Incentives for corps experience

FTNK

Listen man, I came from senior corps. I wanted to march a Santa Clara, I didn't really like the Cadets but I LOVE SCV. I didn't have the money to march AND travel to Cali. I almost didn't audition at the Cadets because I didn't think I would make it and because like I said it wasn't my first choice.

So you do the math, I came from another corps, wanted to march and figured I would do the Cadets because they were world class and local. I wouldn't trade that decision for the world.

Why are you trying to catch me saying "wrong things" just to show support for your own controversy? I think you should just take the incentive program at face value, maybe for kids who were like me.

What people on this forum tend to lose sight of is that these kids bust their ##### all summer and do the best job they can. And then they come home and have to read an entire summer of your negativity. I marched 04-05 and experienced that hardcore. It doesn't make you want to march again when you come and read stuff like this. So for those of us who are in the know it feels like people like you just continually try to ruin our experience because you don't like amps or aren't entertained enough.

You're like the person who tries to talk about what's wrong the military to people who have and want to serve. It's sad that you can't just see how much good there is in the organization through your own clouded vision.

Just stop. Seriously, please.

Only in this case, many who are saying these things ARE "vets." Those who aren't, like Hrothy, are often involved but it's easier to dismiss their statements entirely. Harder to dismiss someone who has stood on both sides of the arc, so to speak.

Why are you trying to catch me saying "wrong things" just to show support for your own controversy? I think you should just take the incentive program at face value, maybe for kids who were like me.

No need to get all defensive. I asked a simple question....but am still awaiting a simple answer.

What people on this forum tend to lose sight of is that these kids bust their ##### all summer and do the best job they can. And then they come home and have to read an entire summer of your negativity.

My negativity? You have no idea who I am, do you?

I marched 04-05 and experienced that hardcore. It doesn't make you want to march again when you come and read stuff like this. So for those of us who are in the know it feels like people like you just continually try to ruin our experience because you don't like amps or aren't entertained enough.

You're like the person who tries to talk about what's wrong the military to people who have and want to serve. It's sad that you can't just see how much good there is in the organization through your own clouded vision.

Just stop. Seriously, please.

Once again, I ASKED A QUESTION. I knew I'd probably get flamed for it, but I have thick skin....and I wanted an answer to the question. Still haven't gotten one that makes sense.

If you can drop the personal remarks, and get back to the topic, I'd like to hear you (or anyone) explain the rationale behind this particular incentive offer.

Its December, and if you haven't already "taken a proactive interest" in drum corps by now then you're not doing it in 2011!

That's not accurate. When I marched, I couldn't make the first camp at the corps of my choice because of a project at school that I had to work on over the weekend.

I wonder how well this will work for the Cadets.

Many corps offer tuition discounts between $100-$200 off of returning vets tour fees. Why would they go to a cadet camp, and get a discount of $25 when they still have to pay full tuition when they could go back to the corps they previously marched and pay the full audition fee, but get a far bigger discount off their tuition?

well, if I were in charge, my thinking would be "they could come here, like what they see and hear better and decide to stay". Regardless of if they make the final cut or not, they'll feel they have a shot at being in the cadets and stick around for a while.

Then if they don't make it, well hey their old corps may still have spots or may not.

Many corps offer tuition discounts between $100-$200 off of returning vets tour fees. Why would they go to a cadet camp, and get a discount of $25 when they still have to pay full tuition when they could go back to the corps they previously marched and pay the full audition fee, but get a far bigger discount off their tuition?

Some corps format and market some of their camps as educational experiences, and offer that education to additional kids beyond just the 150 they intend to put on the competition field. For those corps, this is another way of making money....and growing a bigger crop of potential auditionees for future years. I know the Cadets have done rehearsal/clinics in the summer....don't know if they ever do this at December camp....but you can see how someone might possibly attend a Cadets camp for the educational aspect alone.

Didn't even think of that one!

after reading this, this comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwYkvaRg1vw

it symbolizes how this thread is going...

i enjoy reading the "old" people raging about an "incentive" that in no way influences them. let the people who this involves, the people auditioning, be the decider of how well this "scheme"/"diabolical plot to rule the world"/"stealing your members"/"shenanigans" plays out by either showing up or not showing up

oops, i forgot i'm old now. i guess i have a lot to look forward to huh? :thumbup:

I must be missing something. I just thought it was a gesture of good will, recognizing that students might audition at multiple places, to encourage such behavior, and cut costs for the student.

Cadets get a benefit by knowing said students have been through "a similar process" already. That knowledge is huge.

Oh well, as much as I'd like to, I can't hate on Cadets this time, lol. I'm more stunned by the strange theories put forth in this thread.

With overall expeditures in mind I doubt a kid would go from one corps to another just to save 25 bucks.