Cesario steps up as DCI's Artistic Director

It seems to me like they're taking everything into consideration except the paying customer.

AWESOME! Seems to me this about letting the person who knows the most about every aspect of drum corps and who has a passion for keeping the activity alive do something to make everything better for the audience. I am surprised some think he came off like wanting to ignore the audience. Came across to me he wants to thrill the audience with every group, and allow drum corps to be different and not the cookie cutter approach we have now due to bad judging and this mentality of win or suck. Go Michael Cesario. Kick some ###!

The fact that you have a strong emotional connection to a song doesn't make it a great song. It makes it a great song for you. I may hate that song. That's where the whole "entertainment/emotion" thing gets tricky. Personal example: I hate company fronts. I'm bored to tears because they're all the same and you know before it starts what it's going to be. Yet I watch stadiums full of people stand up and cheer for them every year. Am I wrong because I don't agree with the masses? No. I'm just "entertained" by different things.

All true. But the Drum Corps activity will not long survive if there is only you and your dog in the stands to watch the shows. The activity needs those " stadiums full of people standing up and cheering" things on the field that most people like but that you and your dog and maybe a few other people don't like. That's the conundrum the activity has been facing of late. The Corps are getting better, but too many in the stands have a reaction of too much meh than is advisable to make the activity financially solvent in the future.

Edited by BRASSO

All true. But the Drum Corps activity will not long survive if there is only you and your dog in the stands to watch the shows. The activity needs those " stadiums full of people standing up and cheering" things on the field that most people like but that you and your dog and maybe a few other people don't like. That's the conundrum the activity has been facing of late. The Corps are getting better, but too many in the stands have a reaction of too much meh than is advisable to make the activity financially solvent in the future.

I'm not suggesting that the activity should cater to my personal taste. (My dog has no interest in drum corps, BTW.) My point is that there is no consensus of opinion about what is entertaining. And as soon as someone tries to define it, all corps will start doing it and we'll end up with more shows that look and sound the same as one another.

I think it's fairly easy to understand that Cesario wants variety in repertoire and performance by advocating corps to remain true to their identities without judges foisting their personal bias of what they concieve is a quality drum corps show. This will lend to more parity from top to bottom.

I can tell you 1st hand the WGI system is just as flawed and has had just as many complaints on the effect side. A consistancy of sheets across the board doesnt mean people will fully understand or follow them. I've sat in that hot seat at local as well as regional shows and it isnt with flaw and controversery on the same question.....What is entertaining. As far as guards there are many that rip the stands apart and dont come close to a finals spot.

maybe it all comes down to human nature and ANY judged activit, it will always be misunderstood, will always have people who think they know what it all means, will always have parents and fans who believe the answer lies with them and will always have the outcomes we see. Oh well, such is life.

well maybe on the guard side that may be true. on the percussion side, since I really started following it 3 years ago, I see little in the results I disagree with.

I think it's fairly easy to understand that Cesario wants variety in repertoire and performance by advocating corps to remain true to their identities without judges foisting their personal bias of what they concieve is a quality drum corps show. This will lend to more parity from top to bottom.

i especially like how he mentioned variety in programming. less cookie cutter shows

well maybe on the guard side that may be true. on the percussion side, since I really started following it 3 years ago, I see little in the results I disagree with.

well percussion is a demonic world of its own.... :tongue: lol....hmmm seconed thought there might be more demons in the guard activity :devil: ....It is funny though alot of the same visual people are like 2 dollar hookers...out on every corner.................... :w00t: ok to some degree Im in that pool..judging :blink:

i especially like how he mentioned variety in programming. less cookie cutter shows

talk is good now lets see if its rewarded.....there has always been talk of individuality and then not rewarded....The comfort zone( even with judges ) seems to go back to same ole same ole.....Unless it's BD of course..lol :tongue:

well percussion is a demonic world of its own.... :tongue: lol....hmmm seconed thought there might be more demons in the guard activity :devil: ....It is funny though alot of the same visual people are like 2 dollar hookers...out on every corner.................... :w00t: ok to some degree Im in that pool..judging :blink:

:ph34r:

:tongue: