The Return of Ludwig-Musser

Hooray!

Mike

I've never played one of those but I thought they sounded fine when Magic and Southwind used them a few years back. Exactly what were the issues with that snare?

• Like 1

Ludwig timps are the best. At least at the drum corps level. Yamahas are good, but nothing really is as good as the Ludwig sound with a clear head.

Al has some experience with the Ludwig field drums when he was at Empire during the nineties. I can remember him taking the drums apart and trying to leave the shells off etc to get a better sound. He kept experimenting long enough to achieve the high drum score that year in DCA competition. Good luck my friend, I am sure that you will succeed at this new appointment.

Donny

Ludwig timps are the best. At least at the drum corps level. Yamahas are good, but nothing really is as good as the Ludwig sound with a clear head.

Gotta disagree with you here my timpani playing friend. Nothing wrong with Ludwig timpani, but, to say they are the best... eh... not buying it.

Al did the R&D of the new generation drums when he got to Dynasty. He didn't just do sales. He used to send me design concepts, and it was exciting seeing something new coming down the pipe...and even more exciting to see it before anyone else did, outside of the Dynasty family.

Trust me, Al already has some design ideas in mind. And I'm betting you have seen the end of the line for the "USA" snare drum.

Garry in Vegas

aha...Al never said that to me. thanks!

no disrespect to Al, who i love dearly, but he isn't R&D. I'd love to see him be the guy to lead the charge, but the R&D guys need to create the product to sell. Al could sell ice to eskimos. I'm a career sales guy and I bow to Al's sales abilities.

Look at what he did for Dynasty before the product started to suck and the heads of the company put their heads up their #####.

but when Dynasty took off with Al leading the charge, it was because of the R&D guys.

What Al needs to do, if allowed, is to get some names in marching percussion to go and play with R&D to tinker

I mark down today's date as a time you and I are in agreement. Wow, who woulda thunk it.

It comes down to this basic fact. Sales and marketing DOES NOT drive this market. It is intensely high ticket and so R&D is what matters. Anyone think I'm kidding? Check Jupiter's rise in the band market...from being the low end crap horns to now chomping market share away from Yamaha in brass instruments. Why? Sales and marketing? It was the products they got to deliver and their Quantum line has the goods. The Gen3 horns Blue Stars are getting are creamy.

Tom - in drum terms, where the major lines are virtually even as far as quality (and for that matter, retail pricing), the relationships and marketing involved go a *long* way towards product penetration. May not be so much the case in brass, I don't know.

Mike

I mark down today's date as a time you and I are in agreement. Wow, who woulda thunk it.

It comes down to this basic fact. Sales and marketing DOES NOT drive this market. It is intensely high ticket and so R&D is what matters. Anyone think I'm kidding? Check Jupiter's rise in the band market...from being the low end crap horns to now chomping market share away from Yamaha in brass instruments. Why? Sales and marketing? It was the products they got to deliver and their Quantum line has the goods. The Gen3 horns Blue Stars are getting are creamy.

I'm pretty sure switching to Jupiter was motivated by financial reasons first, anything else second...That's marketing...