to admit though, I kind of miss rennick'd music with that hornline, especially in Elsa's. I looooooove Paul's percussion arrangement for that piece. It complimented the hornline so well.

There are some decent moments in the percussion throughout the rest of the show. At some points though, it could've been the venue/recording angle, but the pit was totally drowned out. I could barely hear them. The only time you really hear them is in their feature. Hopefully that stuff gets worked out so that they have a balanced sound, front to back.