Cesario steps up as DCI's Artistic Director

Well, I assume that we all start with the fundamental premise that ALL of judging is " subjective ". The judges afterall are all judging completely dissimilar shows and performances. So I see no real difference from adding a " Entertainment Judge " to a grouping that includes for example a current " Visual General Effect " judge.

If a criteria is set for effect and followed and understood....which it usually isn't,, then it can be measurable.....entertainment I don't believe can be measured . Many people would consider DCA still entertaining.. I may not, HOW will you measure entertainment by a standing O? if thats the case that totally doesnt mean the better corps will win thats for sure. JMO

To me this just sounds like more subjectivity added to an already subjective judging process. Entertainment judge? Based on what, their opinion? Their assessment of crowd reaction? I like the idea of Cesario's "meetings" with "liasons" even less. This smacks of "this is how I would have judged that, you're not doing it right..." etc...

To me this just sounds like more subjectivity added to an already subjective judging process. Entertainment judge? Based on what, their opinion? Their assessment of crowd reaction?

Someone just needs to formulate a list of what musical and visual elements of a drum corps show are entertaining, why they are entertaining (down to the mathematical level), and then judge how well corps use them, while normalizing for the distribution of audience taste. Not that hard.

There was something Lewis Black said once, that made me think, "spot on" when I heard it: We know its good music when we are sitting in a bar and that song comes on. We say to ourself "S.O.B..I remember I was there when...?!".

Its a difficult task to judge a crowds meter...and Cesario has a tough task in this position. I do think its a needed position. But finding that bridge between emotional connections and memories (like the guy in the bar)- with what the corps want with progression in music. How to appease all parties?

The hardest thing for him I think, is the need to make some bottom line decisions and, in his own right creating a standard in his remarks. Its a complex world he is working in Almost like trying to be a campaign manager for a president. You have to delve into the thinking of various groups of people, and figure it out. If he can manage that, and make sense of it all to the rest of us- then win.

Oh..and he should bring in Mark Sylvester. Give him an assistant position. I believe this will help.

Edited by Dmlkmen

Does his position involve bathing in chocolate again?

"And those baritones!"

There was something Lewis Black said once, that made me think, "spot on" when I heard it: We know its good music when we are sitting in a bar and that song comes on. We say to ourself "S.O.B..I remember I was there when...?!".

Its a difficult task to judge a crowds meter...and Cesario has a tough task in this position. I do think its a needed position. But finding that bridge between emotional connections and memories (like the guy in the bar)- with what the corps want with progression in music. How to appease all parties?

The hardest thing for him I think, is the need to make some bottom line decisions and, in his own right creating a standard in his remarks. Its a complex world he is working in Almost like trying to be a campaign manager for a president. You have to delve into the thinking of various groups of people, and figure it out. If he can manage that, and make sense of it all to the rest of us- then win.

Oh..and he should bring in Mark Sylvester. Give him an assistant position. I believe this will help.

The fact that you have a strong emotional connection to a song doesn't make it a great song. It makes it a great song for you. I may hate that song. That's where the whole "entertainment/emotion" thing gets tricky. Personal example: I hate company fronts. I'm bored to tears because they're all the same and you know before it starts what it's going to be. Yet I watch stadiums full of people stand up and cheer for them every year. Am I wrong because I don't agree with the masses? No. I'm just "entertained" by different things.