Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

One line from that press release on the YEA site:

"The singer will have a roll in the summer production"

I certainly hope that singer sings better than their website writer spells. :tongue:

well, maybe the singer will need nourishment mid-sho. that or it may feed into jokes about how the Cadets feed their kids bread and water and abuse them ( and no they don't do that to the kids, but some people have spun some great yarns about that...and they are yarns.

Edited by Jeff Ream

I am very excited to see The Cadets this year. Actually, every year I've always been real excited to see what was up the sleaves of the designers. This year, obviously, is no different.

The Cadets like to push the boundaries of drum corps. I mean, hello?! Where has everyone been the last decade or so!!?? Anway, the use of vocals in this piece, to me, is critical. You need it. It wont work without it. There is another thread floating around this site somewhere of a high school marching band playing "Angels", and the opening segment with the singer was BEAUTIFUL (maybe HOP can somehow find that girl).

It wont be the whole show, more than likely. It's The Cadets. They somehow seem to make it work. Sometimes their shows tend to be "over-desinged", but untimately the product as a whole usually works.

Some people just need to take a chill pill, sit back, be open minded and wait until the summer to pass judgement. Who knows, maybe this will be our 2011 DCI Champ this year.

If the vocals stay to what's written in the "Angels" piece, it shouldn't be too much (well, compared to previous years, anyway).

However, if this becomes the "let's use our vocalist for every segue, she can sing all ethereal-like and "angelic" and tie our theme all together" crutch, then, well, I guess we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

There's a tendency for Hop to overplay his hand thematically . . .at least these past few years.

that's why I suggested a synth patch. I know watching WGI percussion, they usually seem to be blended and balanced far better and come off as less intrusive to the ears

You make it seem like vocalists are like a gateway drug or something

well, they did kinda lead to the use of pre-recorded narration

I am very excited to see The Cadets this year. Actually, every year I've always been real excited to see what was up the sleaves of the designers. This year, obviously, is no different.

The Cadets like to push the boundaries of drum corps. I mean, hello?! Where has everyone been the last decade or so!!?? Anway, the use of vocals in this piece, to me, is critical. You need it. It wont work without it. There is another thread floating around this site somewhere of a high school marching band playing "Angels", and the opening segment with the singer was BEAUTIFUL (maybe HOP can somehow find that girl).

It wont be the whole show, more than likely. It's The Cadets. They somehow seem to make it work. Sometimes their shows tend to be "over-desinged", but untimately the product as a whole usually works.

Some people just need to take a chill pill, sit back, be open minded and wait until the summer to pass judgement. Who knows, maybe this will be our 2011 DCI Champ this year.

I dunno. I've seen more than a few shows work that "screamed" for vocals work without having any

That's very true, but baseball's rules and regulations are more so designed to keep teams and players honest. I may be wrong, but innovation and creativity isn't exactly considered cheating but rather "hit or miss" attempts at pushing the envelope for entertainment. Giving players Superballs, tennis balls, whatever kind of balls, corked bats, tennis rackets, I mean that's blatantly cheating am I right? As far as I'm concerned, using new things in drum corps isn't cheating, otherwise all of the drum corps today would be immediately forfeit their right to compete.

But it is! Amplification is the steroids (or corked bats) of drum corps, a cheat used to overcome the essential challenge of the competition, which in drum corps is to produce a big (and beautiful) sound outdoors with acoustic instruments. Any fool can make a big sound with an amplifier. And just because everyone is using steroids to make the ball go farther, or amplification to make the sound bigger, doesn't make it right.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Obviously we all have different opinions but its good that in a way you don't completely exclude yourself from a program because it contains things you don't like.

I remember this one Cavalier fan sat behind me in 2005 and when the Cadets came on he started screaming "GET THAT @%#$%@# DOOR OFF THE FIELD!" he left before the performance even started because of it! I mean, that kind of mentality doesn't do anyone any good. I wonder how he felt when the Cavies had ladders the year after... :P

Just as children can't pick their parents, corps can't pick their fans. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

that's why I suggested a synth patch. I know watching WGI percussion, they usually seem to be blended and balanced far better and come off as less intrusive to the ears

Are you saying use a synth patch in the place of vocals where the sound of human voice (replicating that of an angel) is as critical as the lyrics are that she is singing?! wow.

I mean, I love electronics and I even think THAT is over doing it.

I mean, if you're able to keep the integrity of the piece by keeping the vocals why wouldn't you! It's so lovely, angelic, and would add a very nice mystique to the opening of the cadets 2011 production.

For all we know, this singing section could be part of the pre-show.

Goodness me. I've never thought anyone would be against singing. It's perfect in side and outside drum corps context ESPECIALLY when its a solo as it appears to be in Angels in the Architecture. (can't cover Brass sound since in AITA there is only sound effects behind her voice.

Edited by charlie1223

Fixed. Vocals of any kind in drum corps makes me gag, I've never one time heard it done in any way that benefited the program.

The Cadets are putting out the call for a "female singer with a soprano voice".

What if the call went out for " male singer with a very high soprano voice "? Or " female singer with a very low baritone voice " ? Could be worse, right ? So look on the bright side.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1