The Return of Ludwig-Musser

You're correct. Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty and Mapex are the Big Four. Ludwig is stuck as a niche line right now, Slingerland is long gone, and Premier is mostly gone. (Though in the UK, they have... er, had... a dominant share due to pipe band sales.) And Mapex is kind of a distant fourth as far as numbers go, mainly because the others have been selling for many more years.

Mike

Mapex may have less groups in DCI using them, but they have more World Class groups now than Dynasty does, so that fourth place isn't quite so distant anymore.

Dynasty completely owns the WGI market though.

Mapex may have less groups in DCI using them, but they have more World Class groups now than Dynasty does, so that fourth place isn't quite so distant anymore.

Yeah, Dynasty's choked-off, deadened sound lends itself well to WGI/drums-in-a-gym. :ph34r:

True. In DCI they're doing great getting their brand out there, but they're still in the initial push, I think, into the HS market.

Mike

Sorry to slightly OT the thread, but speaking of companies entering or reentering the marketplace, here's a pic of Tama's marching snare (here with Ayala HS) -

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs994.snc4/76738_1687652709402_1180200222_3631352_5593160_n.jpg

Mike

I heard Tama was looking into the marching percussion gig but I had no idea they actually had drums out there now. There's nothing on their website about marching percussion. Anyone in the know here?

Sorry to slightly OT the thread, but speaking of companies entering or reentering the marketplace, here's a pic of Tama's marching snare (here with Ayala HS) -

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs994.snc4/76738_1687652709402_1180200222_3631352_5593160_n.jpg

Mike

So, anyone here think that some corps may switch to TAMA?

So, anyone here think that some corps may switch to TAMA?

My money would be on VK since Tom Float is supposedly behind the TAMA marching percussion.

We sure that's not a photoshop?

me lubs my ludwig...this is after I painted the struts and the top and bottom rim shotpeen gunmetal, because the white struts and rims were icky looking...

postpaintrz3.jpg