Incentives for corps experience

FTNK

I think Cadets would have been better off not providing ANY type of discount so many of you people could shut up.
personally..offering a discount to me is fine...if you do it for all.

why? because if you target said discount to just people that auditioned elsewhere, it DOES come off to people as poaching as it were. "hey Surf kids, we know you auditioned there, but hey, come here for $25 less." or Raiders. or whoever.

Because what can and has happened ( not just at Cadets) is kids go there, like it, may hang on for a while til serious cutting is done, and then boom, too late to go back to other corps, fried mentally and not wanting to go elsewhere, or ###### they didnt make the corps and wont even look at another corps.

Look, I'm not advocating socialized drum corps, with recruiting rules like NCAA or anything like that ( and hell, those rules are a joke). But face it, just saying it 's targeted to any group of potentials other than ALL potentials can and has looked bad to others out there.

Curious, how much does standard tuition cost for the summer look like for a cadets member?

it's probably something like $100 for each winter camp (nov, dec, jan... later camp fees probably rolled into the summer cost). A $150 audition fee for prospective new members. Then the mid $2000s for the summer, plus a $400 fee for spring training.

Edited by soccerguy315

personally..offering a discount to me is fine...if you do it for all.

why? because if you target said discount to just people that auditioned elsewhere, it DOES come off to people as poaching as it were. "hey Surf kids, we know you auditioned there, but hey, come here for $25 less." or Raiders. or whoever.

Because what can and has happened ( not just at Cadets) is kids go there, like it, may hang on for a while til serious cutting is done, and then boom, too late to go back to other corps, fried mentally and not wanting to go elsewhere, or ###### they didnt make the corps and wont even look at another corps.

Look, I'm not advocating socialized drum corps, with recruiting rules like NCAA or anything like that ( and hell, those rules are a joke). But face it, just saying it 's targeted to any group of potentials other than ALL potentials can and has looked bad to others out there.

The group they are targetting are people that have taken proactive interest in drum corps in the past by either: a. auditioned for a corps in 2011 or b. marched prior 2010.

It isn't targeting "new" faces to drum corps.. because golly, they ALREADY used incentive programs to get those group of people in the door in November!

Its December, and if you haven't already "taken a proactive interest" in drum corps by now then you're not doing it in 2011! So, why would the Cadets target any other demographic at this point!?

So, bottom line, Everyone had their own incentive program, just not all at the same time! :P

Edited by charlie1223

ok, so why not do that in November?

"hey kids, I know you went somewhere last month, hey check us out now".

same idea.

look, they can do what they want, but face it, the marketing can look to people in ways that are not favorable.

The group they are targetting are people that have taken proactive interest in drum corps in the past by either: a. auditioned for a corps in 2011 or b. marched prior 2010.

It isn't targeting "new" faces to drum corps.. because golly, they ALREADY used incentive programs to get those group of people in the door in November!

Its December, and if you haven't already "taken a proactive interest" in drum corps by now then you're not doing it in 2011! So, why would the Cadets target any other demographic at this point!?

So, bottom line, Everyone had their own incentive program, just not all at the same time! :P

ok, so why not do that in November?

"hey kids, I know you went somewhere last month, hey check us out now".

same idea.

look, they can do what they want, but face it, the marketing can look to people in ways that are not favorable.

It looks unfavorable to people who probably don't understand the full story I'm sure.

Also, November is usually the first camp so noone has gone to another camp before that.

Edited by charlie1223

It looks unfavorable to people who probably don't understand the full story I'm sure.

then blame the marketing for not giving more scoop. When you have a corps that people will look to blame anything nefarious on, the more upfront and honest they are in the pr and marketing, the more those perceptions can slowly change.

or, you can make jokes about an employee leaving for youthful love when in reality they left because a family member overseas was dying.

see my point? it's all in how the message is delivered.

then blame the marketing for not giving more scoop. When you have a corps that people will look to blame anything nefarious on, the more upfront and honest they are in the pr and marketing, the more those perceptions can slowly change.

or, you can make jokes about an employee leaving for youthful love when in reality they left because a family member overseas was dying.

I see what you mean. Its always important to be very clear, especially when you're trying to be concise. but sometimes people "look" for things to bag on... especially with cadets, and nothing can really change that! :P

Yeah right. Perceptions will NEVER change when it comes to the top corps. They could go out and donate all their money to the American Cancer Society and people would still find something wrong with that. There is NO one to blame for anything. Just because the cynics on this forum chose to look at this deal as some sort of ulterior motive on the part of Cadets, doesn't mean that is so. Some people may think it's a bad idea, some may not. Some kids may take advantage of it, some may not. If you think it's a bad idea, don't take part in it.

With all the negativity you guys bring you could be stopping the next Jeff Sacktig or Tom Aungst or April Gilligan or Emma Roberts or cast member of Blast or band director at BOA national championship band from marching the Cadets because they can't afford to travel to any other corps.

Evidently, if the person already traveled to another corps' audition camp, that disproves your last phrase there.

I agree. and trust me, at first glance, my mind went for the sinister reasons.

I understand the logic behind it, makes perfect sense. it just should have been marketed better

I see what you mean. Its always important to be very clear, especially when you're trying to be concise. but sometimes people "look" for things to bag on... especially with cadets, and nothing can really change that! :P