SCV 2011

Thanks, Kenny G.

LOL

Whoa - Ligeti! What a great piece! People should remember that it is a tone poem...a sound picture. All the rising stuff...that's (duh...) the staircase. When it gets slower, that's the 'victim', perhaps at what seems to be the top of the stairs...but, wait - NO! - there's more...and it never ends...until it does, of course (with our hero falling right back into the pit?)

The work is tonal...though not necessarily functional. In that sense, it is akin to last season's Bartok. Dissonance serves the purpose of creating tension...which is usually the role it plays in music. Look for SCV to release that tension...in the end.

In THAT sense, it's much like Star 93...which as we all know had one release point...the final final.

FYE (for your enjoyment...or, 'education', if you're unable to enjoy...) - another Ligeti works...to broaden your palate. Note the tonal tension-release at the end of #5 (the first of the two movts. included...) at the 2:15 mark. At 2:20 - begins the smoking hot finale...and once again, a tension released functionally tonal ending -

Wow. Thanks for all the food for thought. This composer/piece is new to me, and your comments are very helpful. I really learned to love Bartok last season, and I am already liking Ligeti. I will check out the other work you mentioned. Thanks, again!

• Like 1

Thanks, Kenny G.

Gyorgi Ligeti...hmmm...How many people have actually ever heard of the guy? Anyone that's not a music major?

There are those that espouse that since you don't like it, the music is "above" you....they fail to realize that maybe, just maybe, the music ain't all that...

btw..Kenny G. has sold 75 million albums...Ligeti is probably around 75...

(the above rant was not directed at anyone that actually enjoys the avant garde musical stylings of Gyorgy Ligeti, but at the dumb%&$ looking down his nose at someone that doesn't perhaps appreciate what Ligeti's works will sound like in a drum corps environment...I'm guessing Kenny G. was the first artist that popped up on your ipod?)

Happy Christmahanukwanzakah!

Edited by skewerz

Gyorgi Ligeti...hmmm...How many people have actually ever heard of the guy? Anyone that's not a music major?

There are those that espouse that since you don't like it, the music is "above" you....they fail to realize that maybe, just maybe, the music ain't all that...

btw..Kenny G. has sold 75 million albums...Ligeti is probably around 75...

(the above rant was not directed at anyone that actually enjoys the avant garde musical stylings of Gyorgy Ligeti, but at the dumb%&$ looking down his nose at someone that doesn't perhaps appreciate what Ligeti's works will sound like in a drum corps environment...I'm guessing Kenny G. was the first artist that popped up on your ipod?)

Happy Christmahanukwanzakah!

You don't have to be a music major to learn. I'm a music major, but I didn't even know who Ligeti was until a friend dragged me to an Atlanta Symphony Orchestra concert where they played one of his pieces, "Lontano." Like every single other composer or musician I've ever liked in the history of things, I looked him up when I got home because I liked how that piece of music sounded, and how it made me feel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gy%C3%B6rgy_Ligeti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89tudes_(Ligeti)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosph%C3%A8res

My Christmas gift to you. Go learn. God forbid you know a little more about something.

• Like 2

So many of us seem to forget that we were not born knowing what the 'good' composers sound like; we discovered them along our way, like everyone does. So this bashing of Ligeti - and Bartok, et al - is symptomatic of one of drum corps' problems: we're currently a victim of our previous success.

This happens all the time with art: jazz, theater, symphony orchestras, museums...all of them struggle to get their 'fans' to return with only 'trust us...it will be great' as the lure. Which is why you see Monet and the Renaissance over and over at the museum, the swing era and Bop on the jazz radio station, Beethoven/Brahms/Bach at the concert hall, and tried and true live theater works.

To the Atlanta person who checked out the ASO with Ligeti: you did what every arts organization wishes people would do: you tried it. That you liked it was, I think, largely due to your willingness to go through the door in the first place. To those who already know they don't like Ligeti (or checked out the youtube clip of Staircase...and are NOW sure he's a bum...): such a loss. You remind me of that faux ad you'll sometimes see on Craigslist, or in classifieds:

"For Sale: 24 volume Encyclopedia...never used, brand new. No longer need: spouse knows everything".

Don't be that spouse -

Funny...I'm not much of a Ligeti fan myself. I don't own any of his records (not one of the 75 I guess). But I'm willing to trust SCV that they'll turn his piece into a wonderful production in their 2011 show. If I'm wrong, then I'll skip their show and get a hot dog. But I do look forward to seeing what's NEW with drum corps...whether it's a new take on old material (Madison), or something never before seen and heard on the face of the earth (Blue Devils). There is the potential for pleasure in both.

• Like 2

Funny...I'm not much of a Ligeti fan myself. I don't own any of his records (not one of the 75 I guess). But I'm willing to trust SCV that they'll turn his piece into a wonderful production in their 2011 show. If I'm wrong, then I'll skip their show and get a hot dog.

I've listened to the clip on Youtube and I'm not crazy about it. Yet, this goes back to a thread that was once posted about liking a drum corps interpretation of material more than the source music....there are many examples where I was not crazy about the source music but loved a particular drum corps version of it.

trust SCV that they'll turn his piece into a wonderful production

No Doubt!

When they announced Ballet for Martha for 2009 I was disappointed as I've heard the composition so much I couldn't possibly enjoy it again. I was wrong. I watch that show and I still get chills. Even the frickn' warmup where they move into the opening formation is beautiful!

If I'm wrong, then I'll skip their show and get a hot dog.

I don't believe you. It's Vanguard for Pete's sake! They could do "Ballet for Lady Gaga" and I would watch. Seriously, if a corps does music I'm not crazy about, I would look for other things to enjoy in the show.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1