Incentives for corps experience

FTNK

Yeah right. Perceptions will NEVER change when it comes to the top corps. They could go out and donate all their money to the American Cancer Society and people would still find something wrong with that. There is NO one to blame for anything. Just because the cynics on this forum chose to look at this deal as some sort of ulterior motive on the part of Cadets, doesn't mean that is so. Some people may think it's a bad idea, some may not. Some kids may take advantage of it, some may not. If you think it's a bad idea, don't take part in it.

I think Jeff aged out a LONGGGGG time ago...

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

Yeah right. Perceptions will NEVER change when it comes to the top corps. They could go out and donate all their money to the American Cancer Society and people would still find something wrong with that. There is NO one to blame for anything. Just because the cynics on this forum chose to look at this deal as some sort of ulterior motive on the part of Cadets, doesn't mean that is so. Some people may think it's a bad idea, some may not. Some kids may take advantage of it, some may not. If you think it's a bad idea, don't take part in it.

to some you're right, perceptions won't change. To others, they will. I know mine have over the years. Again, as stated before, at first glance, yeah my mind went to the many bad reasons listed here. Again, I see the logic behind it from their POV...get some people with a little experience. I also see, how say Raiders or Surf may ( or may not) view it.

oh and I'm 41, so I'm not allowed to take part :thumbup:

It looks unfavorable to people who probably don't understand the full story I'm sure.

Also, November is usually the first camp so noone has gone to another camp before that.

My plan was to go to the Madison Scouts (Nov 19-21) and then to Regiment (Thanksgiving weekend) - ended up just going to the first weekend.

It's feasible.

And why is that NOT okay? How is that distastefull in ANY way?! Kids have minds and they get to decide what corps to audtion for and whether or not they would like to march cadets. Yes, this does blatantly "target" other corps' auditionees but that's their demographic!!!! That's what every corps tries to appeal to!!!! They don't want people who have never done drum corps... they want people who have experience!!

Seems that no one understood me the first time I pointed this out, so let me try again.

If they were looking for experienced drum corps people, they would invite drum corps veterans....not auditionees who haven't marched yet.

If they were looking for experienced marchers (corps or band), they would invite veterans of corps or band.

But that's not what they did. They targeted the members and auditionees of other corps....and no one else.

This is particularly ironic, considering all we've heard about how valuable marching band experience is. We are told that the HS marching band activity has replaced the local/regional drum corps as the training ground for kids aspiring to march top corps. We hear that drum corps must align more closely with the marching band activity. The Cadets' own parent organization runs a marching band circuit, and their staff teach marching band kids all year round. Of all the corps programs on Earth, the Cadets are the one that would most deeply understand the value of marching band experience in preparation for corps. So what possible logic could explain why the Cadets are now suddenly extending a special invitation only to members/auditionees of other corps, and not experienced marching band kids who have honed their skills in YEA!'s own band circuit or elsewhere?

to some you're right, perceptions won't change. To others, they will. I know mine have over the years. Again, as stated before, at first glance, yeah my mind went to the many bad reasons listed here. Again, I see the logic behind it from their POV...get some people with a little experience. I also see, how say Raiders or Surf may ( or may not) view it.

oh and I'm 41, so I'm not allowed to take part :thumbup:

You = in general, not YOU specifically. Did I really need to clear that up? :thumbup:

Seems that no one understood me the first time I pointed this out, so let me try again.

If they were looking for experienced drum corps people, they would invite drum corps veterans....not auditionees who haven't marched yet.

If they were looking for experienced marchers (corps or band), they would invite veterans of corps or band.

But that's not what they did. They targeted the members and auditionees of other corps....and no one else.

This is particularly ironic, considering all we've heard about how valuable marching band experience is. We are told that the HS marching band activity has replaced the local/regional drum corps as the training ground for kids aspiring to march top corps. We hear that drum corps must align more closely with the marching band activity. The Cadets' own parent organization runs a marching band circuit, and their staff teach marching band kids all year round. Of all the corps programs on Earth, the Cadets are the one that would most deeply understand the value of marching band experience in preparation for corps. So what possible logic could explain why the Cadets are now suddenly extending a special invitation only to members/auditionees of other corps, and not experienced marching band kids who have honed their skills in YEA!'s own band circuit or el sewhere?

Why do you INSIST on finding some fault with this!? You are literally grasping at straw to find a way to bag on the Cadets. I mean, its embarassing. You back tracked on your original post after finding new data (ah! you realized that it was an incentive for both members and auditionees) and then you try to manufacture some other reason why the Cadets are "excluding people" and trying to cast the Cadets in some poor light. It's not right.

No one takes you seriously. Please stop now.

Edited by charlie1223

oh I knew, that's why I only mentioned me briefly.

but, lets face it, for better or worse, Cadets have created/allowed an environment where people will automatically think the worst. so why not take the steps to change that?

You = in general, not YOU specifically. Did I really need to clear that up? :thumbup:

actually, given his ties and background and knowledge, many take him seriously.

Why do you INSIST on finding some fault with this!? You are literally grasping at straw to find a way to bag on the Cadets. I mean, its embarassing. You back tracked on your original post after finding new data (ah! you realized that it was an incentive for both members and auditionees) and then you try to manufacture some other reason why the Cadets are "excluding people" and trying to cast the Cadets in some poor light. It's not right.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I did not "backtrack". And I have not manufactured a reason....quite the opposite. I am asking what their reason could be. Do you care to answer, or are you locked into "shoot the messenger" mode now?