Cesario steps up as DCI's Artistic Director

If a criteria is set for effect and followed and understood....which it usually isn't,, then it can be measurable.....entertainment I don't believe can be measured . Many people would consider DCA still entertaining.. I may not, HOW will you measure entertainment by a standing O? if thats the case that totally doesnt mean the better corps will win thats for sure. JMO

DCI judging last year had one caption judge place in a show placing a Corps 3rd, another judge in the same caption placed the Corps 9th. So here we had 2 judges looking at the same thing, but had completely different evaluations from one another. This is not all that uncommon either. Yes, fans disagree on shows. But so don't judges too as we see all the time. So adding an " entertainment caption " in my view would be no less subjective , nor difficult than other current captions like for example " Visual General Effect ". The question is, do we want the shows to be more entertaining for most fans or not ? Do we want to grow the fan base, or not ?

If we're happy with the staus quo regarding the size of the fan base, the show entertainment levels, then lets not change a thing. That would work. We can be assured of little to no growth if that is the goal. We can stay on the same path if that's what people desire. Mason however has made a good proposal for the future, imo. But if people don't support it, well then they don't.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree, but it would be a challenge to retrain this group of DCI GE judges to actually judge the sheets the way you're intending. They have developed their own unique language and way of assessing things. I think they've practiced at it to develop consistency. I doubt they even see any kind of divergence between what's on the sheets and their scores, or what's on the sheets and the way other people see GE. I think they've had their "fan perspective" trained out of them. You'd have to drill them a lot as a group watching recordings of old shows to work it back in and get them thinking not just Gosh, that's hard to do, or Gosh, that's impressive, or Gosh, that's original, but instead to score in part what others would like GE to be evaluated as, which is Gosh, that really makes me feel a strong emotion rather than crashing boredom. Then the challenge is to train them to be able to score it somewhat reliably and consistently as a group. Not impossible... but a challenge.

a challenge? it should be laid out for them from day 1. WGI has a percussion and guard guide on how to handle the sheets. Every judge gets one, and most local circuits use the WGI system and also hand it out. It spells it out for you that any judge, with any kind of experience and brain should be able to follow and apply. Hell many DCI folks do DCA too, sometimes in the same show and make the switch effortlessly...and trust me, even before this year the DCI sheets were different.

in fact, I hope Cesario gives them the speech he gave at the NJA clinic a few years ago, because where I see him going in his words in part 1 says to me it's a mirror of that presentation.

And...you have caption heads. Double tape/mp3 then. Make the caption heads listen to what their people say and give feedback. it's called education. if local circuits can do it, DCI can too

Hint: for everything that's "entertaining" to people, there is a precise reason why, usually common among the entertained. It's not some sort of ethereal magic.

Send DCI your resume. Nao.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=2c49d9a5-1618-4726-8b2a-b530632ae82c

There will be "3 Visual judge liaisons and 3 music judge liaisons" who will be "out on the field, actually judging" but will be readily available to other judges to have constant discussions

I would like to suggest another six positions called Assistant Judge Liaison Pro Tempore, which I believe I am uniquely qualified to fill. References available upon request.

DCI judging last year had one caption judge place in a show placing a Corps 3rd, another judge in the same caption placed the Corps 9th. So here we had 2 judges looking at the same thing, but had completely different evaluations from one another. This is not all that uncommon either. Yes, fans disagree on shows. But so don't judges too as we see all the time. So adding an " entertainment caption " in my view would be no less subjective , nor difficult than other current captions like for example " Visual General Effect ". The question is, do we want the shows to be more entertaining for most fans or not ? Do we want to grow the fan base, or not ?

If we're happy with the staus quo regarding the size of the fan base, the show entertainment levels, then lets not change a thing. That would work. We can be assured of little to no growth if that is the goal. We can stay on the same path if that's what people desire. Mason however has made a good proposal for the future, imo. But if people don't support it, well then they don't.

So I will ask again " Who desides what entertainment is" If you add the caption of entertainment or a person who determines this I want to hear when this person desides that loud, toe tapping, company front ,zpulls, spinning guards are just emotional bias reactions and not REAL entertainment.

Youre right about 1 thing it probably wont be any worse than what it is but I believe it wont solve anything just add to yet another controversery of whos opinion matters and what were they thinkings.

Maybe it should be added, to see it all unfold would be entertaining..lol

a challenge? it should be laid out for them from day 1. WGI has a percussion and guard guide on how to handle the sheets. Every judge gets one, and most local circuits use the WGI system and also hand it out. It spells it out for you that any judge, with any kind of experience and brain should be able to follow and apply. Hell many DCI folks do DCA too, sometimes in the same show and make the switch effortlessly...and trust me, even before this year the DCI sheets were different.

in fact, I hope Cesario gives them the speech he gave at the NJA clinic a few years ago, because where I see him going in his words in part 1 says to me it's a mirror of that presentation.

And...you have caption heads. Double tape/mp3 then. Make the caption heads listen to what their people say and give feedback. it's called education. if local circuits can do it, DCI can too

I can tell you 1st hand the WGI system is just as flawed and has had just as many complaints on the effect side. A consistancy of sheets across the board doesnt mean people will fully understand or follow them. I've sat in that hot seat at local as well as regional shows and it isnt with flaw and controversery on the same question.....What is entertaining. As far as guards there are many that rip the stands apart and dont come close to a finals spot.

maybe it all comes down to human nature and ANY judged activit, it will always be misunderstood, will always have people who think they know what it all means, will always have parents and fans who believe the answer lies with them and will always have the outcomes we see. Oh well, such is life.